|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> 13'5" clearance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A suggestion on how to determine the actual height of your 5th wheel.

When you have the 5th wheel loaded as you will most likely use it go back to the dealer where you purchased the unit. Make sure tire pressures are at you towing pressures.

Pull into one of their stalls and stop with highest point under the doorway. Crawl up on top and measure the distance from the highest point of the 5th wheel to the door opening. Then measure from door opening to the ground. Do the math and you will know the exact height of the 5th wheel.

I did this before I took delivery of my 5th wheel to make sure it would go into my shop building. My dealer was more than willing to do this for me.

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should not have problems as long as you don't go under a bridge lower. My 5er is 13'6"

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Madhatter1 wrote:

At least it's only a $1500 mistake.

Yes, $1500 for the a/c unit, not including the damage to the trailer as the a/c is ripped out of the roof and pushed backwards into the ceiling....

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Madhatter1 wrote:

At least it's only a $1500 mistake.

Yes, $1500 for the a/c unit, not including the damage to the trailer as the a/c is ripped out of the roof and pushed backwards into the ceiling....

Yeah, as if it's going to neatly pop off with no other damage. I'd be shocked if you come in under $10k in damage if the air/con hits.

Yes, it is standard industry practice to update the signs based on field measurements and yes, there is a fudge factor.

Even if they omit the update, you won't find one that is significantly off for long. The first truck to get wedged under, someone will be out quickly to verify. While unlikely to cause serious damage with an RV, you can expect a bill for any damage and for an inspection to verify the bridge is unharmed. Typically, your insurance will cover it but if they decide you were grossly negligent by purposely going under a bridge posted lower than your height, they may at a minimum give you a hassle before paying.

Of course that fudge factor accounts for the fact that vehicles are built on suspensions that include springs. So a static measurement in your driveway can easily be off by 3-4 inches if you hit a bump and the trailer jumps up at the wrong time. That static measurement is really only good if you creep under the bridge at less than idle speed.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never once sceen the RR guys go after the truck owners for damage to the bridge. And only once have sceen them inspect it. They dont bother with that stuff up here. It may be diffrent in other places.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Madhatter1

Madeira Beach FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would creep slowly under a questionable overpass and If I touched it would only be the AC. Not going to fly under at 40 or 50MPH and hope for the best. Although it is funny to imagine. When I pick up the camper I will measure while on the truck. Will also hit the truck scales to get total weight.

Original question is what JoelC answered. But I will be careful and plan my routes. There is right now just one questionable bridge in Unionpoint GA that I can detour around. Other than that we are open highway. But do plan to go to some areas I will research first.

Thanks for the responses.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

I have never once sceen the RR guys go after the truck owners for damage to the bridge. And only once have sceen them inspect it. They dont bother with that stuff up here. It may be diffrent in other places.

I've seen it several times working for a state DOT.

The worst one included closure of the bridge and emergency work to replace it. The insurance company was hit up for several million and they didn't even bother to fight it.

The funniest was when a pickup pulling a boat decided to go around the bridge closed signs and he was found the next morning, with the truck hanging by the trailer from the bridge beams. They had only placed the flase decking so it fell between the beams and the trailer hung up. That one was only about $75k for inspection and repair of the damage.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Madhatter1 wrote:

since top height is the AC unit and cannot damage bridge structure if it touches.

A roof top A/C unit isn't going to damage a bridge. Instead, the bridge will do a very fast "air conditioner delete" mod for you, then you won't have to worry about height anymore.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> 13'5" clearance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.