|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Norton Security

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPRey wrote:

AsheGuy wrote:

A "Microsoft Account" is not mandatory on Windows 10. It is the default so only those that allow Microsoft to dictate your Windows configuration get a "Microsoft Account" instead of a local PC account.

With that being said, I am a Google app user and therefore Google knows all about me. I don't care as I have nothing to hide but also in today's tech world information about you is harvested in many different ways anyway. My credit card company is very good at warning of a possible scam. I have never had any problem operating in this world since the Internet came on the scene.

To download any app from Microsoft store, you must log in. Yep, to download any app, including Skype--gotta have an account.

I've been hit real bad with Identity Theft twice. Both times it took hundreds of hours and attorneys to fix it. I thwart all high tech tracking and try to be inconspicuous. LOL, and yes, I don't have a Facebook account neither.

Most identity thefts happen from your own lack of care, sometimes physically like allowing the waiter to disappear with your credit or debit card, hacked gas stations with card skimmers and online stuff typically from spammers and spoofers sending you unsolicited junk emails that require or demand you to enter personal information and without it they will close or lock your accounts..

It is called "social engineering" and is the weakest link in your chain of defense..

Yep, it is YOU, YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK not the software on your PC..

A/V software that blocks you from doing something stupid is not needed if you just used your own brains as most social engineering attempts play on your mind, they use tactics that break down your defenses, want you to make spit second decisions that lead to you giving out detailed privileged information that can be used to steal your identity.

Many A/V blocking hits are actually FALSE POSITIVES and as such you LOSE.. You LOSE access to a lot of Internet access and content because you chose to let software prevent you from accessing items that are not and issue but has been "black listed" by accident..

I have that issue with my new ISP, they use a device called PLUME, plume will not allow me access to some sites that I HAVE used for many years claiming those sites are "suspicious".. Even though I have setup "exceptions" Plume still blocks those websites. One of these days, that plume device will be replaced by a real router.

I refuse to live my life hiding behind brick walls and safety glass wondering just what the real world looks like without being "nannied" to death..

I am dealing with a place right now that is using ESET, had to upgrade to a newer version and now the problem has started with ESET continually nannying everything, blocking software from checking for updates, blocking every program from starting, blocking programs from accessing PC resources, ESET took over the firewall, forcing the user to acknowledge over and over to yes to everything it thinks is bad.. If it was my PCs, ESET would be gone in a heart beat..

But, I have to deal with folks that do not understand PCs and they are scared to death that Defender is not good enough.

If you are this scared of things this bad, you are best to take your entire life off of the wobbly web, don't answer your phone, don't answer texts, don't answer emails..

I like my PCs to work without the need for a nanny looking over my shoulder questioning me like a Kindergartner.

For us grownups we tend to know good from evil and often can make good choices..

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

SPRey wrote:

AsheGuy wrote:

A "Microsoft Account" is not mandatory on Windows 10. It is the default so only those that allow Microsoft to dictate your Windows configuration get a "Microsoft Account" instead of a local PC account.

With that being said, I am a Google app user and therefore Google knows all about me. I don't care as I have nothing to hide but also in today's tech world information about you is harvested in many different ways anyway. My credit card company is very good at warning of a possible scam. I have never had any problem operating in this world since the Internet came on the scene.

To download any app from Microsoft store, you must log in. Yep, to download any app, including Skype--gotta have an account.

I've been hit real bad with Identity Theft twice. Both times it took hundreds of hours and attorneys to fix it. I thwart all high tech tracking and try to be inconspicuous. LOL, and yes, I don't have a Facebook account neither.

Most identity thefts happen from your own lack of care, sometimes physically like allowing the waiter to disappear with your credit or debit card, hacked gas stations with card skimmers and online stuff typically from spammers and spoofers sending you unsolicited junk emails that require or demand you to enter personal information and without it they will close or lock your accounts..

It is called "social engineering" and is the weakest link in your chain of defense..

A/V software that blocks you from doing something stupid is not needed if you just used your own brains as most social engineering attempts play on your mind, they use tactics that break down your defenses, want you to make spit second decisions that lead to you giving out detailed privileged information that can be used to steal your identity.

Many A/V blocking hits are actually FALSE POSITIVES and as such you LOSE.. You LOSE access to a lot of Internet access and content because you chose to let software prevent you from accessing items that are not and issue but has been "black listed" by accident..

I have that issue with my new ISP, they use a device called PLUME, plume will not allow me access to some sites that I HAVE used for many years claiming those sites are "suspicious".. Even though I have setup "exceptions" Plume still blocks those websites. One of these days, that plume device will be replaced by a real router.

I refuse to live my life hiding behind brick walls and safety glass wondering just what the real world looks like without being "nannied" to death..

I am dealing with a place right now that is using ESET, had to upgrade to a newer version and now the problem has started with ESET continually nannying everything, blocking software from checking for updates, blocking every program from starting, blocking programs from accessing PC resources, ESET took over the firewall, forcing the user to acknowledge over and over to yes to everything it thinks is bad.. If it was my PCs, ESET would be gone in a heart beat..

But, I have to deal with folks that do not understand PCs and they are scared to death that Defender is not good enough.

If you are this scared of things this bad, you are best to take your entire life off of the wobbly web, don't answer your phone, don't answer texts, don't answer emails..

I like my PCs to work without the need for a nanny looking over my shoulder questioning me like a Kindergartner.

For us grownups we tend to know good from evil and often can make good choices..

Best advice so far,,think people will listen ? LOL
I use Samsung tablet and it warns me when some questionable site shows up,,simply close it and no harm done.
Same with phone
I never answer any calls IF I dont know whos calling,thats what mailbox is for.
When callers dont even leave a msg its 100% scamers

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 01:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPRey wrote:

You mean the same folks that awarded PC Matic AV-TEST Award earlier last year?

Past ratings are irrelevant? What matters is how effective is it in today's threat environment? Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), the predecessor to Defender used to be rated at the very bottom of AV software protection by AV-Test.org, for which I would not consider using it. When Defender achieved top rating, I switched from BitDefender and Avira.
SPRey wrote:

I wonder if Defender tracks users...hmmm.

Defender is not an add-on AV product. It's integrated in Windows OS. Just as Mac OSX has its own integrated AV. You disable user activity tracking for Windows, not Defender?

Without independent verification, I would take anything a company claims about their product or practices with a grain of salt. You really don't know?

About user tracking? Your internet service provider is already tracking your Net activity? So are your browsers? As is your email providers, unless you are running your own servers?

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

SPRey wrote:

AsheGuy wrote:

Three points.

First. The Identity Theft matters I experienced were not petty; 1st one was finding a $300k lien filed against my home (default loan), and when I ran my credit report, we discovered over $150k loans for boats and cars. All in my name. $450k was that nightmare back in 2001. Second hit came 2010 and was all credit cards; some fool changed my address and received a shitload of credit cards using my name and credit. That was an easier battle since no real estate was involved.

Second. When someone that does not know my technical background thinks I need a lesson in technology, I laugh. For the record, remember the 8088 microprocessor? I used assembly/machine language to program utilities, and later did database programming with COBOL and SQL--long before personal computers were mainstream for business, and was quite helpful as I changed paths and enjoyed a nice career in corporate finance and tax compliance.

Third. Privacy. Some people believe it is OK to allow their private life exposed for all to see, while others, like me, believe TMI (too much information) is not your friend. Example, Cancel Culture--things that were acceptable in years past are suddenly verbotten, and if there is any record evidence that you said, believed, published, those things, then guess what? Pop goes the weasel.

And it is about money, why provide an enterprise valuable information (ie shopping habits) without compensation? Why allow tracking of my moves without compensation? Why should big tech record my keystrokes without compensation? I turn off those features (location on smartphone) and opt out for the collection of my personal data (disguised "to provide and improve your experience".

And the question is: What do I have to hide? I have nothing to hide, I like my privacy; when negotiate business deals, the person that knows more of their opponent has the advantage. Less is best in my book.

Microsoft Defender did me wrong years ago and since then I have always had a 3rd party virus/malware protection. Now we know my opinions, as we all know yours.

Let's Go Brandon!!!!
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Norton Security
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.