RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Filling large propane tank on the road

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Filling large propane tank on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Land Yachters

Philadelphia

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bit colder here in the south than I was expecting and using significant amount of propane. I have built in 24 gal tank and wanted to ask how everyone finds local sources for propane fill ups. Any experience with delivery, or too expensive to consider?

Upper 20's at night with highs in the 30's-40's in GA and Alabama for past few weeks and we just started full timing. Brrrrr.

Appreciate the help.

Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some local propane companies may deliver. If you are in a CG they may have LP or know a place in town that will help. If all else fails I have resorted to taking the RV to places like Tractor supply or an RV dealer for a fill up. Call the dealer first as they too might know a delivery place in town. Rest assured, you aren't the first person to encounter this problem. Leverage what has probably already been figured out.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, so whatcha do, is pull up to any gas station tht fills propane, propane place, most farm stores, UHauls, etc. Get out of your coach, go inside, tell the person in the store you need to fill a propane tank, pull up next to the propane tank, they fill it, you go in and pay.
Generally in that order.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we snowbirded in the Tampa, Florida or San Antonio,Texas area for 18 years most of the motorhome owners there used a propane delivery service so they would not have to unhook and get the rig ready for travel just to fill propane. I have a travel trailer so I was able to just take the propane tanks to the fill station. I suspect the delivery cost for the motorhome is quite a bit higher than what I had to pay but would probably be worth it to not have to move.

You might want to consider moving a bit farther South where the temperatures are not so cold. Just about anything in Florida South of Interstate 4 would probably be ok. One thing for sure, you would use less propane![emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Local people should be able to help with delivery to your site.
And of course you have a portable electric heater!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are staying in an RV park...especially one catering to snowbirds, just ask the front office. I'm sure they know the local options.

If it's a busy park, odds are they either have propane on site or there is a delivery service that comes thru periodically. Whenever we've used them, they have always been very cost competitive to other sources.

If that doesn't work, call around to places that fill tanks. Good chance one will be able to do it. Gives you a good chance to exercise the motor in your motorhome.

If you are boondocking or otherwise not in a busy park, a special run just for your 24gal tank will likely incur an extra cost.

If you aren't tied to the park/area, give consideration to moving further south. With those temps, you will burn a fair amount of propane.

We just got into the RGV last weekend and the snowbird parks are empty and offering deals (We paid $299 for a month at a nice park). They also are having a cold snap but lows are still in the upper 30's and by the end of the week will be in the low 50's.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Filled my 50gal DP tank yesterday at a local propane place. Pulled up, filled up, paid, and done. Just search Propane near me on Google.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever parked in a campground with electric use an electric heater to help the furnace maintain heat inside. You are already paying for the electric.
We use those large fan forced quartz heaters from Walmart that sell for approx.$50.00 and they will pay for themselves in short order. They do a terrific job at heating. Our camping friends were trying to heat with those little ceramic heaters and I gave them one of ours and they say there was no comparison with the ones they had been using. The tall quartz is far superior. They also do not burn up the oxygen in the room.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned above ALWAYS first talk to the park office about such items.

One clue would be to walk around the park. If you see large tanks by some rigs, the 4 ft tall 50 or 100 tanks - some company is bringing a propane truck out to fill those. Ask.

Yes, you go through propane quickly when the temps drop down, even in the south. I've used a 30 lb/ 7 gal tank in four days, for three weeks, during a below freezing spell near Dallas.

We do use electric heaters and an electric fire place as supplements, but the furnace will still burn a lot of propane. And I've been told the colder it is, the less efficient propane is as a heat source.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the road I just look for the word Propane or the large tank installed at the service station.
If camped I ask the office.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Filling large propane tank on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.