|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Skylight/roof repair

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fred42 wrote:

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but if the skylight itself has a small crack, what product would work on that?

I would use a good caulk or sealnat.
I used Quad Max on my camper:
https://www.ositough.com/en/products/view-all-products/window-sealant-window-caulking-quad-max.html

When I did maintenance one time before my skylight overhaul repair, I tried Eterna-Bond on the flat flanges where it meets the roof. I did not have good luck with that method. I thoroughly cleaned the surface as that is very important, but it did not stick which prompted me to completely remove the EB (not fun on the portion of the roof where it DID adhere.

I have read where others have used EB on the skylight with better results than me. I guess you could try it on a sample area otherwise another method might need to be used.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fred42 wrote:

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but if the skylight itself has a small crack, what product would work on that?

Presuming you're not talking about the $20 crank up vent. If so you can get a new cover piece super cheap.
If you want transparent and last a long time, I would use a piece of clear paint protective film like 3M Clear Bra or similar.
And I wouldn't be afraid to put it on the inside instead and save the trip onto the roof if you were so inclined.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jesseannie wrote:

I am a believer!

Come back in a year and tell us how well it held up.

Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Climb up the ladder and fall thru the skylight?
Seems odd.

d3500ram: Looks terrific!!! Although I would have used eternabond.

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, needed to sidestep once up on the roof... it was the only place on the back of the TC that they could place it due to the floor plan layout, not too bad once one gets used to it.

I did use Etrna bond for the actual roof repair. I needed to peel it back about 10 inches to expose and work the roof framing and then laid it back down with the EB on top and all around.

I did not want to EB over the new skylight flange since the first attempt (on the old bubble did not stick.) Also- did not want anything over the new, except for Dicor, so that if the skylight ever needed future replacement then it would be easier to only remove sealant for any new bubble install.

BTW- there is a strip of butyl between the new EB on top of the roof and under the skylight flange with the sealant over it all including new SS fasteners.

RockyMt

Castle Rock Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report, thanks for the tip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Skylight/roof repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.