RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/06/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

would be nice if it was in the diesel f350, but would be kind of a pain if you couldn't just use your key fob and start it and actavate it. would suck to have to go out and start the truck then push a button.

Steve


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meh, what's old is now new again..


~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~


"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln


spoon059

Just north of D.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/03/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/06/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

The hybrid is rated to pull up to 12,700lbs and in the tests that I have seen outpulls everything else on the road short of big diesels.

I'm not worried about max pull, I'm worried about PAYLOAD. I'm not sold on lighter half tons claiming 3000 lbs payload. I prefer the solid construction of a 3/4 or 1 ton when towing my family of 5 plus dogs.


2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/07/21 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big detail for us, the truck needs a stack or a hose to keep the exhaust fumes away from the camper. Esp if you stay hitched, or you neighbor is close.

If you need it on a 250/350/450 diesel or gas there are lots of upfitters that will get it done. PTO or under hood, I have used/seen both generators and hydraulic drives on pick ups.

It is only money, common in oil field applications.

Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/07/21 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

would be nice if it was in the diesel f350, but would be kind of a pain if you couldn't just use your key fob and start it and actavate it. would suck to have to go out and start the truck then push a button.

Steve


Not sure exactly what you mean, but in the link in the original post they say that the truck and generator can be controlled by your smart phone - no need to go out to the truck.


_________________________________________________________
2008 F-250 CrewCab 5.4L,
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor


Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/07/21 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

Big detail for us, the truck needs a stack or a hose to keep the exhaust fumes away from the camper. Esp if you stay hitched, or you neighbor is close.
...


I don't think it is any different than having a separate "camping generator". I don't think I've ever seen a stack on a 2 or 3,000 watt Honda at a campground.

Emissions would be an interesting thing - I wonder if the truck engine actually has less emissions than a stand alone camping generator?

The specs and capabilities of the the generator F150 are very intriguing.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/07/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I'd much rather wear out a $600 inverter generator than a $40k truck.


When is the last time you've worn out an engine on a vehicle?


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/07/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

thomas201 wrote:

Big detail for us, the truck needs a stack or a hose to keep the exhaust fumes away from the camper. Esp if you stay hitched, or you neighbor is close.
...


I don't think it is any different than having a separate "camping generator". I don't think I've ever seen a stack on a 2 or 3,000 watt Honda at a campground.

Emissions would be an interesting thing - I wonder if the truck engine actually has less emissions than a stand alone camping generator?

The specs and capabilities of the the generator F150 are very intriguing.


I can't think of any small generator that has either EFI or a catalytic converter so I would bet on the Ford being cleaner. TFL conducted a fuel consumption test that showed the Ford being on par with the best Honda generator available so CO2 emissions are in line too. Not only that but the Honda EU7000 costs much more than the option in the Ford, is only rated for 5,500 watts continuously vs 7,500 watts for the F150 and the Honda weighs 261 lbs dry. I wouldn't want to lift one of those in and out of my truck bed very often. Finally, the Honda has to run continuously since it doesn't have any battery backup.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/07/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

Groover wrote:

The hybrid is rated to pull up to 12,700lbs and in the tests that I have seen outpulls everything else on the road short of big diesels.

I'm not worried about max pull, I'm worried about PAYLOAD. I'm not sold on lighter half tons claiming 3000 lbs payload. I prefer the solid construction of a 3/4 or 1 ton when towing my family of 5 plus dogs.


Payload will be an issue for many. The crewcab F150 4wd apparently weighs around 6,000lbs empty but it does come with max payload package which gives is a gross weight of 7,850lbs for about 1,800lbs of payload. I would like to see the weight distribution and how much extra capacity the rear axle has. I am speculating that the GVWR may be conservative to keep the truck in the "half ton" category and that it would handle its rating easily.

Regardless, if the option catches on the tech could easily be applied to heavier trucks and I would be more surprised than not if that doesn't happen soon. Hopefully with a bigger battery to boot.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/07/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I'd much rather wear out a $600 inverter generator than a $40k truck.


When is the last time you've worn out an engine on a vehicle?


If you are looking at it for rare exceptional use (ie: the park power goes out), sure.

But if you are using it 100nights per year, that's could easily be an extra 1000-1500hr per year under less than ideal very light loads. If you "drive new every 2", not a big deal but that could be the equivalent of an extra 50-100k miles per year, so it could change the equation a lot in terms of how long an engine lasts.

PS: I didn't catch it in the article but how much are they charging for this system?


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.