RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Anyone rent out their camper?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone rent out their camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grossing $2000.00 a month is not an unreasonable figure. A RV will rent for at least a conservative $100.00 a day. Rent it for An entire month or 30 days produces $3000.00. rent it for 3 out of 4 weeks give you $2K.
The question is $2K gross enough to turn a profit after expenses?

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grubworm

Weatherford oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have rental houses. I would set fire to my camper before I would rent it out. It is unbelievable wha people do to rental property.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

imq707s wrote:

To me the idea seems crazy, but there is a lady that my wife works with that rents out her camper through one of those rental places. Apparently, she told my wife that with their 24ft bumper pull camper, on average they make around $2,000 a month by renting it out to people.
I’m sure there are extra insurance fees, repairs, and other things that come out of your profit.
I don’t think I could ever be ok with strangers towing my camper behind their vehicle, which may or may not be rated to tow it, by someone who may or may not have ever towed anything before, and could care less about beating it up and damaging it. It just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Does anyone have personal experience it this? Is it as bad as it sounds? There are some many little things I have to do with my camper as far as towing it, setting it up, using the heater/fridge/stove/oven…..having someone with no experience just hook up to it at take off down the road would scare the hell out of me.

ask her how many and what types of repairs they've had to make to their rented RV. if the answer is 'none' then her honesty comes into question.

* This post was edited 01/06/21 06:33pm by rk911 *

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shoot, I won't even loan out our toyhauler to family. LOL

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This past summer we were at a drag race at Bristol and my friends rented a trailer for 4 days from a private party. #1000 Cash. They claimed they rented out it often.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grubworm wrote:

I have rental houses. I would set fire to my camper before I would rent it out. It is unbelievable wha people do to rental property.

I have one rental house, if it caught fire I wouldn't call the fire department.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grubworm wrote:

yup...we tried being landlords once and got burned..badly. never again and we wouldn't loan our MH to anyone...period.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry about you alls rental problems. I have 3 and one guy has been in there 30+ years, one over 20, and the last has been in there 4 years without a problem. Had a problem years ago and in 30 days the sheriff put them out. You need to spot problems early and also take care of your property. You are a slum lord you reap what you sow. I won't rent my RV---its mine for me.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the stories I have heard, I would rather get the Corona Virus than deal with those problems.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Grossing $2000.00 a month is not an unreasonable figure. A RV will rent for at least a conservative $100.00 a day. Rent it for An entire month or 30 days produces $3000.00. rent it for 3 out of 4 weeks give you $2K.
The question is $2K gross enough to turn a profit after expenses?
Only in a perfect world would you get 30 days of rental income in a month, 12 months a year, and the world is far from perfect. In most places there would only be demand for the rental a few months a year. Then you have to account for down days when the rig is returned and you do a turn around on cleaning, setup etc. Seldom will you have the luxury of the next renter wanting it exactly on the day you will have it ready from the previous renter. You will have to account for the fact sometimes people will not return on time, and if you don't have the trailer available you will have a VERY big problem when the next renter shows up at your door.
In the supposed example the people are using a rental company to obtain the renters. They will take a fee for the service, probably around 33 to 50% of the rent. So you get 50 to 70% of the income along with 100% of the depreciation and risk. Like others have posted, if it was so lucrative why haven't savvy business people already saturated the market?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone rent out their camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.