RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: troubleshooting a propane range oven pilot

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> troubleshooting a propane range oven pilot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
geoffash

Newfoundland

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So...this isn't really an RV specific question, as I've turned my TT into essentially a permanent tiny home, but I figured this was a good a place as any for a general knowledge base on propane appliances.

I swapped in an older model 20" Danby range - D545 W - which I cannot find any info for online, except for a handwritten pdf parts list. Called Danby, they were no help.

It's completely propane, no electrical connections.
The issue I'm having is that the oven has become very finicky, which I've narrowed down to either an issue with the heater pilot or the oven control dial itself.
It used to be that when I turned the dial to "oven", the heater pilot would engage to heat the thermocouple, so I'd leave it there for a minute or so, turn it to the desired temp and the oven burner would light.
Now the heater pilot doesn't engage until the oven dial is turned to 170, then the burner won't light unless the dial is then turned up to "Broil", and takes about 5 min.

The heater pilot is definitely not hitting the end of the thermocouple in it's current setting.

By turning the only adjustment screw I can find (on the oven dial mechanism) I can turn up the heater pilot, and the oven lights within 30s which leads me to believe the thermocouple itself is fine. However...I can't find a setting on that screw which will increase the burner pilot without the standing pilot going out once the oven is turned off. Some pics of the oven dial and mechanism, and pilot assembly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

[image]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14EyRVGgjVUH9oZwqO-7f-f25yQGOBrC9/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18FZzZtLQy82XP8KGkShWfRl5qwfSnudz/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jO4PpzzA7aTQgEquYBeJpqRlaAbo5GVd/view?usp=sharing

Bessie-Hunter

Frostproof, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The screw your turning converts the pilot setting from Nat gas to LP. Leave it on LP. Disassemble the pilot assembly and clean the orifice and the entire pilot assembly. The screw on the pilot line on the back side of the valve is the adjustment for the high pilot adjustment.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bessie-Hunter wrote:

The screw your turning converts the pilot setting from Nat gas to LP. Leave it on LP. Disassemble the pilot assembly and clean the orifice and the entire pilot assembly. The screw on the pilot line on the back side of the valve is the adjustment for the high pilot adjustment.

Totally agree^^^^^^^^^^

One other point
That 'spreader plate assembly' for pilot flame...it appears to be pointing pilot flame onto 'barrel' of thermocouple not the tip and in that position is short of the pilot flame ignition slot for main burner flame

Has it been moved...can it be moved???

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> troubleshooting a propane range oven pilot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.