|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anderson 3220 setup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

ssthrd wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

With my Ram short bed I run the adapter putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab, with my previous fifth wheel I ran it putting the fifth wheel further from the cab. The present fifth wheel has much more rounded corners on the front cap.

I think I'm gonna start this way to see if the rear of the pin box clears the bed rails. Looks like I will have 6"+ of vertical clearance.

If possible get to a parking lot ,and see how everything is. Turning sharp ,backing up etc. I did that when I first hooked up my previous fifth wheel with the slider . After that I knew where I was at when I went with the Andersen. When I got this new fifth wheel ,already knew , and could see that I could go with the adapter putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab.

Good idea, and a gravel parking lot will be less strain on FW suspension. Keep in mind, it is not necessary to back near 90 degrees. Also be careful going forward, in a U-turn fashion, as a FW will continue to track shorter.

Jerry

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys! Good advice.

2014 Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD 6.5' box SRW Denali Duramax Anderson
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

Bigfoot affair

Sweet Grass

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, lots of replies from the Ram guy's

I have the same truck and hitch as you. Triple E Topaz 27' fifth wheel with a 18' Lund fisherman 1800 in tow.

I have my Andersen hitch connected to the factory prep and a GM bed mat. The ball is set to the middle hole and I have the receiver set fwd. 81/2" bed rail clearance and tons of room between the tail gate and box sides. Zero issues with cab clearance as well.

I haven't had any issues with bed deflection or the hitch moving in the truck, hitch torqued to 60ft/lbs. Perhaps the bed mat helps or that is just a Ram thing??

Had a Pullrite superglide in my last truck which work flawlessly, hated how heavy it was though. I really love the Andersen!

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was last edited 01/28/21 08:43am by Bigfoot affair *   View edit history

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sure the bed mat helps. Where are your safety chains?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bigfoot affair

Sweet Grass

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

LOL, do you use chains with your fifth wheel hitch?

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigfoot affair wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

LOL, do you use chains with your fifth wheel hitch?

Here in Tx and several other states the ball means you use chains. I have been thru 2 Andersen's and now will not even ride in a truck pulling a 5er using one, but that's me..

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m betting your state requires them especially double towing. What is your home state?

Shal36

Winter Springs, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2015 GMC 2500 and Jayco 29.5 BHDS. Front to back clearance is something you will just have to see. I was using the adapter one-way then when I changed my pin box I had to flip it around. Be very careful about the pin box the tailgate clearance. My replacement pin box was longer than my original, so I had to flip the adapter around to accommodate. I use the lowest setting for the ball. Again, just something that differs depending on trailer, pinbox and truck. I have both the factory plastic bed liner and a bed mat. Works great.

I have not had bed deflection. I have a new set of the Andersen frame rail support brackets in the box. Never installed them but I have a lite fifth wheel.

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shal36 wrote:

I have not had bed deflection. I have a new set of the Andersen frame rail support brackets in the box. Never installed them but I have a lite fifth wheel.

Interesting. I saw an Anderson advertisement for the support brackets recommended for our specific trucks, but with the factory puck system, are they needed?

Shal36

Winter Springs, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ssthrd wrote:

Shal36 wrote:

Interesting. I saw an Anderson advertisement for the support brackets recommended for our specific trucks, but with the factory puck system, are they needed?

I don’t know for sure. I never noticed that they were specifically for the puck trucks or for all trucks. I do know the brackets are to be positioned to support the corners of the hitch at the rear of the truck. If you have extra bracing near the rear of the truck where the rear of the hitch would be, these brackets wouldn’t do much good. My truck did not have the factory fifth wheel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anderson 3220 setup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.