RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Everyone Check your Female 7 pin connector.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Everyone Check your Female 7 pin connector.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

One warning as well, if a dealer wired your plug, don’t be surprised it the wiring is nonstandard. Don’t just blindly wire to the standard.

Good point, so I am taking apart both male ends of the cord as well to check on that. My setup is standard from Northern Lite campers. I thought I had everything fixed on this camper. I will be so happy to have halfway decent connections that maybe let the batteries charge to some degree while running. All the lights should be brighter as well.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a TT, but this is related...

After a few years of towing I was having to really "jiggle" my trailer plug to get everything to work. I had to replace the bracket holding the truck's receiver plug so I just got a new bracket and plug.

Now everything works! If you are having to "play" with your plugs a lot to get them to work after a few years, it may be easier just to replace the plug(s).

Oh, and any work done by a dealer? Check and double check it!

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the condition of the blades and contact (female) portions you can clean them with a bit of emery cloth and spring them back tighter then use a bit of di-electric grease. That could make them as good as new, of course that depends on the wiring having been done correctly when installed.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone it's good to get all these tips. I was traveling early one dark morning without any lights on the back end. So dangerous. these guys that haven't a care in the world about their workmanship should be retired to the homeless camp in Borneo. LOL.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRA, you’re right, the 7 pin round is better quality, but unless one only uses their “own” trailers or carrys adapters, literally everything else with light duty trucks and trailers is the 7 pin flat.
It’s a trailer plug and not a philosophical discussion IMO. It is what it is. And really, most failures are caused by physical damage to the plugs, not “wearing out.”

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

What is the make, model and year of your camper?

Sorry about not answering sooner... it is an 03 NL 10-2000 RR, owned since new. The cord was done okay and now the lights are much brighter, everything works nice now.

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never seen that color code before with a 7 pin RV plug, but I like it. The pic I am attaching is what I have always seen. I never liked it because it does not match the yellow/left turn - green/right turn - brown /tail convention of the flat 4 connectors.
Maybe they are changing it over for that reason?

[image]

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/21 02:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good here [emoticon]. Use a 2 pin lift gate plug, plus two four pin round (one modified to be a 3 pin to prevent the back up cam from getting plugged into the running lights socket), and a six pin round for the intercom [emoticon]

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

NRALIFR

Let’s Go Girls! [End of Quote]

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

NRA, you’re right, the 7 pin round is better quality, but unless one only uses their “own” trailers or carrys adapters, literally everything else with light duty trucks and trailers is the 7 pin flat.
It’s a trailer plug and not a philosophical discussion IMO. It is what it is. And really, most failures are caused by physical damage to the plugs, not “wearing out.”

All it would take is for everyone else to start doing things MY WAY and we’d be good. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/12/21 05:30am by NRALIFR *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemi Joel wrote:

I've never seen that color code before with a 7 pin RV plug, but I like it.

Per my post above, there are 2 wiring color standards. Vehicle standard which is the brown, running lights and yellow/green, L and R turn signals. And the "RV" standard it's called, with what you posted.
Idk when this happened, but I encountered it a few years ago trying to make a quick change using a prewired pigtail. Got it all wired up color for color on the trailer, but "that trailer" had the regular vehicle standard and the pigtail was the RV standard. Ended up doing pin outs to figure it out, in the rain.... and at the time thought it was some cheep Chinese trailer plug that was wired wrong, lol!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Everyone Check your Female 7 pin connector.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.