RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Any confessions? (Stuck in the mud)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Any confessions? (Stuck in the mud)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Been stuck 100s of times back when I used to off-road all the time.
Never been and probably never will get stuck with my truck and camper.
I do get stuck a few times a year on my ATV. That will never end. LOL

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what was going on there, but it looks like i could have driven through that with my Wife’s Subaru . Sure doesn’t look like much. I have driven through a lot worse with trucks and Jeeps. Looks more like an eye dee ten tee error. Looks like he may have let off the throttle in the middle of it, no bueno.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven’t gotten stuck, you weren’t trying! Lol
That was just plain embarrassing though. Nothing like getting stuck in the only mud puddle on a dry road!
I did get stuck in the only snowdrift on an otherwise bare road. Well, my buddy was driving his new 4x4, it was late, we were hammered and didn’t see the little trail around a crusty old 100’ long probably 5’ deep drift that we decided we could punch through! Lol
Got about perfectly in the middle of it. And that was all.
About -20 that night. 3 of us in the truck in basically street clothes. And truck run out of gas about 2am to add to the fun. Like to froze to death that night.
1 guy was hypothermic by morning. Had to slap him around to get him to his senses a little and we jogged out about 5 miles to the county road at first light. The running warmed us up and helped with the hangovers!
The video, stretch, slack, then hammer down method must have been for affect. That truck only needed a nudge not a clean and jerk recovery.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

Not sure what was going on there, but it looks like i could have driven through that with my Wife’s Subaru . Sure doesn’t look like much. I have driven through a lot worse with trucks and Jeeps. Looks more like an eye dee ten tee error. Looks like he may have let off the throttle in the middle of it, no bueno.

And probably started out in 2wd since everything else was dry and hadn’t turned off traction control. So bam, stuck like chuck when you could have driven through with some momentum, 4wd and no traction control.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No wonder the driver doesn't want to confess

gitpicker2009

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what surprised me was how he used the elasticity of the rope and gave it a hard jerk. I was sort of panicked when he started rolling, thinking he was going to snap the rope or pull the hitch point off. Very impressive result though.

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh yeah, all 14,000 glorious lbs, up to the differential, tie downs and running boards. Many, many miles off the beaten path in the SW desert. We came to a deep muddy puddle that covered the whole dirt road. We saw that others had gone around on slightly higher ground at some point in the past. Well, turns out that was probably the worse of the 2 routes...Nothing but soft muddy ground.

The 4 of us tried to dig out, used our blocks, dead brush under tires. No use, all too slippery. We spent the night and tried again in the a.m. Over many hours we ended up collecting every rock and piece of gravel we could find, in a place that was 95% dirt, dug out some more to make a more shallow escape "ramp" in front of each tire, lined those areas with the rocks for traction. That finally worked.
Learned our lesson on that one, maybe...Feel bad about the torn up terrain though. Thankfully not much vegetation to damage.

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That camper looks heavy for that truck

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only an idiot would have taken that line with that rig.

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

So... Any of us have a confession to make?

Stuck in the mud...

I'm impressed they could even make a call from that far out. Have you ever been this stick before and what did you do to get out assuming you didn't call Matt?

I buried a '67 chevy 2wd truck with a brand new 1972 8' truck camper. The camper was a few weeks old. Back then most of my state/COE campgrounds were dirt trails dozed around a area with picnic tables where they wanted people to park.
A sudden squall line built just NW of the COE lake we were fishing on, resulting in a huge amount of rain in 30 mins with 70 mph winds. The boat was in the water so no way we had time to pack up/load the boat on the trailer and make a run for pavement about 3/4 miles away.
Next morning we got'er ready to leave for home. I made 2' before the truck settled on the axles.
Someone got a local rancher with a big green tractor to help with stuck vehicles. He even backed boat trailers down the dirt boat ramp so we could load our boats...and never charged any thing and wouldn't take what we offered.
I've been stuck other times back then but never where I couldn't work/dig myself out.

I subscribe to Matt's you tube. Hell even he gets stuck...but I sure would call him a name.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Any confessions? (Stuck in the mud)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.