RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Chock RV on snow/ice. NEED HELP!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Chock RV on snow/ice. NEED HELP!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've overnighted many times in snow and ice, but have always found level ground and left my TT hooked up.

Chocking on ice is not easy, as the risk of sliding is high.

I carry a truck full of hardware wherever I go so my inclination would be to get one of my many blocks of wood I carry, along with some 4 or 5 inch decking screws and screw blocks of 2X8 or 2X6 into the ground against the tires. Assuming you are not on pavement. A few screws through the blocks into the ground and it's not going anywhere. Do both sides. You could screw your chocks to the blocks if needed.

In addition to that, if it will reach, crank your hitch jack down without using a block. The pipe will dig into the ice and provide an anchor point.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob, those are good suggestions. But if you crank your jack down to serve as an anchor point without the jack wheel, and if the trailer then shifts a little after you chock the wheels and unhitch, the stem of the jack can be bent a little, making it impossible to retract the jack.

Please don't ask how I know this.

The good news is that replacing a bent jack is not that expensive or difficult.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good ideas above. Very informative.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Bob, those are good suggestions. But if you crank your jack down to serve as an anchor point without the jack wheel, and if the trailer then shifts a little after you chock the wheels and unhitch, the stem of the jack can be bent a little, making it impossible to retract the jack.

Please don't ask how I know this.

The good news is that replacing a bent jack is not that expensive or difficult.

Something I always think of when I see/hear of a RV trailer set down with out wheel on the jack; Often when I want something rigid I make a triangle, because once set, as long as the length of a side does not change, the angles can't change. Now in my mind I see a* triangle, where the weight meets ground at tire, (A) where the jack meets ground, (B) and where jack is attached to tongue. (C). Now the point A should be set so it can't move when you unhook, or the trailer can roll away. And the distance A-C is set when trailer built/loaded. The angle at C is set when the jack is mounted. When you crank the jack down to unhook, you set the lengths of A-B and B-C. Most trailers, your done, nothing changes until ready to hook back up. But a RV trailer, we want the floor level, so we start changing the length of B-C. With a wheel at B, that lets the length A-B also change, no issue. But the angle at C takes more force as the length A-B resists the change in length. Will the jack/jack mount take that strain? Most times. But can you be sure all the jacks that get bent is because the jack was holding the trailer in place?
*I said 'a triangle' but there are the same triangles on each side of the trailer. And a tandem trailer has 4 triangles. But they are all putting stress on the same point.

Skinny D

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

Just get you some #10 1/2 long hexed head sheet metal screw and screw into the bottom of the rubber chock. Those will bite into the ice and keep them from slipping. You can always remove them for better weather camping.

Do you mean to use the hex head as the ice stud pointing down, with the threaded party of the screw biting up into the chock?

I had considered running screws through a 2x6 with just enough of the threaded tip pointing out to act as the ice studs. You think the hex head would bite better?

And once I got 6' of 2x6, I'd still have enough room to pull up on my levelers for full leveling.

Skinny D

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

To release them drive off and then give them a couple gentle hits with something heavy - chunk of firewood - to break them free. If you overdid the hot water freeze in you might have to use hot water to thaw them free again.

My 2x6s froze to the ground last time... only seemed to contact ground/ice on 1 of 6 sides, but I COULD NOT break free a few of them. The ice was stronger than the doug fir and I just hammered off pieces of wood, and ended up just leaving some wood frozen to the ground.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skinny D wrote:

My 2x6s froze to the ground last time... only seemed to contact ground/ice on 1 of 6 sides, but I COULD NOT break free a few of them. The ice was stronger than the doug fir and I just hammered off pieces of wood, and ended up just leaving some wood frozen to the ground.

That's why I carry a crowbar. DAMHIK

Sand on the ground where the contact points between the RV and the ground are.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skinny D wrote:

cougar28 wrote:

Just get you some #10 1/2 long hexed head sheet metal screw and screw into the bottom of the rubber chock. Those will bite into the ice and keep them from slipping. You can always remove them for better weather camping.

Do you mean to use the hex head as the ice stud pointing down, with the threaded party of the screw biting up into the chock?

I had considered running screws through a 2x6 with just enough of the threaded tip pointing out to act as the ice studs. You think the hex head would bite better?

And once I got 6' of 2x6, I'd still have enough room to pull up on my levelers for full leveling.

Yes using the head as the ice stud. Better -can't say for sure but I've used many of them over the year for ice studs in off road tire -atv-sxs and dirt bike. You can also buy them specifically for just that.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/21 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think opposite...when we camp on the beach, you can't use any kind of blocking in the sand to raise the low side...so we use a shovel and dig out under the wheels to lower the high side!

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use your golf shoes instead of wheel chocks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Chock RV on snow/ice. NEED HELP!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.