|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Reviving flooded deep cycles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im still trying to wrap my head around 2 batteries in series, powering a light bulb for months, and only 1 battery died.

Now given i have not taken SG measurments. I picture the 2 batteries as 1 single larger battery. Since it was two 8v that are 4 cells each lets call it an 8s battery.

Its so weird how 4 of those cells were drained to zero. While the other 4 were depleted but not dead. While not identical in age and brand they are similar in capacity. I dont know if the voltage regulator and LED lights were still drawing small amounts of power when i discovered the dead battery. Its possible the battery that was drained low was on its way to being completely dead too. But the lights have been on for months. I would have expected 2 dead batteries. Maybe the voltage regular broke and stopped drawing power. Variables

Actually i was sitting here thinking. I think thats the answer....the voltage regulator. It has a little potentiometer that you turn to adjust output voltage. I bet as the battery voltage dropped, eventually the output voltage got down to zero. Thats why the 2nd battery was not drained to zero.

If it was a standard light bulb i would most likely have had 2 dead batteries? Its still interesting how the 1 year old battery is the battery that drained first. At some point i will have to weight the difference between the newer off brand battery and the old Trojan 8v.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im still trying to wrap my head around 2 batteries in series, powering a light bulb for months, and only 1 battery died.

A battery in series can go 100% open circuit. One cell or all cells. It's acts like an off switch.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it turn open circuit because of a mechanical failure? Or does the chemistry flip back and forth?

It's strange how my charger voltage display will turn on and off, just as if the battery was a switch and turning on and off. Just seems like a mechanical failure would be permanent. So I dont think it's that.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would it be a mistake to go straight into equalization charge voltage?
I started with a 5a charge for maybe 5 hours. Then it was a 7a charge today for a few hours.

Now im using my nice charger. Its taking 12a to maintain 2.45v per cell. I have it set to a 20a charge. But currently its taking 12a.

Would it be better to try and shake the plates clean using a 2.7v per cell charge?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never seen 8 volt batteries before

Why did one die and not the other.
Very unusual for two batteries even if they are "Twins" to be identical
one cell will always die first.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im still confused to it. I basically had 1 giant battery with 8 cells in series. Yet the 4 cells on the black battery drained to zero. While the 4 cells on the 10 year old trojan battery maintained voltage. Super super low at 7v but not completely down to zero volts like the other battery.

Maybe what im failing to comprehend is that the 8v battery drained to 7v was also completely dead. Maybe there isnt much difference between 0 volts and 7v when you are talking about 8v batteries?

Hope that makes sense.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Decided to use my SG tool. Im a weirdo and didnt want to use it on anything but my brand new costco 6v. I dont want some old crappy batteries getting it dirty inside. I dont know the history of them old trojans. Then remembered this black battery was brand new and im the only one who has touched it. So i know besides at the factory no dirty water or dust has gotten inside.

Hard to see but its not even registering at the lowest 1.100 mark yet. That was interesting to see. Shows how much SG tells you. I took the reading while the battery was absorbing 12a at 2.45v per cell.

[image]

[image]

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

32 volts was the standard USA rural electrification standard in the US.
Many commercial marine vessels are 32 volt 16-cell systems.
(4) 4 cell batteries. 37.5 voltage regulator bulk setting.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to attempt to revive a battery best I can say is to give it an equalization charge at 2.5 to 2.7 volts per cell. Keep going as long as the specific gravity is increasing in all cells until you reach full charge. MEX might have better details.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can go out there and change the charge voltage right now. Its on a golf cart i have it outside in the middle of nowhere in case the sucker burst into flames.

In order to do a 2.7v charge i have to trick the charger. Call the 4s battery a 5s and then reduce the voltage. It wont let me go up to 2.7.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Reviving flooded deep cycles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.