|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TCs and Covid Vaccinations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Geo*Boy wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

I won't waste my time waiting in line for an unproven vaccine with questionable side-effects, kind of like not buying a new car in it's first production year until the kinks are worked out. I'll give it some time to prove itself before I partake. Even with the vaccine, people still have to wear masks and follow the protocols.
Wow! With that mindset Covid will be around a long time for some people.
In the healthcare community they are of a mindset where somewhere between 30% to 40% of healthcare workers are refusing to take the vaccine, now what?
Those who share this mindset will hopefully free up vaccine for those of us who do want it. By saying this I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but in all honesty maybe a little selfish. If I can help these folks make peace with their decision to take the vaccine or not, I don't mind.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

In the healthcare community they are of a mindset where somewhere between 30% to 40% of healthcare workers are refusing to take the vaccine, now what?

Refusing, WHY? Did they already have the disease, and are giving their dose to someone else for whom the need is more urgent? Do they have underlying health conditions that precludes them from getting the shot?

Good thing that herd immunity is achieved through BOTH vaccination and getting the disease.

What is your source for this information?

* This post was edited 01/15/21 09:19am by mkirsch *

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

2112 wrote:

My DW was scheduled for her 1st shot in Galveston on Monday. They informed her yesterday that has been cancelled because the governor decided to send all doses to major metro areas. So her shot went to Houston and she has to wait until who knows when. Her PCP couldn't tell her how to get 1 now. So Close

Call all Brookshire Brothers grocery stores within a distance you would drive to. Call the store main number and ask for the pharmacy. They should tell you when you can get on their list. If you call the pharmacy number you will get a recording that is the same for all the stores. We got on the list at our store within walking distance and got the first Moderna vaccine within 7 days.
Thanks TxGearhead. That would have worked two weeks ago but they changed the process. They are no longer shipping doses to small volume locations in smaller communities. They are preparing for mega site, drive-by locations in the large cities to increase the daily shot count. She was told to schedule a shot at NRG but they are not taking appointments at the moment. The down side of doing that is they can't guarantee a follow-up shot 2 weeks later.

She scheduled both shots a few weeks ago but like I said, they sent them to the big city instead and basically told her to start over and good luck.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Are you going thru Memorial Hermann or has Houston/Harris County taken over the process? A few days ago my sister went thru Memorial Hermann for a NRG appointment.
I would still try the small town stores/pharmacies. Someone might have some leftovers.
We were sent home to get our Medicare cards before the shot. Long story but we are not in Medicare. We use a United Health Care/Shell Advantage plan. So if you are in Medicare, take the red white and blue card with new numbers/letters on it.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

^Are you going thru Memorial Hermann or has Houston/Harris County taken over the process? A few days ago my sister went thru Memorial Hermann for a NRG appointment.
I would still try the small town stores/pharmacies. Someone might have some leftovers.
She's with UTMB.
Hers was a leftover because some medical personnel declined the shot. She was scheduled to get theirs.

All "leftovers" and future doses in this area are being shipped to Houston until further notice. She was on the phone yesterday and no appointments to be found.

All the clinics in Galveston and Brazoria counties are not making appointments at the moment

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some questions everyone should answer for themselves:

1. Will this be an annual vaccine you need reapplied
2. When will be the best time of year to get vaccinated
3. Do you have allergies that may require immediate medical if triggered
4. What are the long term effects of receiving the vaccine verses not
5. What exposure level do you have to others
6. Is there a medical history in your family you can baseline

I am not squeamish toward needles or blood and lived through the era of multiple pneumatic injections and even small pox vaccinations. I will weigh my current health condition and my frequency of exposure to others to determine if or when I am vaccinated. It may turn out people that were exposed (whether asymptomatic or recovered) may not need this vaccine and it should go to someone more susceptible. It may turn out that your hand will be forced to take it if you want to enter any venues where people gather or to use a transport other than your than own (no vaccination, no service requirement).

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Refusing, WHY? Did they already have the disease, and are giving their dose to someone else for whom the need is more urgent? Do they have underlying health conditions that precludes them from getting the shot?

Good thing that herd immunity is achieved through BOTH vaccination and getting the disease.

It's been all over the news... which is surprising considering how panic driven the news tends to be. Showing two sides to something doesn't seem to be a norm lately.

First hit on a search.. numbers as high as 60% 'no' in some of the polls.

NY Post article

Everyone's opinion of this 'pandemic' is different. Personally, it sounded pretty bad when it first hit. Numbers don't show that and the fact that we didn't and don't seem to adjust and, seem to get dumber over time in responses (shut down...again and again when it's clear that doesn't work???) is fore front in my thoughts..

Some of the thinking behind those that won't take the vaccine is in dealing with known numbers vs. unknown, but assumed outcomes. 99.8% survival rate (or whatever number you want to use) vs. a vaccine without a proven track record, with a varying (60-95%) chance of working against the bug, with completely unknown long term side effects. It's a personal choice, and there is no right or wrong. I have a couple of friends who are severely compromised and older; totally get while they would take it. And I have LEO, health care workers and folks that work in safety programs for a living, friends, who totally don't buy the risk/reward for getting the vaccine.

As others have pointed out, this thing did turn political. When government forces rules and behavior as opposed to offering guidance and letting people make informed decisions and act accordingly, it's going to turn political. Not saying that's bad or not, but it's a reality of the situation we're in.

Personally, I think this 'save a life at any cost' is nuts. If that's what we're doing, we should stop selling Doritos to fat people. After all, we lose 350k+ a year to obesity...

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '11 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

I suspect a lot of this is just bad reporting. Front line workers have largely been exposed and have developed immunity already. They know that (again) the news articles implying you still need the vaccine if you've recovered aren't really true.

So they have little risk due to exposure based immunity, it frees up doses for those likely to derive more benefit and ultimately, they can always take it later if it proves safe or immunity starts to wane (after supplies reach a point where anyone can get it).

Are there some not taking it due to trust issues...probably but a poorly designed (or reported) survey can distort the results.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the respectful dialog given differing views. I thought this thread would be deleted after the first post.

TC'ers are a different breed and I truly believe that I could have a beer with each and every one of you around a campfire and have a good conversation despite opposing view points.

Kudos, fellow campers.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To you as well!

If any of you are ever going through Little Rock on I-40, you need to stop by NRALIFR’s Bar and Grill. I know the owner, and he’ll treat you well. [emoticon]

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TCs and Covid Vaccinations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.