RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Removable 5th wheel hitch?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Removable 5th wheel hitch?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

I used to run the Pullrite Superglide, which would leave my bed completely empty when removed...

That is, until I got a hernia removing it 1 year...

It does come in out pieces, but my its heavy at 275#.. I do not suggest at 70 you try to mess with that, UNLESS you keep it hitched to the trailer and remove the pins from the bed and raise it with the trailer..

We must not be the manly men some seem to be [emoticon] Then there is smart , and then there is , well you know . I’m done lifting hitches , as suggested I will just get one of my grandsons to do it [emoticon]

I'd like to think at 56 I still fall into that category ... but my body argues with me on a daily basis

My body at 73 has already told my mind to knock it off [emoticon]

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Pullrite automatic slider 2600. All you need to do is pull the pins and its back to a pick bed again. Easy. We are a F250 CC Short Bed. Great hitch. If I ever find an inexpensive TC for a short bed I might get one. we will name it "Quickie" for fast trips and fishing.

The Pullrite is heavy, which is good but takes some moving to get it out. Either a winch in the garage or tree or what we have is a small bed crane from Harbor Freight. Cost $99. Tucks in behind the wheel on the side. Swing it around attach pump it up swing it over and let it down on saw horse. Good to go. Do the same thing for bring the 3000i into the bed.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crabbypatty wrote:

I have a Pullrite automatic slider 2600. All you need to do is pull the pins and its back to a pick bed again. Easy. We are a F250 CC Short Bed. Great hitch. If I ever find an inexpensive TC for a short bed I might get one. we will name it "Quickie" for fast trips and fishing.

The Pullrite is heavy, which is good but takes some moving to get it out. Either a winch in the garage or tree or what we have is a small bed crane from Harbor Freight. Cost $99. Tucks in behind the wheel on the side. Swing it around attach pump it up swing it over and let it down on saw horse. Good to go. Do the same thing for bring the 3000i into the bed.

Do you think that little crane could be a issue when loading TC?

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A neighbor of mine is crippled (lower legs). He makes slabs from logs to sell.
He has a removable crane that sits down in a bed socket to move his equipment/slabs in and out of his pickup. His first one was a boat winch type but later he found a used electric winch with steel cable on ebay.

There are lots of ways the OP can use his truck camper and tow a GN or 5th wheel trailer.
I preferred to shim my TC to clear the bed rails.
And had a come-a-long hanging in the trailer shed to remove the 5th wheel hitch or the GN bed plate.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Ranger431

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The EAZ I have separates into 2 sections. The top one is easy, the bottom is me is about 60-65 pounds I would guess, but kind of awkward in size / shape. I use a 2 person lift for it. I’d like to be able to do it myself. The garage is a pain in the butt because it’s a tight fit. I’ve been toying with the idea of buying an engine lift from Northern Tool for about $200-250. All I need to do is get it into the bed, once it’s up, moving it around isn’t hard.

2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRScooby Do you think that little crane could be a issue when loading TC?

Not at all it tucks in behind the wheel well. The bed is completely clear.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crabbypatty wrote:

JRScooby Do you think that little crane could be a issue when loading TC?

Not at all it tucks in behind the wheel well. The bed is completely clear.

Sorry. I thought most TCs where narrow from back of wheelwells forward, then as wide as the tailgate from there back. I assumed wasted space would more likely to be in front of WW. Crane there would be limited reaching past tailgate.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Removable 5th wheel hitch?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.