RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: How difficult to install new brake drums

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > How difficult to install new brake drums

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Taffy.C

MN

Full Member

Joined: 02/03/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TT is 17 years old and I've never had work done on the brakes. It's been in storage for a few years and I'm about to bring it out, replace the tires, and do some surface restoration. My question - I figure its probably a good idea to replace the brake drums at this stage and I'm wondering how difficult that is? I'm fairly practical and can use a wrench, but I've never done any significant mechanical repairs on cars or trailers. It seems like I'll save a LOT by doing it myself too.

Any thoughts on how difficult? Any special tools required? Maybe some pointers "how to" posts or videos?

I believe that I have 3,500 lb Dexter axles with 10" drums. I'd prefer to go with self adjusting - current ones are manual.

Also, is it simpler to replace the whole hub/drum assembly vs just the brake kit assembly?

Appreciate thoughts/help.

Daniel.


2003 Explorer Limited 4X4 V8 Advancetrac 3.73 Axle
Jayco Kiwi Too 22U
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy


bgum

South Louisiana

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace the complete axle and brakes. Cost will be a little more but easier and quicker. Any decent trailer shop can do it for you. It will cost about $75 more per axle for a complete new job. Labor may be less.

* This post was edited 01/10/21 08:27am by bgum *

Lwiddis

Death Valley NP

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should learn from an experienced person. Don’t wing it alone on the first time IMO.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


Loganhorse

Kentucky

New Member

Joined: 01/02/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taffy.C wrote:

My TT is 17 years old and I've never had work done on the brakes. It's been in storage for a few years and I'm about to bring it out, replace the tires, and do some surface restoration. My question - I figure its probably a good idea to replace the brake drums at this stage and I'm wondering how difficult that is? I'm fairly practical and can use a wrench, but I've never done any significant mechanical repairs on cars or trailers. It seems like I'll save a LOT by doing it myself too.

Any thoughts on how difficult? Any special tools required? Maybe some pointers "how to" posts or videos?

I believe that I have 3,500 lb Dexter axles with 10" drums. I'd prefer to go with self adjusting - current ones are manual.

Also, is it simpler to replace the whole hub/drum assembly vs just the brake kit assembly?

Appreciate thoughts/help.

Daniel.


Can I ask why you are replacing the drum? Are they worn down?


2010 Coachman Freedom Express M-291 QBS

Taffy.C

MN

Full Member

Joined: 02/03/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loganhorse wrote:

Can I ask why you are replacing the drum? Are they worn down?


Brakes were not engaging with much resistance last time I used the trailer ( a few years ago - and they were adjusted correctly) and I'm having some connectivity issues now as well. I'm fairly confident that it isn't in the controller/tow vehicle, although I still have a couple of checks to do there. Also, I've never had the drums opened/inspected in the life of the trailer - only had them adjusted. I just figured it was probably simpler to replace, since I don't have a lot of time to spend on it.

Loganhorse

Kentucky

New Member

Joined: 01/02/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taffy.C wrote:

Loganhorse wrote:

Can I ask why you are replacing the drum? Are they worn down?


Brakes were not engaging with much resistance last time I used the trailer ( a few years ago - and they were adjusted correctly) and I'm having some connectivity issues now as well. I'm fairly confident that it isn't in the controller/tow vehicle, although I still have a couple of checks to do there. Also, I've never had the drums opened/inspected in the life of the trailer - only had them adjusted. I just figured it was probably simpler to replace, since I don't have a lot of time to spend on it.


I wouldn't replace them unless they are worn but that's just me. You can replace the whole brake assembly fairly easy and reuse the old drums.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter-Axle/23-468-469.html

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 01/10/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would replace the whole brake assembly or as someone suggested would be a good time to upgrade the axle .

Loganhorse

Kentucky

New Member

Joined: 01/02/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before replacing anything I would make sure you are getting voltage to the magnets.

prichardson

Lafayette, La

Senior Member

Joined: 10/31/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 01/10/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is unlikely you would need new drums unless they have gotten scored by bad brake shoes. The shoes however, would need to be changed if they are worn. The easy way is to replace the backing plate and shoes as an assembly; especially if you want to upgrade to self adjusting.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 01/10/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How To.....


Dexter Service Manual


Watch video, read up, jump in and get it done


Is it time for your medication or mine?


2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > How difficult to install new brake drums
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.