|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New Thermostat Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Don, I wish that would work. It’s a simple solution, and I like to keep things simple.

Unfortunately, the design of this furnace on the intake side has no clear air intake air duct. There is an intake air grill. In fact in the fourth picture, the grill has been removed, and you can see through the opening it was covering a bit of what’s behind it. The flex hoses are on the output side of the furnace, and go to various heat registers in the camper.

The space the furnace is installed in is just a cavity between the kitchen sink cabinet, and the bathroom sink cabinet, and there are huge pass-through holes in the plywood sides of that cavity for wires and plumbing to go through. Of course, air will move freely through them as well. So, there’s not a single air intake point, despite the return air grill being there.

I’m going to try using the “Minimum Cycle Period Adjustment” in the new thermostat, and see if that will do what I need. I should probably play with it a little in my garage before our next trip, which could be soon.

Thanks again.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/18/21 07:59pm by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Thanks Don, I wish that would work. It’s a simple solution, and I like to keep things simple.

Unfortunately, the design of this furnace on the intake side has no clear air intake air duct.
[emoticon][emoticon]

That is exactly the way my air return grill is. Test it out with a box fan. You may need to use a draft gauge to see it working.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Fan switch on the Thermostat does not turn the Furnace fan on.

It is not supposed to. It is supposed to turn the A/C fan on. not the furnace fan.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But.........it has never turned the AC fan on either. Not sure why, but even with the original mechanical t-stat, I didn’t have manual control of the AC fan. Just high and low speed, which I’ve found isn’t really needed.

Keep in mind that what I’m wanting (needing) to ensure is that my black and gray tanks and valves don’t freeze when I’m not using the LP furnace as my primary source of heat. Only the furnace is ducted to the tank area. I can keep the air stirred inside the camper by other, quieter means than by running the AC fan.

[emoticon][emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

Unfortunately, the design of this furnace on the intake side has no clear air intake air duct.
[emoticon][emoticon]

That is exactly the way my air return grill is. Test it out with a box fan. You may need to use a draft gauge to see it working.

I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

[emoticon][emoticon]

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna - can you say the make and model of your window fan and post a picture?

My base camp trailer is a Roughneck. 2x40K btu furnaces, spray foam insulated "basement" all plumbing except tanks above the floor in the heated envelope. Very winter capable with 2 furnaces "except" only one furnace delivers heated air to the tanks compartment under the floor. So if the main furnace goes down there is no way to force warm air downstairs to the tanks while a fix is done. Either furnace will heat the trailer unless it is cold out - below -30C.

NRALIFR - I place a remote thermometer in the coldest area of the tanks compartment in the above trailer. The temp there cycles with the main furnace's cycles - but I would like pianotuna's fan setup in the return for that "main" furnace.

thanks

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

pianotuna - can you say the make and model of your window fan and post a picture?

thanks

The one I have is no longer findable. But this is quite like what I have:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Holmes-HAWF20........WMUM-Dual-Blade-Twin-Window-Fan/17133777

[image]

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it does not turn on the a/C fan then something is wrong

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

If it does not turn on the a/C fan then something is wrong

It’s been wrong for over 20 years then. I don’t need it to do that, and I wouldn’t use it even if it did. It’s of no value to me.

I do however need to keep my tanks from freezing when we’re traveling in freezing weather. I was out just recently as a winter storm system moved through the TX panhandle and western OK, we had several nights in the twenties and mid-teens. Nothing froze because I know what to do with my TC as the temps get colder and colder. That’s what almost 20 years of experience with the same RV gives you.

I’m trying to fine tune my cold-weather processes by taking advantage of the features some of these new digital thermostats have, like the “Minimum Cycle Period” this thermostat has. I’ve run into a problem with it though. I’ll explain in my next post.

[emoticon][emoticon]

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you pianotuna

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New Thermostat Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.