|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Just got back fro the local bike shop

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were all ready to buy two new bikes and it was a no go!

The owner said it is impossible to get any new ones from the manufacturers.
We are hearing this from our local RV dealer as well as many hardware items.

The government wants us to stimulate the economy, yet it seems there is a shortage of everything, so we can't.

I reminds me of when I was a kid growing up during World War II

Guy

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You understand that due to Covid there is a supply chain crisis right? Lots of parts for everything made overseas and primarily China. Heck even regular mail is taking up to a month to deliver. Add to that, bike companies produce a finite number of a particular model in a given year, and that number has shrunk as productions shops had to close down. To add to the issue, when Covid initially hit and everyone was home, demand for bicycles went through the roof. Almost all supplies in the US exhausted in weeks. I think you are a little late to the party. But once vaccines start ramping up and things get moving again, the market will get flooded with lightly used bikes - and RV's - and everything else. Have you checked craiglist or Pinkbike for a particular bike you are looking for?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been waiting since last August for a home gym. Have no idea when it will be delivered. We will wait patiently for it as I no longer care to go to a gym-the germaphobe in me is now working full tilt. As Way2Roll indicated there are major supply disruptions which will continue for some time. You can still stimulate the economy by doing take-out at restaurants, keeping any loans you may have up-to-date and playing for hours on Amazon LOL! Every little bit helps.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty much every thing outdoor related is sold out locally. Tried to get kayaks local, with no success. Got them an amazon. But they tend to go pretty quick, then come back up in a week or two.

You might try Amazon for a bike, might be the same type of thing as our kayaks

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazon or Ebay could be a option.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were interested in getting Kayaks. We started looking for a pair early July. Finally found a pair at Sam's Club at the end of July and quickly ordered them. It took almost a month to get them, but they were finally delivered towards the end of August.

I had been in need of a Bicycle for a little while. I found one on Amazon at the end of 2019, but was waiting for the price to come down from $500. Then the pandemic hit and it was out of stock for about 10 months. Just before Christmas, the price came down about $75 and Amazon listed it as Temporarily Out of Stock, which means it can be ordered, so I ordered it the day after Christmas. I got an email about a week later that stated expected delivery was mid to end of February. Then a few days later, I got an email stating it would be end of January, beginning of February. The bike arrived on Friday, Jan 8th. It's a Schwinn, made in China. According to the bike's box, it was 1 of 270 bikes in the shipment. After mine shipped, I noticed it was in stock on Amazon. Then a couple days later, it was out of stock again and still is.

There are lots of things that are difficult to come by. We wanted to get a set of Adjustable Dumb Bells for a 17 year old son for Christmas. We found a great pair at Bowflex, but their web site stated it could take up to 4 months for delivery!

Laptops and Computer components are also difficult to come by. I've built a few desktops during the pandemic and have had to use brands I'd never used before, because the brands I usually use did not have items available.

It will probably be a long time before supplies return to normal levels.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

As much as I buy through Amazon; on buying a high end road bike even if I had to pay more I would like to buy from a local shop.
They take care of their customers and if something is wrong or needs adjusting, they will go out of their way to help.
I have two picked out and in the cart on Amazon, but they will be my last resort

Guy

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

As much as I buy through Amazon; on buying a high end road bike even if I had to pay more I would like to buy from a local shop.
They take care of their customers and if something is wrong or needs adjusting, they will go out of their way to help.
I have two picked out and in the cart on Amazon, but they will be my last resort

Guy

I applaud you in supporting your LBS. Personally I wouldn't order a bike from a big box retailer and as a cyclist that personal touch and the brand make a difference. That's not saying however, that I haven't ordered bikes from places like CBI. Excellent shops that also have a web presence and are supported by their manufacturers and in turn the LBS's that sell that brand. The same bikes you want may be out there somewhere, you just need to find them. I am fairly brand loyal - my last 3 bikes are Rocky Mountain and they actually helped me track down a bike I was looking for at a shop 1,000 miles away. Arranged the sale and shipping all though the shop and my my LBS to receive it. Pretty painless process. Not sure if your LBS has looked to see if another shop will do that, some shops and brands will, some won't. I think the higher up the food chain you go the more they'll cater to that sort of thing. What bike(s) specifically are you looking for? Brand/model/size etc...

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never buy a adult bicycle from anyplace but a full service bike shop.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Guy
The two are not mutually exclusive. I purchase a lot on ebay from small Mom and Pop stores, places like ebay give them a link to Internet Sales to help them stay in business. If you have a local bike shop by all means support them to help them stay in business.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Just got back fro the local bike shop
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.