RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: I Like Verizon, But.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> I Like Verizon, But.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

I'm also wondering if the problem has to do with the implementation of 5G. Probably not, but it appears coincidental.[emoticon]

Could be.... Im from the burbs outside Philadelphia PA... Have a coworker that has that issue, went to Verizon and it was a setting between 5g on her phone.... may be worth a question at the local Verizon store...

I have had ZERO issues with Verizon for MANY years

I highly doubt "5G" is going to be the problem, 5G has considerably LESS coverage per cell tower which will require a all new network of cell towers much closer spaced..

OP most likely "landed" in a Verizon "dead zone" and the only cure to that is moving to a new carrier that has better cell tower coverage..

The maps I posted tell a telling tail of not much coverage to the West and East of Amarillo.. One Tower North and not much coverage to the south.. If OP is East or west of Amarillo proper they have NO coverage..

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for all the replies. Keep in mind the lack of coverage only occurs during SOME early mornings, and is perfect at other times.
BTW, there were no problems this morning (Jan 8). As I mentioned, I will probably visit the local Verizon store in the near future.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Thanks again for all the replies. Keep in mind the lack of coverage only occurs during SOME early mornings, and is perfect at other times.
BTW, there were no problems this morning (Jan 8). As I mentioned, I will probably visit the local Verizon store in the near future.

That is what I have had happen when dealing with not enough cell tower coverage. Sometimes could get signal if I was standing at a big picture window to the south.. Sometimes that didn't work and stepping out on the porch would help.. Sometimes nothing worked..

Moved to a DIFFERENT service carrier that had MORE towers around me fixed the problem..

I recommend that you review the cell tower map link I gave you, in your case, both Verizon and ATT have very poor coverage in your area if you are outside the highly populated center of Amarillo.

Verizon only has 8 towers and ATT only has 6 towers.

You only get about 5 miles of usable coverage per tower for LTE 4g so you have to pick the service that has a tower closest to your location that you will mainly be at. Of course, the closer to the tower, the better it will work.

I will add, that there are ZERO Sprint or T mobile towers anywhere near Amarillo according to that map..

You ARE in a cellular "dessert" so to speak sort of like I am.

You could try a new phone with Verizon, may or may not help but do be aware doing so will most likely lock you into a multi yr contract which means if it doesn't work you are stuck with that choice for the length of that contract.

On edit..
You can also check the real signal strength, on most Andriod phones you can see that under SIM Card Status.. It will be shown in a negative value of dBm, lower the number, the stronger the signal is and the batter chance of the phone working..

In my case, my ATT phone is registering -120 through -123dBm where I am typing this and I have one bar showing.. my phone works at that level but is on the edge of not..

If I move 2 ft to the door I get -116dBm and 2 bars of signal.. Much better..

On a rainy day, I might not be able to use the phone, rain kills the signal.. Sometimes the phone will work, but no Internet connection on those days..

I know you are new to the area, but I would recommend you check with some of the "local" folks around you (not the Verizon or ATT stores as they are just trying to sell products)to see what service they are using and how well does it work for them..

* This post was edited 01/08/21 11:35am by Gdetrailer *

gotsmart

a bit too late though

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Another problem you are describing is related to capacity planning. It may very well be that Verizon's local node is being overwhelmed at certain times of day by more cell phone usage than it was designed to handle. If this is the case then Verizon needs to increase the local network capacity to keep up with usage.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just found out how to check sim card status, as Gdetrailer instructed. Right now it reads about -105 dBm, which is good. I'll check again when the problem appears. Thanks again

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> I Like Verizon, But.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.