|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Snow loads for Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone with any experience storing a trailer outside for winter and the build up of snow on the roof? I know about winterizing so no issue there. I can get a cover for the trailer but it is 34 ft. My question is once you have it all covered and parked, can the roof hold 3 feet of accumulated snow on a flat roof? The trailer is well built being a NUWA, but I don't want to pay the big bucks to storage it if I can help it. Any thoughts?

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In three winters, I never had a problem with a foot or so of snow as long as it was not wet which translates to heavy. I tried to stay ahead of the game by cleaning it off when I had the time. The most I had to deal with was about 18 inches which caused no issues. Mind you the roof on my Wilderness was curved.

A good gauge might be to clean it when the RV dealers do their inventory.

2014 Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD Denali Duramax SRW
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winter snows are terrible in La Quinta I hear.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ssthrd wrote:

In three winters, I never had a problem with a foot or so of snow as long as it was not wet which translates to heavy. I tried to stay ahead of the game by cleaning it off when I had the time. The most I had to deal with was about 18 inches which caused no issues. Mind you the roof on my Wilderness was curved.

A good gauge might be to clean it when the RV dealers do their inventory.

No one will be around to clean it off so this is why I am asking the question

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can walk on your roof, I doubt the weight of snow would be a problem. The issue comes in the depth of the snow and it melting into places like your AC and vents where the water can then enter the RV. But I've had over a foot of snow on our previous MH and no issues whatsoever.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

If you can walk on your roof, I doubt the weight of snow would be a problem. The issue comes in the depth of the snow and it melting into places like your AC and vents where the water can then enter the RV. But I've had over a foot of snow on our previous MH and no issues whatsoever.

Agreed. I would first place a good quality thick tarp over the roof. Then get a a good quality cover so melt shouldn't find its way inside. It doesn't leak now, but also a little caulking around untis will help. I figure the weight may not be bad since we can walk on them but wanted to ask.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My biggest concern would be snow melt that re-freezes to ice at the bottom of the snow load. Ice is much heavier than snow.

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned 2 NUWA 5th wheels since 1996 and they get stored outside in the winter and not covered. Some winters we had multiple feet of snow. Neither unit suffered any roof damage and never leaked. I may have shoveled the snow off a couple of times in all those years but only when I was going somewhere. It is just too dangerous being on a slick roof.

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t be concerned at all. I live in an area that receives between 120-300 inches of snow every season (Central NY/Tug Hill Plateau) and there are tons of seasonal campers that get left outside all winter. I have never seen or heard of one not handling the snow load. And I can guarantee that a lot of those aren’t as well built or as good of condition as yours!

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a roof sag on our 1973 Vanguard 20' tt. in Manitoba. A 1986 24" snowstorm put 30" on the roof. It was parked in a sheltered area that drifted a lot.
The roof was framed with 2x2"! We, yes we, not a shop, removed all the roof, reframed with 2x4 alot more insulation and arc to the roof.
After 9 years in 1989 sold it for 90% of what we paid for it. The quality roof and better heating cooling insulation made the sale.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Snow loads for Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.