|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Adding Heat Strips

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

If you add heat strips you must add wire and breaker to carry the extra load of the strips. Also, thermostat to control them. Not a DIY job.

He has a Dometic roof AC. WHY WOULD HE NEED TO CHANGE THE WIRING OR BREAKER????????????. The system is designed for 20 amp max service. The largest Heat Strip is about 12.1 amps. The AC in COOL/Max fan is about 13.2 amps. The heat strips are plug and play. The only requirements are, that for easiest install you have a wall Tstat and you may have to replace the wall tstat if you have NO Heat Strip option, only furnace. You can add a Heat Strip to a Roof mounted control system but you have to replace the Tstat and possibly the ON/Off knob control. Doug

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the manual or check with domestic. Some A/C units have plastic parts in the area where the heat strip mounts that may melt.

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

Some A/C units have plastic parts in the area where the heat strip mounts that may melt.
Dometic makes a kit for the OP's model. I would hope it doesn't melt things.
Dometic heat strip for B57915 ducted system

There's a different kit for non-ducted systems.

Two points from my experience:
1) Don't expect a huge amount of heat. Doug posted the wattage earlier. A space heater can give just as much or more heat.
2) These things stink like heck on the first use of the season. Before you really need it, run it a few minutes with the windows open.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had them in my pop up ac. They basicly said they were more like warmers to make it a tad more confterble then to be able to give off any real heat. And they were right.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

mobeewan wrote:

Some A/C units have plastic parts in the area where the heat strip mounts that may melt.
Dometic makes a kit for the OP's model. I would hope it doesn't melt things.
Dometic heat strip for B57915 ducted system

There's a different kit for non-ducted systems.

Two points from my experience:
1) Don't expect a huge amount of heat. Doug posted the wattage earlier. A space heater can give just as much or more heat.
2) These things stink like heck on the first use of the season. Before you really need it, run it a few minutes with the windows open.

As I said "Some A/C units". That is the warning that I saw someone post on another forum. As I stated the OP should check to make sure that his unit is okay to add it. If Dometic makes a kit then it should be able to be added without issues as long as the installation directions are followed.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

I had them in my pop up ac. They basicly said they were more like warmers to make it a tad more confterble then to be able to give off any real heat. And they were right.

Agree. they really aren't worth the effort. In my popup. If it was 60 degrees. The heat strip would warm it right up to 61. Only it would feel colder.

Save your money. Heat strips heat less than a hair dryer.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since heat strips put out about the same BTUs as a portable heater they will raise the overall temperature about the same. When people complain about little heat from them, they aren't considering the considerable air flow from the air conditioner fan. The air temperature from the ceiling vents will be much less than from a small portable heater but there will be much more air. That flow of air that is only a few degrees above the ambient air temperature may feel cool, but just leave it on. As the temperature rises it won't feel so cool when near normal room temperature.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Since heat strips put out about the same BTUs as a portable heater they will raise the overall temperature about the same. When people complain about little heat from them, they aren't considering the considerable air flow from the air conditioner fan. The air temperature from the ceiling vents will be much less than from a small portable heater but there will be much more air. That flow of air that is only a few degrees above the ambient air temperature may feel cool, but just leave it on. As the temperature rises it won't feel so cool when near normal room temperature.

But to this point it begs the question - why bother? Given that it's considerably more cost and effort than a few ceramic heaters that produce the same result. Personally I wouldn't want to put the time and effort into a heating system that still leaves me feeling cold. I don't think I've ever read anything on this forum over the years that say that heat strips are awesome. Almost invariably, all posts agree, they marginally work if it's not really cold to begin with.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

But to this point it begs the question - why bother? Given that it's considerably more cost and effort than a few ceramic heaters that produce the same result. Personally I wouldn't want to put the time and effort into a heating system that still leaves me feeling cold. I don't think I've ever read anything on this forum over the years that say that heat strips are awesome. Almost invariably, all posts agree, they marginally work if it's not really cold to begin with.

Because the cost is quite low, they don't need to be stored, they are always ready to go and a thermostat controls them. I have never seen anyone give them a chance to work, only instant gratification comments.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Because the cost is quite low, they don't need to be stored, they are always ready to go and a thermostat controls them. I have never seen anyone give them a chance to work, only instant gratification comments.

To each his own I guess. I think heat strips are about $100 when it's all said and done and a small cube heater with the same BTU can be had for about $20. Heat rises, so a portable heater has the advantage of heating from the floor up, as opposed to the heat strips being fan driven with cool air from the top down. I hear you on giving them a chance to work and that makes sense, but when I am cold that's the one time I would prefer instant gratification. I use my LP furnace or fireplace and forget portable units and heat strips altogether. But that's me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Adding Heat Strips
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.