|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Outdoor speakers leaks, 2nd toy hauler same problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
lamopar

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thought I might drop a note here of a problem I have had on two toy haulers about 6 years apart. The material that attaches the speaker, woofer part of a two way, separates from the foam type material that attaches the speaker to the speaker frame. Our 2011 had it and I never noticed it and did not have a cover for the unit so when it rained it ran in the speaker, down the wall and destroyed the flooring. Yesterday I was playing some music and noticed a scratchy sound on our 2018 unit. When I inspected the speakers I found the foam had disconnected at the bottom from the speaker. It is very hard to see and you must look for a black line where the foam was attached. A slight pull on the foam and you can see it is not connected. I pulled on the top part as well and it is still attached. Probably something you won't notice until you are in the trailer in a heavy down pour but what happens when you are not there is terrible.

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those factory speakers are not worth anything. If you get real outdoor speakers you will have sound good enough that all your neighbors will be able to enjoy your music and they will not leak.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the cheap outside speakers on our trailer with these PolyPlanar MA-905 marine speakers. They have mylar cones with rubber surrounds, not foam.

I mounted these so that the woofer sat in the hole from the factory speaker and they fit perfectly. Decent frequency response (55hz on the low end) and plenty of capacity. I added a Kenwood 200W power amp with speaker-level inputs after the factory head unit and you could hear these halfway down the beach!

You can get them for a good price on Amazon.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should’ve had marine speakers all along for any outdoor speakers. Replace and use plumbers putty behind for the seating. Easy peasy.

lamopar

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The speakers on both toy haulers were outdoor speakers. Two different brands of toy haulers as well. I am just trying to point out a problem I had before anyone else has the same problem and suffers severe floor damage from a speaker failure.

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I never thought about using plumbers putty behind the speakers. The Kenwood speakers I installed on my first toy hauler had a rubber gasket and then I caulked all around the speaker and put caulking into the screw holes prior to installing the screws. I never had a problem after that with them.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/21 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our speakers have always been a mess.

The first time I used them, I had them faded to play quietly in the garage and a little louder outside. I was sitting out there thinking, "Hey, that's not how this song is supposed to sound." And then when I was in the garage, I had the same sense about another song. So I started playing with the fade and the balance and finally figured out that the builder had taken a shortcut and ran one line to the garage for the right channel and split it into two speakers, and did the same to the outside speakers and split them both into the left channel. Ridiculous.

That was an expensive warranty repair, because the dealer had to run a whole new line all the way to the front where the speakers are.

It's a few years later now, and the speakers have worn out. The paper cones are destroyed. I had put this on my list of things to deal with in the new year, but then Santa brought me a killer Bluetooth setup that sounds way better than the crummy stock speakers ever did. So I'll probably just leave them as they are.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/21 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the way, it's been years since we've had a good Outdoor Speaker thread here. These threads used to really rile up the non-Toy Hauler members.

There's a similar thread running in Tech Issues and the members over there haven't been as sympathetic to the OP's questions. Lots of people clutching their pearls at the mere mention of outdoor speakers.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess I better get out and check my speakers. Don't use them but the water leak issue.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

lamopar

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to go look at the thread and see you removed the off topic ones. When it happened the first time there were a lot of people getting irate about outdoor speakers on the thread. At home around the shop it is not a problem in the middle of 15 acres in the country. When we camp in the high desert it is remote and no one is around. In both cases, still pretty quiet as far as what it could do.

Thanks for watching out for the crazies on the forum.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my outdoor speakers leaked as well. I just recaulked around it. That stopped it.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Outdoor speakers leaks, 2nd toy hauler same problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.