RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: East Coast Road Trip????? Pandemic?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> East Coast Road Trip????? Pandemic?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I simply need to get the heck out of the house. We want to hook up the travel trailer and head south from Massachusetts. No real destination. North and South Carolina, Georgia and Northern Florida are on the list.
Any idea on the possibility of finding camping spots along the way. We don't want to be tied down to reservations.
What is the situation with rest stop overnights. Are Cracker Barrel and Walmart still allowing overnighting?
Anything else we should be concerned with?

Thanks in advance!

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2018 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
420w Solar / Bogart SC2030 / Trimetrics

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just go. We got out of Bermuda 3 days after the airport was reopened last August, picked up our truck & trailer with no real solid travel plans & were gone for 3 months.

RV travel is basically a solitary activity. The only contact we have with others is CG office staff & a weekly trip to a market. Any other contact is by our own choice.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Youre going to want reservations. Im all booked foe this July. 2 weeks to WV, VA, MD and DE. Going by last year out west there is no way this season I would do a roadtrip without reservations!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please no "it can't be enforced" discussion but many states are still precluding travelers from other states or requiring COVID tests/quarantine. I would do a quick check on approximately where you want to stay and make sure the campground is accepting out-of-state travelers.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the past week we've traveled from upstate NY to southern GA. We've only physically checked in three times, once at a small park in NY, once in VA, and here at a state park in GA where I had to sign for my veterans discount. In all cases masks were in use and social distancing was practiced. The other check-ins were done virtually. A virtual check in is available here, but I would have had to give up a $77 discount to use it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks folks...A great help. The more comments the better! Keep em coming!

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've checked from FL to VA for a potential trip and most CGs are open for business.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been from West Palm Beach 2 weeks ago up as far as the PA 911 memorial in the past 12 mo. Charleston SC, Asheville, Pigeon Forge, Knoxville, Fayetteville WV, Morgantown, can’t remember 911 spot, Annapolis, and Winchester. Probably some more. Never had a reservation. One rest area in S FL was full, next one was empty. Getting ready to roll once more soon. We are having a ball.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The SE is not locked down and imprision'ed.
Walmart is a big corp and given free reign to be open with 1,000's roaming the isles and touching everything, while smaller business with much less traffic and better sanitation are often closed.
I have not heard of any walmart not allowing overnight parking due to a virus.
SE resturants are open, but they just sit at every other table.
People wear mask a lot but otherwise life goes on normally.
Be advised that some national forest "primitive camping" or "roadside camping" is not allowed and somehow this is to help prevent someone catching a virus. You can shop walmart, touch things in a store, but can't go out in the middle of nowhere and isolate yourself from the general population and camp for days. dim logic does not make sense but that is who we are now

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of states seem to be going to reservation only for their state park campgrounds. That doesn't mean you need a reservation far in advance--often the same day is okay--but walk-in first-come, first-served camping seems to be going away in many places.

With a reservation, at least, in many places there's no need to talk to anyone more than the gate guard or a quick check-in with the office. You just drive in and plonk yourself down in your reserved site and that's that.

Quarantine requirements do not prevent you from driving through, nor generally from camping on your own. Rather, they are there to say you can't go out and interact with people not in your group--things like eating out, visiting museums, shopping, etc. Keeping to yourself in your own RV in your campsite is pretty much the definition of quarantining.

I just returned from a ten-day trip down to Florida and back to bring my dear mother back to her home after a visit for the holidays. We had no difficulties finding places to stay (with reservations), though some flexibility was required especially in Florida where the state parks were predictably nearly filled up with campers. Having the motorhome to make the trip is a good part of what made a wonderful visit over the holidays practicable.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> East Coast Road Trip????? Pandemic?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.