RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Newer 5ers, Slider Hitch Required For Short Beds?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Newer 5ers, Slider Hitch Required For Short Beds?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/21 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towed for 10 yrs all over the USA with short bed. Always had an auto slider so I never had to think about. Just the piece of mind was worth it.

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Crew Cab 6.7 H.O. CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL 5th Airborne

md_procouple

Parkville, Md.

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After loosing 2 yes 2 back windows, we went with a slider hitch.. have had NO problems. When in doubt we engage the slider. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!

Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
">

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a short bed F250 and we have Pullrite auto slide.......and we have never had a problem. Could maybe got away without the slide but piece of mind..prevailed!

cpaulsen

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Ron...Lots of variables with this issue! One person's experience may be good, and the other not so much. You know about the shape of front, but the length of pin box can vary, and one hitch will work better than another, due to adjustability, even though not a slider.

The truck itself makes a difference, due to axle center to back of cab distance. GM will work best, longest distance, then Ford, and of course your Ram, has the shortest distance.

Cummins2014, a forum member here, uses an Andersen hitch in a similar truck, with no issue, and likes the hitch. I know there are other Ram owners, using this hitch, also with good results.

Jerry

Lots of variables as you say. I am a good example . My previous fifth wheel was 2008 Montana , and one of the years when they started with the rounded front cap, although the 2008 were sculptured for a better word on the corners then rounded .

I towed that fifth wheel with two different trucks, a 1999 Superduty short bed 350 , and my present truck the 2014 Ram 3500 short bed Megacab . Two different hitches a Reese slider , and the Andersen . I used the Andersen with the adapter to the rear position , putting the fifth wheel further from the cab, slightly rear of axle center, it was too close to the cab when backing into my driveway if I had it in the forward position. With the Reese , I only used the slider when doing the same backing into my driveway.

With my present fifth wheel it has the more rounded corners, and I tow with the Andersen adapter in the forward position , putting it closer to the cab, actually its the same distance from the cab ,as the Reese slider in the tow position , both just slightly forward of axle center the more desirable position . Using both hitches , I can back into my driveway without a problem , not having to slide the Reese back, and having the Andersen in the forward position .

This is all a good example of two different fifth wheels . This present fifth wheel with the combination of the more rounded front cap, and possibly the pin box position, I am able to tow ,and back with it closer to the cab. The Montana had a Morryde pin box ,this one has the Lippert .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cpaulsen wrote:

We have a short bed F250 and we have Pullrite auto slide.......and we have never had a problem. Could maybe got away without the slide but piece of mind..prevailed!

The big reason I never had any worries going with the Andersen ,knowing when I did tow with my manual slider I "HAD" the option of being able to slide it back, but" NEVER" did , other then backing into my driveway, which is a tight fit.

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Superglide in my 6.5' Ram bed with a trailer with curved but not "notched" front cap. Obviously, with the SG, there was never a concern. But I paid the price as it was heavy and expensive.

My current truck has a 6.9' bed. With the slightly longer bed and the added 9" offset away from the cab provided by the Andersen Ultimate Hitch (configured in the rear position), I don't have any clearance issues at all - even on tight turns. And the trailer tows just fine in that position.

Like Cummins2014, I probably have had more challenges parking in my own driveway than I have experienced in any campground.

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Good friend busted his back window with his short bed, no slider, and older 5er with squared front corners. Traded that for a newer 5er with contoured front corners and no more problem. BUT. He was also more careful on tight back in turns.

I did the same, only I had a slider at the time and thought I didn't need to use it . That was a lesson learned !!

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/21 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some front caps, even though they have rounded corners, will slope forward from the overhang. They will tow and turn fine with sufficient clearance. When backing sharp up an incline or rough terrain, the trailer will lean forward and take out the rear window from a high point on the cab. I've seen these exact results from a Montana High Country and an Andersen hitch.

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

I keep reading that the newer 5ers have a redesigned nose with curved sides so that you don't need a slider hitch on a short bed truck. My Ram has the 6.5 bed so I was wondering if I need a slider with certain models or if the newer ones eliminate the need for the slider hitch.

Mine is no slider. Andersen hitch on a B&W Turnover Ball mounted to my frame. Ram Cummins short bed.

[image]

[image]

My Coachmen 5’er has “Turn Tec Engineering”, but the front bedroom still has a full king bed and a washer/dryer in the middle of the front wardrobe [emoticon]

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info folks. Thanks

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Newer 5ers, Slider Hitch Required For Short Beds?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.