RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Trailer too long for truck?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Trailer too long for truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Wind with soft tires and longer TT will effect how it handles.

Very true.
Weight distributions and tires are important.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmckenzie wrote:

mooky stinks wrote:

I towed a scaled 8300 lb 35ft Outback with a Chevy 1500 max tow 10 times a year for 6 years. Weight was never a problem but wind was. A couple trips I had to take secondary roads instead of the interstate. Ultimately it’s up to you and your set up. The hitch being dialed in is absolutely critical. Expect days when you won’t be able to relax. It’s certainly not for everyone. If you’re the type of person that gets nervous when your rig makes the slightest move then I would look for something smaller.

I'm similar. 8,200 lbs scaled (and GVW) and 34'4" length. I use a Equal-i-zer 4 pt hitch and spent a good chunk of time getting it set up. Biggest issue I have is porpoising on bad roads, Jasper to Banff or on the Oregon Coast. And no choice for secondary roads.

I'm good, but we are looking at bigger units so I'm looking at 1 ton trucks first.

Get Bilstein shocks, made a huge difference on cement roads for us, we just did the rears but the difference was so big the wife said we're doing the fronts too before we were 200 miles down the road.

As far as OP, my trailer is a few inches longer, no issues in the first 3k miles, I'll have a better idea after our next big trip to Utah and Colorado.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toolguy5 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Wind with soft tires and longer TT will effect how it handles.

Very true.
Weight distributions and tires are important.

Thank you !!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

gmckenzie wrote:

mooky stinks wrote:

I towed a scaled 8300 lb 35ft Outback with a Chevy 1500 max tow 10 times a year for 6 years. Weight was never a problem but wind was. A couple trips I had to take secondary roads instead of the interstate. Ultimately it’s up to you and your set up. The hitch being dialed in is absolutely critical. Expect days when you won’t be able to relax. It’s certainly not for everyone. If you’re the type of person that gets nervous when your rig makes the slightest move then I would look for something smaller.

I'm similar. 8,200 lbs scaled (and GVW) and 34'4" length. I use a Equal-i-zer 4 pt hitch and spent a good chunk of time getting it set up. Biggest issue I have is porpoising on bad roads, Jasper to Banff or on the Oregon Coast. And no choice for secondary roads.

I'm good, but we are looking at bigger units so I'm looking at 1 ton trucks first.

Get Bilstein shocks, made a huge difference on cement roads for us, we just did the rears but the difference was so big the wife said we're doing the fronts too before we were 200 miles down the road.

As far as OP, my trailer is a few inches longer, no issues in the first 3k miles, I'll have a better idea after our next big trip to Utah and Colorado.

If I was keeping my setup, I'd do just this. Even had them in a Rock Auto cart at one point.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Trailer too long for truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.