RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Crummy headlights - Can't see, need upgrade

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Crummy headlights - Can't see, need upgrade

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Bob...

Upgrade to a 2020.. the Ford's headlights were pure TURD.... I love the new LED's in the new trucks ! ! ! [emoticon]

Well, due to fiscal irresponsibility in my life and a divorce, a 2020 isn't in the radar for me yet!
I too love the new LEDs in the new trucks. Awesome!

My only option is to replace mine, the entire assembly, not just a bulb upgrade.

Good tips about the voltage at the bulbs. I am going to get in there with a meter and check. I can build a relay system and hard wire to the battery.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob TRS doesn't make a retrofit specifically for the Grand Prix either, so I went with a generic retrofit kit and a set of instructions I got from a GP fan site...the process involves baking the OEM housings in a 250* oven to soften the sealant that holds the 2 halves together so you can pry them apart. Then some careful Dremel cutting and gluing... I was very proud of how they turned out but it also had the very real potential of becoming a $300 science experiment...

In my 01 Suburban (which has the same headlights as the 07 classic) I upgraded to a set of Sylvania SilverStar bulbs and it made all the difference. I know other burb owners that made a relay harness like GDE describes with good results.

TRS also offers a selection of LED bulbs for 06 Sierra that fit in the OEM housing.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is really sad that most headlights today are not great, but keep in mind that the brighter your head lights get the more they blind oncoming drivers. Many after market LED replacement bulbs will blind oncoming drivers because they are not focused.
When I was young I had a 68 Mustang California Special, it came with a pair of Lucas Flamethrower fog lights in the grill. I moved these below the bumper so in fog the light was low and worked better. I then installed a pair of Lucas Flamethrower driving lights in the grill these would light the road up for a 1/4 mile the width of the highway. The beam was focused down the road and shine upwards.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just replaced the assemblies on my ladies little 06 Cobalt with a set from here https://www.carparts.com/
They were an easy install and seem to be working well.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

My headlights got much brighter recently, right after cataract surgery.

I was going to say the older you get the worse your night vision gets. Then the more people change to led headlights, and blind you with them. Lol. Its a never ending cycle.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Bob...

Upgrade to a 2020.. the Ford's headlights were pure TURD.... I love the new LED's in the new trucks ! ! ! [emoticon]

Well, due to fiscal irresponsibility in my life and a divorce, a 2020 isn't in the radar for me yet!
I too love the new LEDs in the new trucks. Awesome!

My only option is to replace mine, the entire assembly, not just a bulb upgrade.

Good tips about the voltage at the bulbs. I am going to get in there with a meter and check. I can build a relay system and hard wire to the battery.

I get that, and would not expect anyone to do so... I replaced the bulbs in my 2015 with an LED plug in bulb.. They were **** also, unless you are changing the entire housing along with the bulb..

If I can remember what brand it was, I would post so nobody gets that brand thinking there good...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Bob,

I added twin light bars. They will not operate on the high beam setting. My low beams with the bars are far superior to the high beams now.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought new light assembly's for my 07 GMC Classic and got rid of the dull surface. That made a difference but still not great. I then changed the bulbs to Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA NIGHT VISION Halogen Headlight Bulbs on both low and high beam. Made a great difference. I also have a 30" light bar on the front which before made a huge difference, not as much now with the Silverstar Ultras. I also did the all on mod, on high I have low, high and fog

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really do want to get away from the factory housings. They are old and outdated, even if I replace them with new ones.
If I am going to replace the whole assembly I may as well put the money towards some better and more effective reflector design.

I have tried several different styles of bulbs, but the improvement was only marginal.
I have never checked the voltage though, as suggested here.

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077VNT7PN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_YPfcGbV3P9S52?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This says for 3500 classic. I replaced mine after multiple times of cleaning them. Finally got a new set and they work fine and was an easy installation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Crummy headlights - Can't see, need upgrade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.