|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> T-Mobile Coverage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 04:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the merger of T-mobile with Sprint it's very very good. I still get occasional small dead spots but few and far between compared to the Omnipoint days..

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had T-Mobile once. Had to go to the back corner of our property to get a signal. Took it back to the store for a full refund. Have been a Verizon customer since.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would recommend looking at the tower maps before taking the plunge especially if you are going to be in a rural area..

THIS LINK will take you to a interactive tower map.

You can see where the towers are for Verizon, ATT, Sprint and T-Mobile in relation to where the address you put in.

For my area, I have to drive 20 minutes south west to get close enough to Sprint or T mobile towers and there is only three towers.. We ended up on ATT because ATT has more towers (more coverage) in our area..

From what I have been able to figure out is the best coverage is between Verizon and ATT over all, T-mobile and Sprint coverage is more in large cities than rural..

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It appears T-Mobile has better coverage than before, but not to the level of Verizon.

T-Mobile is offering a device similar to a MiFi for a 30-day free trial period that allows you to connect any cell phone to it so you can see how T-Mobile works in your area. They even give you 30 gigs of data.

pconroy328

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It appears T-Mobile has better coverage than before, but not to the level of Verizon.

T-Mobile is offering a device similar to a MiFi for a 30-day free trial period that allows you to connect any cell phone to it so you can see how T-Mobile works in your area. They even give you 30 gigs of data.

Mint Mobile is also running on the T-Mobile/Sprint networks. It's on my to-do list to grab an old phone, and try one of their SIM cards. $15 a month seems like the cheapest way to check coverage.

We travel almost exclusively west from here. Wyoming, MT, UT, ID, AZ, NM, CA, NV...

For us, ATT has had the most coverage (Most, not necessarily the best), VZ has been second. We haven't tried T-Mobile, but the general consensus is that their coverage isn't as good as the other two.

I hear if you head East, VZ becomes more of the dominant coverage vendor.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/21 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had Tmobile for the last 10+ years and within the last few years things have gotten far better than they used to be. I was regularly the butt of jokes from ATT/Verizon friends in the past but it's pretty much even now. Every carrier seems to have dead spots but I have no more than anyone else. For the money I'm very pleased with Tmobile.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have T mobile for about 6 years now, and the only place I couldn't get a signal was the beach in Oregon. It's been a couple years so it might be better now. The point made above about a flip phone as a back up is a good one. A flip phone needs only one tower when a smartphone needs two to function. My daughters flip phone worked at the beach when my smartphone wouldn't.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the last 2 days and several years I've made a few observations. This specifically covers I-69 in Michigan between flint and Port Huron (Blue water bridge)

As of as recently as last summer when I'd make that trip every 2 weeks with the motor home there were several "Dead spots" t-mobile wise. (I stream WTWW.US-transmitter 2 when traveling)

last two days, now that they claim they have FULLY merged Sprint towers in, I had to make the trip twice in my car for Medical reasons.. NOT ONE DROP. I did have a couple spots where it seemed to pause for oh. perhaps half a second. but it did not drop (I assume tower hand offs).

So.. Very pleased with the new coverage

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an opportunity to take my T-Mobile phone for a 400 miles "test drive" around AZ, CA and NV. Our drive took us through mostly small towns and hamlets in the desert and the coverage was mostly good. As expected with all carriers, there were a few spots along desolate areas where there was no signal. The phone also worked well in Death Valley, although data was 3G and some pages did take long to load and others did not load. Note: T-Mobile is in a partnership with other operators in some of the areas we traveled. At times, the phone said were were connected to USA Connect.

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will give you two answers
In days of old (last year) Going from Davison Mi to St.Clair Township (I-94 and Waddams) I had a few drop outs.. I stream WTWW.US transmitter 2 while driving (My favorite on the road radio) or WRCJFM.ORG (Classical radio) so I notice the drop outs.. Same when moving from Fair Play SC to Seneca or Pendelton. Alas I don't do that any more. Same when moving from MI to SC (Also no longer doing that)

When Traveling to Elkhart I had places where my T-Moble was 0.0 and Sprint was 99 or better (on a scale of 100) in fact the data speed on Sprint broke the speedometer.

Now this year. Sprint and T-mobile have merged.. I no longer drive the Motor home to St. Clair from Davison. but I do drive the car to Port Huron (The very end of I-94/69) and no dropouts.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> T-Mobile Coverage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.