|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel hitch suggestion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

MFL wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

"I wouldn't say the 3300 is the best choice ,but a good one . His truck ,his fifth wheel weight I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Andersen. I personally wouldn't tow with anything else"

The OP wants to use the puck system in his new truck, which IMO, makes the 3300 a better choice than a single point attaching hitch, or needing a raised adapter for a rail attachment.

Jerry

I think you missed the weight of his fifth wheel, and using the single point Andersen hitch. No I wouldn't go the single point with the heavier fifth wheels , meaning in the 16-18K GVWR. Yes I wouldn't go the frame adapter either now .Had to back in 2014 to stay with my standard Reese hitch . Its an option If he wanted to save some money ,and use his existing hitch , but that doesn't sound like what he wants to do . He wants a new quiet hitch .

I did see the FW weight, but just a personal preference on any single point attachment. Also taking into account the aluminum bed, that may be more robust than steel, IDK? The 3300 for Ford is very solid, but still light, top 75 lbs, base 78 lbs.

I don't think Andersen wants to build a hitch for pucks, or they would have already done that. Makes no sense to me, as that would be a great option for many!

Jerry

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The installation instructions for the 3300 show the hitch head supports to be installed in two positions. One is 1" in front of the axle, the other is 3" in front of the axle. I don't see any accommodation for 2" behind the axle. The hitch will only serve to reduce your cab clearance.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

The installation instructions for the 3300 show the hitch head supports to be installed in two positions. One is 1" in front of the axle, the other is 3" in front of the axle. I don't see any accommodation for 2" behind the axle. The hitch will only serve to reduce your cab clearance.

You are correct, won't be behind axle. It will be 1 inch in front of axle center, but not really in front of axle.

If the OP did not use his previous slider in 13 years, with his Ram, he will now have several more inches of clearance with his new Ford.

Jerry

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

I did not mean 2" behind the axle I was only stating there were various distances available with bolt pattern plus you can turn the upright arms around backwards and this gives additional distance (slightly) behind the cab.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/21 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B&W 100% US Made

CURT Communist China Made

You decide.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Durb wrote:

You are correct, won't be behind axle. It will be 1 inch in front of axle center, but not really in front of axle.

If the OP did not use his previous slider in 13 years, with his Ram, he will now have several more inches of clearance with his new Ford.

Jerry

Its been like 4 years ago or around there, I talked to Andersen about the puck system. They told me it was in the works ,and was going to be on the the market that following year. Well that year came ,and went ,but never saw anything. Its apparent they scraped that idea .

I have entertained the thought of taking my frame adapter ,and adapting just the locking lugs to my steel rail mount Andersen. It would not be that difficult ,and I have the means to do it, but it wouldn't accomplish much the way I have it setup ,the frame adapter works well . Plus the extra height you mentioned for whatever reason, is not a factor for me. You have to remember at one time most hitches were sitting on bed rails .

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

B&W 100% US Made

You decide.

Well this fact alone has changed my mind about which hitch to buy. Curt 5th wheel hitches are a China product. Some of their other products are USA but not the 5th wheel hitch!!

I will purchase the B&W Companion.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likes to tow wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

B&W 100% US Made

You decide.

Well this fact alone has changed my mind about which hitch to buy. Curt 5th wheel hitches are a China product. Some of their other products are USA but not the 5th wheel hitch!!

I will purchase the B&W Companion.

And the Prez convinces another ! ! [emoticon]

You will not regret that decision by the way

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One unsung advantage to a slider. It moves the pivot point back a little, and that gets the swing going quicker. The only time I use mine is to get into the driveway, and it really does matter.

C.B.

APPLETON WI USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pyoung47 wrote:

1. I know this has been beat to death, but I’d suggest a F-350, since little difference in ride or cost.
2. Pullrite is still the standard of comparison. Also great customer service.

I'll second the above statements!

C.B.

CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel hitch suggestion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.