RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: How much weight could be eliminated?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How much weight could be eliminated?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

If I eliminated half of what you suggest I can guarantee my wife would no longer go camping with me. That would have a weight savings of . . .
I'd better not say.

[image]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really don’t think it would be worth the effort, but if that’s what you want, I’d sell the current one and buy a different one.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go the other way around:

My old frame pack
Early winters lit dimension tent (I love this thing)
Mummy bag
Seva stove
Pint of gas
Freeze dried food
One pot
One extra shirt
and so on
about 35# for a week
Not real comfy compared to any RV

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly even when we towed with a mini van I could tell zero difference in performance or mileage when I stripped my HTT down for a long trip. I probley shaved 250-300 pounds. Alot of what I removed I ended up missing. Maybe I am a minimalist compared to some. I found from dry to ready to camp my cargo weight was 550-575

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

10. Eliminate Camper
Weight: 4000lbs
Alternate: Tent
Alternate weight: 20lbs

Weight savings: 3980lbs
Alternate Notes: Solves weight issue completely

Exactly, because once you remove all the items listed, you'll basically have a plywood box on your truck. May as well just get a fiberglas topper for your F-150.

Most of the weight comes from what we pack. In the TT/5er world, average families add 1200-1500 lbs of stuff to the trailer.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All weights average range not specific

Jacks 23/28#ea depending brand, type
Stove top w/oven typ 3 burner 50/60#
Stove top typ 3 burner 10/20#
Generator built-in ~2500 watts 100#/125#
Water @ 8.3# per gal
Truck spare tire-75#

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The point of the post was to take a common issue that many in the community face and try to be creative to come up with viable solutions. How many times do we have people on here worried about weight issues for their truck? Not everyone is driving around in something that has a 6000lb payload capacity. Some people are barely at the edge or even over the edge and they are modifying their truck to make things work. Yes, there are viable solutions to modify a truck to carry more weight. I'm not personally concerned about a slightly overloaded truck and that isn't even the point of why I started this thread.

The problem with Truck Campers is we get all of the left over parts and pieces from the RV industry. For a product that is already sensitive to weight, my list included 4 or 5 things that could easily be changed and result in 300lb to 500lb of savings. I look at my AC, Furnace, Water Heater, Batteries and Jacks and think, gee, for such a weight sensitive product, I can't believe there aren't better options available to us. Turns out there are, they just aren't widely known and cost a fortune. That being said, the fact that these products do exist is a good thing. I won't spend $10,000 on my camper to change every thing out in a year to save 500lbs but if my water heater and furnace are going out and I am looking at options it would be nice to know there are better things to be had than the stock generic RV solutions at Camping World.

If you want to add something to my post that is in line with my first message, great, much appreciated. But if your comment is about how you don't want to compromise for your setup, great, that is your right, just don't feel the need to respond.

* This post was edited 01/11/21 02:06pm by adamis *

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

I won't spend $10,000 on my camper to change every thing out in a year to save 500lbs but if my water heater and furnace are going out and I am looking at options it would be nice to know there are better things to be had than the stock generic RV solutions at Camping World.

I got the point, sorry if you're not in the mood for me poking fun today...but you hit the nail on the head, people won't spend an extra $10,000 on a camper because it's 500 lbs lighter. Heck, these TCs are already expensive!

Most RVs of all types, including motorhomes and trailers, are built to a price point, and compromises are made in the design and construction to get the unit to market at the designated price point. I saw a new Class B camper van built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinted chassis, with diesel-powered combi heater drawing from the vehicle fuel tank, a lithium battery bank with 2000w inverter charged from a dedicated 200a alternator. This camper had the best of everything, but was priced at $175,000. I love tech, and looked at a combi heater for this Lance we just rebuilt, but sad to say it was a budget buster.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

adamis wrote:

I won't spend $10,000 on my camper to change every thing out in a year to save 500lbs but if my water heater and furnace are going out and I am looking at options it would be nice to know there are better things to be had than the stock generic RV solutions at Camping World.

I got the point, sorry if you're not in the mood for me poking fun today...but you hit the nail on the head, people won't spend an extra $10,000 on a camper because it's 500 lbs lighter. Heck, these TCs are already expensive!

Most RVs of all types, including motorhomes and trailers, are built to a price point, and compromises are made in the design and construction to get the unit to market at the designated price point. I saw a new Class B camper van built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinted chassis, with diesel-powered combi heater drawing from the vehicle fuel tank, a lithium battery bank with 2000w inverter charged from a dedicated 200a alternator. This camper had the best of everything, but was priced at $175,000. I love tech, and looked at a combi heater for this Lance we just rebuilt, but sad to say it was a budget buster.

I appreciate your response. It isn't that I'm bent out of shape by the replies so much, just saw this going in a non productive direction to the original post. I am all for some good ribbing. I just wanted this thread to be more about talking about ideas and options available to help save weight for those that need to or are interested. Not all options make sense for all people but some options might make sense for some people.

Hoping this thread will get back on track or die out if there isn't enough interest in the topic to keep it alive.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mentioned getting a different one since all of the RV appliances/generator etc are all relatively expensive, so I think you’d be better off selling the current one and buying one without it or one where all of these thinks don’t work to get a better deal.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How much weight could be eliminated?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.