|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Skylight/roof repair

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jesseannie

Roseburg, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a problem with the skylight in the shower of my travel trailer leaking I had used dicor twice previously and was very careful with the application of the caulking.
It still leaked.
I live in rainy Oregon and camp year around so I wasn't going to park it with a blue tarp on it....lol.
So I bought a qt of liquid Flex Seal (as seen on TV) I dried off the area with a towel and heated and dried it carefully with a hair dryer. I again carefully filled any suspect holes and cracks with Dicor and brushed one coat of the thick coating about 6 inches wide around and up on the perimeter of the plastic skylight.
Success! We have had lots of rain since the repair and it is bone dry inside.
I am a believer!

Jesseannie

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well then you may be interested in This Recent Thread about Flex Seal [emoticon]

In rainy Oregon UV may not be a problem..

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, using the Dicor you covered 6 inches, the same girth as you did with flexseal?
Did you dicore over the screws too?
I can't imagine Dicore Lap sealant not working. I suspect user error, so curious what your method was.
Dicore is good for RVs since it is a good idea to re-do this every few years anyway. Dicore is easy to remove and re-apply.
Sounds like by a few years the flexseal will deteriorate so can be cleaned away with a small wisk broom at least.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Well then you may be interested in This Recent Thread about Flex Seal [emoticon]

In rainy Oregon UV may not be a problem..

Use Henry 887 instead.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let us know how it's holding up in 6 or 8 months.

jesseannie

Roseburg, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

So, using the Dicor you covered 6 inches, the same girth as you did with flexseal?
Did you dicore over the screws too?
I can't imagine Dicore Lap sealant not working. I suspect user error, so curious what your method was.
Dicore is good for RVs since it is a good idea to re-do this every few years anyway. Dicore is easy to remove and re-apply.
Sounds like by a few years the flexseal will deteriorate so can be cleaned away with a small wisk broom at least.

I covered the area thoroughly I know what I am doing, I spent 50 years in commercial construction.
The issue with the Dicor for this job in my opinion is the small hairline cracks and fissures that happen after application and I doesn't "flow" into those small spaces like a liquid.
Thanks for your upbeat post.

jesseannie

Roseburg, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am always hesitant to post an experience I have had that others may benefit from on this forum.
There are always those who are more experienced and have different opinions, and are always more than willing to share them.
This worked for me I thought I would share.
I am probably better off being an observer and not posting.

Jesseannie

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you had a leak at one time (even if it is sealed now with whatever method) you still may have a ticking time bomb. What I mean is that depending on how much moisture got in, there could be potential for damage.

When I had my campers, I would perform religious maintenance on them. Even with that regiment schedule, there was an instance where water got in near my skylight... I think it might have been from the adjacent vent.

in addition to removing and resealing with self leveling roof sealant made for RV's I ended up replacing the vent and skylight as there was more deterioration than I could have imagined (and all this even with pretty strict inspection and upkeep... the potential is there.) I also had to perform minor repair of the roof frame as well.

I guess what I am saying is even though there is no leak at this time, keep an eye on possible future compromised roof structure.

Before:
[image]
[image]

After:
[image]
[image]

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jesseannie wrote:

I am always hesitant to post an experience I have had that others may benefit from on this forum.
There are always those who are more experienced and have different opinions, and are always more than willing to share them.
This worked for me I thought I would share.
I am probably better off being an observer and not posting.

Jesseannie

I'm so sorry, jesseannie. Civility is at an all-time low these days.

I wish I knew the cure.

However, I don't think the solution is for good people to withdraw.

I wish that more people would heed Thumper's mom's advice. And along those lines, a lot of people's mothers would be disappointed if they saw how their kids were behaving online.

[image]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fred42

Charlotte, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but if the skylight itself has a small crack, what product would work on that?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Skylight/roof repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.