RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is this doable or am I overlooking something??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Is this doable or am I overlooking something??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use our trailer a lot during the winter and in COLD weather.. Normally we use the propane furnace but it gobbles propane. The trailer is connected to the 30 amp outlet on the park post BUT when we try to use an electric space heater to help, the post breaker often trips when the microwave or other appliance is used.. Any thoughts about connecting a separate power cord from the park 15 amp pedestal outlet/breaker then routing it into the trailer to power the electric space heater??? had to ask

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That would work.

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be aware that some campgrounds, especially private ones, will not allow you to use more than one receptacle on the post at one time. Read their rules carefully. Sometimes it has to do with electric consumption and cost, other times it has to do with overloading the system. Some won't care, some will.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First put your water and fridge to propane only.

If you must run a separate cord to pull in more power.... use an extension with #12 wire (no 18, 16, 14)

* This post was edited 01/17/21 10:29pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HW, MW and space heater are high draw appliances. The refer and charger also contribute so keep the usage down. I added a separate circuit for 30A pedestals that can be plugged into the 20A pedestal plug when desired.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/21 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been thinking the same thing for my class C. Then I saw This post and it does seem doable.

But my thought would be to use One of These they come in different lengths and I could put it where I wanted it.

[image]

* This post was edited 01/18/21 06:18pm by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been doing this for about 15 years without any issues. I just run the cord thru a slide out seal. I have never been questioned by any campground person. As mentioned by time2roll be sure to use a heavy duty extension cord.

chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As to what CharlesinGA says about campground restrictions—campgrounds are all about the money. If you find one that restricts outlet usage, you could ask to be allow to use more than one if you are willing to offer to pay an additional charge for electricity. Also, sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission!

chartrue2@aol.com

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DD716TED wrote:

We use our trailer a lot during the winter and in COLD weather.. Normally we use the propane furnace but it gobbles propane. The trailer is connected to the 30 amp outlet on the park post BUT when we try to use an electric space heater to help, the post breaker often trips when the microwave or other appliance is used.. Any thoughts about connecting a separate power cord from the park 15 amp pedestal outlet/breaker then routing it into the trailer to power the electric space heater??? had to ask

We just turn off the space heater when running the microwave or electric skillet. It's usually only a few minutes so no big deal.

A 30amp should provide 3600w for short bursts but only about 3000w continuously. A space heater will typically be around 1500w. If the water heater is running (another 1500w) and a 250w fridge (on electric)...you are pushing the outlet to the limit, lights, fans, TV and other small loads can easily push you over the 3600w and pop the breaker.

As mentioned, run the fridge and water heater on propane will keep the power draw down and then shut off the space heater while using other high draw items.

Running a line to a separate pedestal will work but as mentioned, many campground operators won't be happy. Particularly if electricity is included in the site cost.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we owned a mh we regularly ran the second ac on a different plug at the pedestal. We never had any complaints from the cg. We traveled all over the U S.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Is this doable or am I overlooking something??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.