RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Filling large propane tank on the road

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Filling large propane tank on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/21 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Land Yachters wrote:

A bit colder here in the south than I was expecting and using significant amount of propane. I have built in 24 gal tank and wanted to ask how everyone finds local sources for propane fill ups. Any experience with delivery, or too expensive to consider?

Upper 20's at night with highs in the 30's-40's in GA and Alabama for past few weeks and we just started full timing. Brrrrr.

Appreciate the help.

Well we full time and before starting this adventure we install a Cheap Heat system from RV Comfort Systems, this is an electric add on system to your existing gas furnace.
Cheap Heat

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many MH owners have extend a stay hookups.
Works well if you have a toad that can take the tank to a fill station.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Propane and fireplace stores that have a large tank on the side of the building, hardware stores, propane gas places, etc. Lots of places. First time I got mine filled, I was passing by a real nice looking fireplace and outdoor patio accessory place north of Albany GA. I turned around and went back and spied a large tank next to the building, so i went in and asked and the owner said he too owned a motorhome and yes, just pull it up. I told him the dealer filled it when I bought the mH and had no idea what I had used. Seem to recall I took about 5 gals was all. Ace Hardware Apalachicola FL has a tank next to the building, I spied while eating next door. I walked over and asked, they said they filled RV's all the time, so you just gotta keep your eyes peeled for the large tank.

Charles

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, the answer is effectively anywhere that sells propane in bulk that your rig fits or have it delivered.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most places that sell propane in bulk will be accessible to most motorhomes, at least in my experience. Maybe less so if you have a toad attached (and so it's difficult or impossible to back up). Around me in New England, at least, many hardware stores (as distinct from big-box home improvement stores) sell propane, as do Tractor Supply, some UHaul dealers, propane distributors, some gas stations, etc.

Some Pilot/Flying J truck stops have propane, and their web site lets you search based on that criteria. I stopped at one a couple days ago found with said web site and filled up my tank that was approaching empty.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 02:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most ACE hardware stores also sell propane.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One note for the OP

Propane usage for heating is very common across the US once a person gets away from large urban areas. The first few times might be a concern, but you will quickly learn what to look for, and how to get your tank filled.

Yes, it is a bit more of a chore if you have a motorhome unit, but not a major pain unless you intend to stay parked for several weeks/ months at a time. Even then, a supplemental external tank can be easy to arrange and keep full.

You might be surprised like I was at the number of people who winter in places with snow up past their hind end in RVs, TT, 5er, Class C, Class A - some RVers are in Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, the upper peninsula of Michigan, Maine even now.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Land Yachters

Philadelphia

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/21 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the input. Asked CG where we are staying, and where we are going, and no delivery available, but now know what to look for. I passed a large "gas" dealer here outside of Birmingham and called for delivery, and was told "NO" we don't do delivery to RVs. I was a bit put off on their attitude and was going to ask if was ok to pull RV into lot, but decided I didn't want to give them business due to attitude. We still have 30% left in the tank. God, I am tired of being cold here down south. Wake up cold, go to bed cold. Took the dog out last night in "freezing fog", and thought I was in the Twilight Zone. Couldn't see the dog at the end of the leash. I have been in lots of weird weather and seen this before, but it was odder than previous because there was no light besides my headlight and it kind of blinded me. That's why we love doing this ....right?

Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me, I would be headed farther South at the first opportunity! [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a 30 or 100 pound tank and an extended stay kit and run off it. Assuming you have toad and able to load the tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Filling large propane tank on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.