|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Vaccinations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry Monkey44, I don't agree with you. If Florida had developed and paid for the vaccine, you have a point. But this was a national, federal govt effort and no one citizen has more right than another. Also vaccinating snowbirds actually helps to protect Florida residents.

A major problem is that we don't know the parameters of vaccine distribution. It a perfect world from a public health perspective (in my opinion) the states with more individuals in risk categories (Florida for example) would get a larger share of vaccine. Also, areas that are having major spikes in cases, positivity and hospitalizations (like LA county), vaccine distribution and administration should be another priority.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

Sorry Monkey44, I don't agree with you. If Florida had developed and paid for the vaccine, you have a point. But this was a national, federal govt effort and no one citizen has more right than another. Also vaccinating snowbirds actually helps to protect Florida residents.

A major problem is that we don't know the parameters of vaccine distribution. It a perfect world from a public health perspective (in my opinion) the states with more individuals in risk categories (Florida for example) would get a larger share of vaccine. Also, areas that are having major spikes in cases, positivity and hospitalizations (like LA county), vaccine distribution and administration should be another priority.

Probably no easy position here. But if state distribution relies on population, then someone from another state is using a vaccination destined for a Florida resident, OR a snowbird maybe. We have a large senior population, and a higher risk factor than some other states.

I'm gonna hold my position that residents of a state should get vaccine in that state. We all paid for the vaccine thru our taxes, or future taxes more likely. But paying for it and distributing it fairly are two different situations.

If your home state gets 1000 shots, and the last 100 are given to random out of state residents, and you or a family member stand in line at number 1001, and get no shot, how would you feel about those 100 from wherever?

That would mean 100 extra shots go to out of state residents, and 100 fewer shots go to the Florida residents. Based on you 'Feds pay for it' premise, Florida residents (or any state actually) receives a certain allocation. And out of state residents receiving that shot is removing that shot from someone local and from the state allotment.

No easy answer until production ramps up and the state allotment no longer enters the equation.

* This post was edited 01/26/21 07:00am by monkey44 *

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finger pointing here in Fl !
On the news this AM, the governor says the Feds are not sending enough.
The fed press secretary said that Fl has only used half of what was sent.

When we just got our shot up north, I believe we were told that they have to keep the same amount for the second shot that has been given out in the first

Who do we believe ?????

Guy

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any idea why (lack of a national strategy?) some states have distributed >50% of the doses received while other states seem to be holding back 1/2 of their allotted doses?

States ranked by percentage of COVID-19 vaccines administered: Jan. 25

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

In a perfect world, vaccine is distributed according to state permanent population, regardless that the Feds 'pay for it' ... WE taxpayers pay for it.

BUT, if an out of state resident take a shot belonging to Florida residents OR snowbirds, that's not acceptable. It takes away from actual Florida distribution, and from a legitimate Florida resident, whether a snowbird or a permanent home.

It's NOT about who pays or the money, it's about population allotments.

This is similar to an issue my son ran into. He lives in NH but his healthcare provider was still in MA. After numerous phone calls it appears neither state has made provisions for that scenario. He had not switched to a NH PCP as of yet because he was planning on moving out and didn't know where he'd be. Yesterday he switched providers and has a physical scheduled soon and at that point his history will be reviewed and his category will be determined.

The points about snowbirds are quite valid. I'm not sure the government considered any scenario other than where your legal residency resides.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another thought on vaccinating snowbirds. If an unvaccinated snowbird gets covid do they go to the hospital in their home state or in a hospital in FL? Which state bears the burden of treatment?

If someone can figure out how to vaccinate military personnel who are not in their home state (without affecting states vaccine allotments); someone can figure out to vaccinate snowbirds who are living out of their home state.

* This post was edited 01/26/21 07:42am by BCSnob *

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Here is another thought on vaccinating snowbirds. If an unvaccinated snowbird gets covid do they go to the hospital in their home state or in a hospital in FL? Which state bears the burden of treatment?

If someone can figure out how to vaccinate military personnel who are not in their home state (without affecting states vaccine allotments); someone can figure out to vaccinate snowbirds who are living out of their home state.

Sick individuals go to the closest hospital, which is why Arizona is vaccinating anyone who fits into the age/health category currently being enrolled. Snowbird spend a LOT of money in Arizona and are vital to the economy. Lack of Canadian snowbirds this year is impacting every RV resort in the greater Phoenix area. In fact, not only is Arizona giving snowbirds their first shot, they a HIGHLY recommend they stay long enough to get the second - and spend more money during that stay!

The problem was no clear direction about the vaccine distribution until last week when the opened up the 1B category to 65 and up, and told states not to hold back, but to use all they had to get the first doses out. Many states have not done that because they don't trust that there will be more supplies coming. It will shake itself out in the end, but in the mean time, it is extremely chaotic.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

The few folks I know who have dealt with Covid infections, say when you need to go to the hospital - you need it NOW. I'm assuming Snowbirds/tourists who get sick in FL will be a drag on the hospital systems. The one good point is that there are a LOT of hospitals in FL.

Regarding the link in a prior post re: how states are doing percentage-wise, in giving vaccinations: I think this goes back to the question: "Is it better to give a lot of people their first vaccination so they have *some* immunity; or do you hold back vaccine so a smaller population is fully vaccinated?" I heard Dr Fauci says that people should get both shots (assuming the vaccine is the 2-shot type) - so it is understandable that the states are holding back vaccine.

On the other hand, from a purely selfish standpoint, this (Florida) wait for vaccinations; the fear of being too far from the computer lest a new round of vaccine appointments opens up (it's like playing whack-a-mole against 100,000 other people).... is frustrating beyond words. Tomorrow morning Ed and I will be up at 5AM to try for vaccinations through Publix. I have signed up with a few Michigan entities who are handling vaccinations up north - and they will notify ME if appointments become available. I am fully prepared to drive like a madwoman back north if the opportunity arrives. I'm hoping when a few more vaccine brands become available, it will help....

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

Monaramblee wrote:

If a snowbird lives six months in Florida and six months in Michigan what decides which is the home residency?

Drivers license.

And vehicle license plates :-)

I think the idea of tourists coming to Florida to "steal" vaccine is WAY overblown (for starters because it's so darn hard to get an appointment). But the native Floridians are seeing out-of-state license plates at these vaccination sites, and get angry about the "thieves" even though the vast majority of those folks also are FL property owners or renters.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

The few folks I know who have dealt with Covid infections, say when you need to go to the hospital - you need it NOW. I'm assuming Snowbirds/tourists who get sick in FL will be a drag on the hospital systems. The one good point is that there are a LOT of hospitals in FL.
The question was asked to get people thinking about the possible consequences (and costs) to FL of having unvaccinated at risk non-residents living in FL vs vaccinating snowbirds. I don’t know if there is a right answer with the limited vaccine supply.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Vaccinations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.