RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
S Davis

Western WA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

S Davis wrote:

That is basically what I am setting up on my truck, 100amp charging from the truck, 675ah of batteries and a 2800 watt outback inverter. I am using it to power my commercial cap and truck camper when I get it. I can use the remote start and get charging from the truck for using the a/c or larger loads.


Sweet. Recommend using a catastrophic failure type fuse on the input to the inverter. Maybe a 250 amp...ish.


Yep outback manual recommends 250amp fuse, I also have a fuse on each pair of Trojan T-105s.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

mich800 wrote:

Groover wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Groover wrote:

$1,900 is a whole lot less than an inverter drive standalone generator of that capacity, if you can even find one. The closest Honda makes 2,000 less watts and costs $3k more.


Thanks for the info but I'm not sure where you are getting pricing.

A 2400w honda isn't $4900 (7500w is way overkill for a 30amp RV so not really relevant). Heck helped friends pick out a 3100w Champion last year for $550. That will handle pretty much anything a 1/2ton truck can pull. So far the only real advantage is you save some bed space.


Is the Ford system rated for peak or continuous load?

Also, Honda and every other generator manufacturer produces larger units that can put out 2000-2400w continuous.

If you are really worried about bed space and lugging it around, a simpler option is to add a generator platform to the A-frame on the trailer and bolt/lock it down.

If all you want is 2,000 watts, which is all that the Honda put out continuously, you can get that option on almost all of the 2021 F150's for $995. And that is less than the comparable Honda also. Plus, no fuel to mess with, it is always there and it is a lot harder to walk away with.


The only thing I would add it the Honda cannot put out 2000 watts continuously. I have tried, it cannot it will overload.


If the Ford rating, Peak or Continuous? If could easily be the same situation.

Also Honda and every other generator manufacturer puts out a wide variety of wattage rated generators.

Really if it's just keeping the bed clear and not having to lug it around, you can be a mount for the A-frame of the trailer that can be bolted/locked down with a cover.


From what I have been able to find out the Ford rating is for continuous output. On the other hand, the Honda EU2200 is rated for only 1800 watts continuously. I have not been able to find a 2400 watt Honda like vahalla360 mentioned.

Also, the EU2200 is rated for 3.2hrs at full output.
Here are the ratings for Ford duration:
"Say you want to park somewhere remote and use the truck to power that camper. The hybrid 2.4-kW system will run for 85 hours on a full tank of gas at maximum load of 2,400 watts. The 7.2-kW system will go for 32 hours under the same max load conditions. If you’re not using all of those 7,200 watts, the system will continue for much longer, the company said."

The Ford can be controlled through your phone and it can be used to power the camper while traveling. Both could add a lot of convenience.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

mich800 wrote:

Groover wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Groover wrote:

$1,900 is a whole lot less than an inverter drive standalone generator of that capacity, if you can even find one. The closest Honda makes 2,000 less watts and costs $3k more.


Thanks for the info but I'm not sure where you are getting pricing.

A 2400w honda isn't $4900 (7500w is way overkill for a 30amp RV so not really relevant). Heck helped friends pick out a 3100w Champion last year for $550. That will handle pretty much anything a 1/2ton truck can pull. So far the only real advantage is you save some bed space.


Is the Ford system rated for peak or continuous load?

Also, Honda and every other generator manufacturer produces larger units that can put out 2000-2400w continuous.

If you are really worried about bed space and lugging it around, a simpler option is to add a generator platform to the A-frame on the trailer and bolt/lock it down.

If all you want is 2,000 watts, which is all that the Honda put out continuously, you can get that option on almost all of the 2021 F150's for $995. And that is less than the comparable Honda also. Plus, no fuel to mess with, it is always there and it is a lot harder to walk away with.


The only thing I would add it the Honda cannot put out 2000 watts continuously. I have tried, it cannot it will overload.


If the Ford rating, Peak or Continuous? If could easily be the same situation.

Also Honda and every other generator manufacturer puts out a wide variety of wattage rated generators.

Really if it's just keeping the bed clear and not having to lug it around, you can be a mount for the A-frame of the trailer that can be bolted/locked down with a cover.


From what I have been able to find out the Ford rating is for continuous output. On the other hand, the Honda EU2200 is rated for only 1800 watts continuously. I have not been able to find a 2400 watt Honda like vahalla360 mentioned.

Also, the EU2200 is rated for 3.2hrs at full output.
Here are the ratings for Ford duration:
"Say you want to park somewhere remote and use the truck to power that camper. The hybrid 2.4-kW system will run for 85 hours on a full tank of gas at maximum load of 2,400 watts. The 7.2-kW system will go for 32 hours under the same max load conditions. If you’re not using all of those 7,200 watts, the system will continue for much longer, the company said."

The Ford can be controlled through your phone and it can be used to power the camper while traveling. Both could add a lot of convenience.


Yah. The link to to the youtube video in my post above demonstrates this pretty well.

Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/11/21 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

The “it’s useful for a contractor “ suggestions obviously come from people who have not worked out of a truck building things.
From 30+ years in residential, light and heavy commercial and heavy civil construction, this “convenience” would rarely be the best option or even a viable one.
“Some” trades, some situations, yes. Can’t imagine even close to enough to make it marketable en mass for construction.
Still a cool feature , but preemptively giving it more credit than its due, or lack of understanding of power requirements.


Biggest help for contractors would be charging the batteries for all the tools. More and more contractors are using almost all battery powered tools.

For a big construction site? Eh... you're going to have power run to the site anyways so the truck generator won't help.

Smaller additions and handyman work - it would be great to have that truck power available.

But... why do I think Ford will only have the generators on fully loaded trucks?

I will be impressed if they generator is an affordable option on "base level" trucks. Whatever "base level" is considered today.


_________________________________________________________
2008 F-250 CrewCab 5.4L,
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor


phemens

Montreal, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 09/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/11/21 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I can tell, it's only available as option on the F150's. Any news or info on availability for the Super Duty range?


2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

mich800

Pontiac, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/11/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phemens wrote:

From what I can tell, it's only available as option on the F150's. Any news or info on availability for the Super Duty range?


It is part of the hybrid package. Ford has publicly stated no superduty hybrid in the works. But that does not mean they are not actually developing something.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/11/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

The “it’s useful for a contractor “ suggestions obviously come from people who have not worked out of a truck building things.
From 30+ years in residential, light and heavy commercial and heavy civil construction, this “convenience” would rarely be the best option or even a viable one.
“Some” trades, some situations, yes. Can’t imagine even close to enough to make it marketable en mass for construction.
Still a cool feature , but preemptively giving it more credit than its due, or lack of understanding of power requirements.


Biggest help for contractors would be charging the batteries for all the tools. More and more contractors are using almost all battery powered tools.

For a big construction site? Eh... you're going to have power run to the site anyways so the truck generator won't help.

Smaller additions and handyman work - it would be great to have that truck power available.

But... why do I think Ford will only have the generators on fully loaded trucks?

I will be impressed if they generator is an affordable option on "base level" trucks. Whatever "base level" is considered today.


I won't be surprised if dealers only stock the hybrid on fully loaded trucks but if you go back to the link I gave on page 3 you will find that you can build your own truck with the hybrid in any trim level you want. It is only available with the crew cab and it does cost more in trucks that have less expensive base engines, meaning it will cost you a fair amount to get one if all you wanted was the 3.3l engine in a standard cab.

The 2kw option is available in a supercab with the 2.7l engine for a lot less money if that is enough power for you.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.