RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Opinion on Resort fees

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Opinion on Resort fees

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They must have an amazing location to charge that.

We have a place not too far from us that charges that much + junk fees. I stopped going there, but they're still always pretty full. I don't they felt much pain when we quit going.

I won't be surprised to see nightly rates skyrocket next year. Demand is going to be insane.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go just for the cornhole.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/21 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The park may have instituted "resort Fees" for a number of reasons. It may just be the way all the parks in the area set their rates and the park would be at a disadvantage if they didn't follow suit.

Example: Park A is $80.00 with a $30 resort fee, Park B is $90.00 inclusive of all fees. Searching for the best deal may very well pull up Park A with it's $80.00 base rate putting Park B, which is actually cheaper when everything is considered, behind it.

It may also be the park is trying to save you and themselves money. If they charged an all inclusive rate, the entire amount might be subject to lodging taxes. If the park is a franchise park, they likely pay royalties on the site rental and not on resort fees. Between the two, there might be a 20+% savings on taxes and fees on that resort fee amount.

In the end, for me it is the total amount I have to pay. I don't care how they arrive at it as long as they don't spring extras on me once I arrive.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't understand the "resort Fee" and never heard of it.
Our park here in the Keys charges over a hundred a night, (like all the others) but along with what you said we have a free boat ramp for renters and each spot is on a canal and each has a tiki hut dock. We also have two small sandy beaches.
The things that you said were closed are probably the same as ours -closed due to the Covid.

If you don't like the cost, you should use another place, but along the coast and the farther south you head you'll have trouble finding any thing less expensive

Guy

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/21 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I won't be surprised to see nightly rates skyrocket next year. Demand is going to be insane.

We will see, I've seen industry predictions of an average 5% increase in occupancy on average. KOA does an annual comprehensive survey and they predict that most of those new users will be weekend local area campers. Don't forget many of them were cut free when the schools shut down. When the schools reopen then they will be chained to their local area like most of us were before retirement. Now next summer will cut them loose but air travel may be reopened by then and they'll be flying to their destinations.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a weekend warrior for now, location is more important than price or manmade amenities. I'll pay $100 for a waterfront site on the beach or bay with no pool or amenities before I'll pay $40 for a site 2 miles from the water with a pool and waterslides.

My son will leave for college in August, so at that point with us working from home we are considering traveling some while working. At that point either really good wifi, or strong LTE/5G service will be important.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

Don't stay there and support their pricing. I figure they are charging those rates because they can. They will lower them if people don't show.

X3 If they can they will.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

It’s your choice to make. I don’t care what the fees are called, only the total due.

Have to agree with this. If the price is what I'll accept I don't care how they break it down. We only traveled with one child and more often than not paid the "family" rate that included two kids. Not a big deal to me. If it was where I wanted to be when I wanted to be there and I considered the price acceptable it was where I'd stay.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer the upfront pricing and just skip all the add-ons. We are Coast to Coast members and a park near us is a C2C CG but also take the general public and are Passport America affiliated too. We went there with friends who are PA and they used PA and we used C2C.....no add on fees with PA but there were add on fees with C2C. Difference in cost between them?...C2C was 2 dollars less.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

It’s your choice to make. I don’t care what the fees are called, only the total due.

This is what I'm concerned with too. How a resort gets to the bottom line, I really don't care. A resort fee is no different than a park charging .17/kwh when the actual cost is .12/kwh or charging for water usage. It's just their way of making some extra dollars.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Opinion on Resort fees
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.