RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Removable 5th wheel hitch?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Removable 5th wheel hitch?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12 foot long kayaks, would only allow 18 inches to be split between ground and bridge. One end or the other will be damaged.
Have seen racks that carry kayaks over cab and hood, might be a better idea.

Sande

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Miltvill, you are spot on.
We currently tow the proanglers on a trailer behind our 811 artic fox camper. We love the proangler!
I can't talk the hubby into a toy hauler and I'm resisting going to inflatable kayaks.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Sande wrote:

We have a 3500 RAM drw shortbed which we currently use with our artic fox 811 camper.
We are thinking about getting a 5th wheel and also keeping the camper for some trips.
Is there a sliding 5th wheel hitch that can easily be taken off the truck in order to slide in the camper?

A sliding hitch , no not a chance unless you have some sort of hoist , or taking it apart . Turnover ball , and the Andersen hitch . Clean bed when removed . Also easily removed by one person .

Just leave it locked onto the pin on the trailer and release the hitch from the bed...then the trailer will lift it off.

Do make sure to lock the hitch so someone doesn't accidentally release and drop it but otherwise, the hitch & pin box can easily handle the loads.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mwachel

UT

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm all about the Andersen hitch. Works wonders in my short bed RAM.

Mike
Salty Vet Adventures YouTube

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mwachel wrote:

I'm all about the Andersen hitch. Works wonders in my short bed RAM.

I hear you , same here , Ram short bed , wouldn't tow with anything else . Curious as to what the OP decided . The Andersen is for sure the answer for him, unless he goes with some sort of hoist , or leaves it connected to the king pin ,not something I would do regardless how well it works. I hear some do it , but have never seen one yet hanging off a pin box.

Ranger431

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phillyg wrote:

I'm not aware of any lightweight sliding hitch.

I use a EAZ lift sliding 5th wheel hitch and it works well. Separates into 2 sections to make it easier. I still wouldn’t call it light, it’s about 75 or so pounds, but the 2 price design helps.

2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

Sande

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, we will check it and the Anderson hitch out.

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Sande wrote:

We have a 3500 RAM drw shortbed which we currently use with our artic fox 811 camper.
We are thinking about getting a 5th wheel and also keeping the camper for some trips.
Is there a sliding 5th wheel hitch that can easily be taken off the truck in order to slide in the camper?

A sliding hitch , no not a *chance* unless you have some sort of hoist , or taking it apart . Turnover ball , and the Andersen hitch . Clean bed when removed . Also easily removed by one person .

Depending on the brand, model and *weight* of the slider, you may need "some sort of hoist".

I have a Pullrite SuperGlide - it's heavy! However I *easily* remove it from the bed of my SB pickup with what I like to call the "one finger" lift.
I use a HF electric hoist. One finger to push the up/down button. Lift it out of the bed, lower unto a furniture dolly, roll it into the garage. Obviously, the reverse to place back in the bed.
In -or out- takes all of 5 minutes.

BTW - The HF hoist has also been invaluable for other tasks as well.

~

* This post was edited 01/24/21 11:28am by an administrator/moderator *

Sande

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! Another option to look into. I knew we would get great feedback.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dtank wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Sande wrote:

A sliding hitch , no not a *chance* unless you have some sort of hoist , or taking it apart . Turnover ball , and the Andersen hitch . Clean bed when removed . Also easily removed by one person .

Depending on the brand, model and *weight* of the slider, you may need "some sort of hoist".

I have a Pullrite SuperGlide - it's heavy! However I *easily* remove it from the bed of my SB pickup with what I like to call the "one finger" lift.
I use a HF electric hoist. One finger to push the up/down button. Lift it out of the bed, lower unto a furniture dolly, roll it into the garage. Obviously, the reverse to place back in the bed.
In -or out- takes all of 5 minutes.

BTW - The HF hoist has also been invaluable for other tasks as well.

~

I got another one of those HF hoist in the ceiling of my garage for that exact purpose if you need another . I really don't have much use for it these days. [emoticon] I may find a use for it , most of my projects certainly don't require an 800 lb hoist.

I agree its personal preference . I am assuming you read the OP's question. He got an honest answer from me. I have been thru all this, the hoist the heavy sliding hitch etc etc. To do it right , the hoist itself is a task . I have pretty high ceiling in the garage ,did some bracing in the attic, then there is the mounting of the hoist. Then there is the question , do you run an extension cord to it ,or can you access some where to hard wire. So lets not sugar coat the hoist here . Its not just a matter of running down to your local Harbor Freight buying a hoist ,and magically you are in business . 5 minutes job ,ya I guess never timed it . Lets not forget some sort of dolly or stand. Or do you just leave it under the hoist . Then rolling it some where in the garage to get it out of the way .

Partially right ,yes .I didn't need a hoist ,just take them apart ,thats what I did for awhile ,that grew a bit tiresome , or getting someone to help take it out in one piece.

I don't care what ones choice is getting a hitch. Often wrong, I suppose in your eyes, with my choice of hitches I am .I see you do have the Superglide ,and to be honest I nearly bought one . My friend ,and neighbor had one. He didn't have a hoist, so I got the pleasure of helping him with his [emoticon] That was always fun . [emoticon] I honestly entertained the thought of keeping his Superglide in my garage ,and using my hoist. I was pretty happy when he got tired of the hitching issues of the Superglide , he had an angle getting his fifth wheel parked ,and it was difficult to get the truck straight enough for the Superglide to release . Yes that should be mentioned when considering a PullRite Superglide ,they don't release if at too much of an angle.

To sum this up, my question to you is, how many miles have you towed with a rail mount Andersen . I have towed thousands now at this point ,along with thousands of miles with a heavy somewhat noisy manual sliding hitch, that required a hoist , or getting help ,or taking apart . Been there done that ,don't need too now. To call someone wrong ,would require having the hitch in question ,and then explaining why its wrong to have said hitch .

* This post was last edited 01/24/21 11:29am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Removable 5th wheel hitch?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.