RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Extended warranty

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Extended warranty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
2 many 2

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/25/2015

View Profile



Posted: 01/12/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

I agree with others, but I do think the one caveat might be the relative handiness of the purchaser. Some of us will go to great lengths to self-diagnose and fix. For those in that camp, warranties are especially unnecessary. In 8.5 years with our current trailer it has been to the shop 2x - once to replace the tires and the other time to replace an axle. All other issues I have dealt with myself.

If, on the other hand, you are one that will blush at the notion of replacing a toilet seal or repairing a door slide, you either want a warranty (with a bunch of patience) or a financial plan to pay for the issues along the way.


Well Said [emoticon]

Desert Captain

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/12/21 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thought... Years ago I worked as a commercial boat Captain for an independent boat towing service {like AA for boats - Vessel assist is the big dog in that industry}. The business model for all of the towing services, much like ERS and others is based upon actuarial tables that tell them how many customers will require their services.

For most of these businesses the number is 92%... that will never have a claim and their premiums are pure profit. The other 8% will benefit but never underestimate the ability of the insurer {or lack of a better term} to dodge and mitigate their costs... at your expense. Bottom line is that industry wide roughly 9 out of 10 consumers never need this coverage so like the man said... Do you feel lucky well do ya?

[emoticon]





valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 01/13/21 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Postman wrote:

Hi,
Is it a good idea to buy the extended warranty from the Dealer?


Sure!!!!

You are a dealer correct? The profits are huge on these after market warrantees.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 01/13/21 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

I agree with others, but I do think the one caveat might be the relative handiness of the purchaser. Some of us will go to great lengths to self-diagnose and fix. For those in that camp, warranties are especially unnecessary. In 8.5 years with our current trailer it has been to the shop 2x - once to replace the tires and the other time to replace an axle. All other issues I have dealt with myself.

If, on the other hand, you are one that will blush at the notion of replacing a toilet seal or repairing a door slide, you either want a warranty (with a bunch of patience) or a financial plan to pay for the issues along the way.


Even if you do blush at replacing a toilet seal, it will still be a lot cheaper and FASTER to just set the $7k aside and pay someone to do it.

MikeDupont

TX

New Member

Joined: 11/20/2020

View Profile



Posted: 01/14/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:



Even if you do blush at replacing a toilet seal, it will still be a lot cheaper and FASTER to just set the $7k aside and pay someone to do it.


Amen, brother! RV warranties are a Joke. I'm surprised the usual dealer shills havent chimed in on this thread to tell us how a warranty saved them from bankruptcy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Extended warranty
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.