RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Towing capacity vs max cargo weight rating

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Towing capacity vs max cargo weight rating

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ognend

South Florida

Full Member

Joined: 06/25/2011

View Profile



Posted: 01/16/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Boomerweps wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Boomerweps wrote:


GM DOES have a complete towing specs sticker on the door frame now, pretty cool. Ford needs to get with the program.


Ford is with the program. They do put the payload sticker on the door jam.


No, they aren’t. Payload sticker is truck payload only and tongue weight becomes part of that payload. Important in towing considerations, yes.

GM has an actual towing sticker stating towing capacity on the specific truck. They have a payload sticker, too, as required by law now. Towing sticker 2019 lists GCWR, GVWR, GAWR RR, Max Payload, Max tongue weight, curb weight. 2020 got reformatted and added Max conventional towing weight, tongue weight, gooseneck Max tow, tongue weight.

This could also be covered by a GCWR sticker, which now has to reverse calculated using the Ford towing Guide ;(

Love my F150, Ford is my go to vehicle manufacturer, but they could do so much better.


The OP wasn't complaining about finding the tow rating. They were complaining about the PAYLOAD (which is on the door jam)...then referencing an unrelated number.


You are correct.

Slownsy

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/16/21 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No it says combined, that means weight of passengers and and anything else added to vehicle.


Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/16/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slownsy wrote:

No it says combined, that means weight of passengers and and anything else added to vehicle.


This^^^ Now we know your actual truck wt, when it left the factory, which is 7,839, and more realistic. Anything added, bed mat, mud flaps tonneau cover, and hitch, will reduce this 2,161 available payload.

But still, the good news...follow those axle/tire ratings.

Jerry

* This post was edited 01/16/21 05:27pm by MFL *





ognend

South Florida

Full Member

Joined: 06/25/2011

View Profile



Posted: 01/16/21 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Slownsy wrote:

No it says combined, that means weight of passengers and and anything else added to vehicle.


This^^^ Now we know your actual truck wt, when it left the factory, which is 7,839, and more realistic. Anything added, bed mat, mud flaps tonneau cover, and hitch, will reduce this 2,161 available payload.

But still, the good news...follow those axle/tire ratings.

Jerry


OK so this basically means that Ford is saying you can have a 15,100 lbs trailer behind you (max towing capacity for GN/5w) but after a full tank of diesel (26*8 lbs) and a driver (let's assume someone like me - 150 lbs), this mythical trailer can only weigh 1800 lbs on the gooseneck ball. If you add another 150 lbs person next to you, you can only put 1650 lbs on the hitch. A toolbox in the back with some tools or a few 60lb s square bales of hay and the mythical 15,100 lbs gooseneck trailer can now weigh only 1500 lbs on the gooseneck ball.

So, what do people use these 3/4 ton trucks for, then? I guess between my wife and I and our dog and some suitcases, I would be overweight with a 6500 lbs living quarters horse trailer (assuming 25% on the hitch). Such a trailer does not even exist in a living quarters version [emoticon]

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/17/21 02:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

MFL wrote:

Slownsy wrote:

No it says combined, that means weight of passengers and and anything else added to vehicle.


This^^^ Now we know your actual truck wt, when it left the factory, which is 7,839, and more realistic. Anything added, bed mat, mud flaps tonneau cover, and hitch, will reduce this 2,161 available payload.

But still, the good news...follow those axle/tire ratings.

Jerry


OK so this basically means that Ford is saying you can have a 15,100 lbs trailer behind you (max towing capacity for GN/5w) but after a full tank of diesel (26*8 lbs) and a driver (let's assume someone like me - 150 lbs), this mythical trailer can only weigh 1800 lbs on the gooseneck ball. If you add another 150 lbs person next to you, you can only put 1650 lbs on the hitch. A toolbox in the back with some tools or a few 60lb s square bales of hay and the mythical 15,100 lbs gooseneck trailer can now weigh only 1500 lbs on the gooseneck ball.

So, what do people use these 3/4 ton trucks for, then? I guess between my wife and I and our dog and some suitcases, I would be overweight with a 6500 lbs living quarters horse trailer (assuming 25% on the hitch). Such a trailer does not even exist in a living quarters version [emoticon]


full fuel tank doesn't affect payload, it's already factored in. so payload is ONLY anything in the truck other than the full fuel tank.
this is why towing capacity numbers are the second thing to consider, after payload capacity. nearly all tow vehicles will run out of payload WAY before getting close to the max towing capacity.

this is clearly detailed in the Ford owners manual towing section.


Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes


ognend

South Florida

Full Member

Joined: 06/25/2011

View Profile



Posted: 01/17/21 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:


full fuel tank doesn't affect payload, it's already factored in. so payload is ONLY anything in the truck other than the full fuel tank.
this is why towing capacity numbers are the second thing to consider, after payload capacity. nearly all tow vehicles will run out of payload WAY before getting close to the max towing capacity.

this is clearly detailed in the Ford owners manual towing section.


Cool, thanks, I finally understand (although I did not know that the vehicle leaves the factory with a full tank of diesel?). I have a $60,000 piece of metal that weighs almost 8,000 lbs but can barely tow a 6,000 lbs living quarters horse trailer (if such thing were to exist) [emoticon]. I guess I should either look into the new gassers for real or into a dually. I don't want to tow much, just a 10,000-11,000 lbs GVWR living quarters horse trailer, which means I need at least 3,000 lbs payload capacity.

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/17/21 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, your truck did not leave the factory full of fuel. Your selling dealer may fill fuel (mine does). With so many pages of opinions, some facts, can be misleading. Throw in a forum of armchair legal advisors, makes it more difficult than it needs to be.

Your truck's GCVWR, allows for towing a 15K GN/FW, that is a fact! Your RAWR, which includes tires/wheels, axle, and suspension, dictates the load you can carry. I and others, said way early in this thread, that after getting separate axle weights, when no trailer connected, will tell you how much more you can add to the rear axle, in your case, the gooseneck trailer hitch wt.

You have a very capable truck! Again...getting a new gas truck, is your choice, but while it may show a larger number on that payload sticker, your RAWR will be similar, and is what matters.

Jerry

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/03/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/17/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well with the Ram 2500 to 3500 you have an unknown in that they have different frames. As far as axle manufacture ratings go the full floating axles used in HD pickups for years going back to to the late 90’s, most have had a rating over 10k, it is the trucks frame that comes into play.

Ram rates 6000 front, 6500 rear in the 2500, given all the variables. The frame isn't unknown, because Ram wouldn't be able to rate the axles for more weight than the frame can hold. And the only difference in the frame is that the 2500 is designed to have coils whereas the 3500 is designed to have coils.


2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

rhagfo

Portland, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/17/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

No, your truck did not leave the factory full of fuel. Your selling dealer may fill fuel (mine does). With so many pages of opinions, some facts, can be misleading. Throw in a forum of armchair legal advisors, makes it more difficult than it needs to be.

Your truck's GCVWR, allows for towing a 15K GN/FW, that is a fact! Your RAWR, which includes tires/wheels, axle, and suspension, dictates the load you can carry. I and others, said way early in this thread, that after getting separate axle weights, when no trailer connected, will tell you how much more you can add to the rear axle, in your case, the gooseneck trailer hitch wt.

You have a very capable truck! Again...getting a new gas truck, is your choice, but while it may show a larger number on that payload sticker, your RAWR will be similar, and is what matters.

Jerry


Well MFL you are also giving a forum legal opinion.
To a fact the 15,000# towing rating is what the truck is rated to pull, it may not be able to carry the pin weight associated with that weight. Any F2500 I have read about on this and other forums that even get near max axle rating needed air bags to level due to Ford putting soft rear springs on them.

You also make this statement "Your RAWR, which includes tires/wheels, axle, and suspension, dictates the load you can carry." you have forgotten frame.
In 2021 Ford and GM have started upping the GVWR of 250/2500's to as high as 11,500# at which point they are now a Class 3 truck and should be labeled as 350/3500!


Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"


TomG2

Central Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/17/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get a truck with a big enough RAWR and head on down the road. Even if it has a weak engine and transmission, or is subject to frame cracking. RAWR rules! I read it on the Internet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Towing capacity vs max cargo weight rating
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.