RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Crummy headlights - Can't see, need upgrade

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Crummy headlights - Can't see, need upgrade

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Bob,

Power varies by the square of the voltage.

12.6 x 12.6 = 158.76

11 x 11 = 121

121 / 158.76 = 22% less light.

YEP!

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used this one in my old Dodge and Mustang. With the truck I had to extend the passengers side by 18" or so but nothing but some wire and soldering can't fix. Works perfect and lights are MUCH brighter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZZWKGT/ref........mm_t1_bzocGbSXHAAD3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Bob,

Power varies by the square of the voltage.

12.6 x 12.6 = 158.76

11 x 11 = 121

121 / 158.76 = 22% less light.

Thanks Don,
Another good tip
I haven't had a chance to check the voltage yet. I shall do that as soon as I get a chance.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1320Fastback wrote:

I used this one in my old Dodge and Mustang. With the truck I had to extend the passengers side by 18" or so but nothing but some wire and soldering can't fix. Works perfect and lights are MUCH brighter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZZWKGT/ref........mm_t1_bzocGbSXHAAD3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nice, thanks.
Doubt I could buy the parts and pieces for 19 bucks. No point in making my own for that price.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

My headlights got much brighter recently, right after cataract surgery.

Ditto that but unfortunately, glare from oncoming headlights is terrible for me. One of the myriad of potential consequences of the surgery the doc told me about.
Same here, after cataract surgery the starbursts were incredibly blinding. But they just did a YAG laser capsulotomy (quick, easy outpatient procedure) and the starbursts are gone. Although, my replacement lenses are mono; if you have multifocal lenses in your eyes now, those could be causing the starbursts themselves and the laser won't clear things up.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

1320Fastback wrote:

Nice, thanks.
Doubt I could buy the parts and pieces for 19 bucks. No point in making my own for that price.

Nope and don't forget the time to solder it all together and shrink wrap.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems some aftermarket lamps enthusiasts seem to be too lazy to check their installation and see for themselves how their own rig appears to incoming drivers. Simply find a safe spot, arrange to get out walk 100' 30 meters, turn around and look. It helps to have a sense of perspective when doing this. Having another newer car in parallel helps.

Too bright can be adjusted down and to the right but keep in mind you are dealing with two bulb functions, low and high beam. My own perspective is to drive as little at night as possible due to age related sight cognitive issues.

100% of my night driving is semi-urban. By paying attention I defined my shortcomings into two categories...

Inability to see a road shoulder
Inability to define pavement hazards unique to Mexico. Speed bumps and gaping potholes.

My choice of LED headlights resulted in simple luck. Their aim is so far off it is almost comical. LOW. Which suited me fine. Very little difference between low and high beam. Again for me, just fine. Over four years and however many incoming cars I have never been blinked down. That's on high beam. This arrangement is perfect for me and no one else.

But I needed MORE LIGHTING 30' in front of the car for potholes. I knew from experience that a 6 horizontal row CREE 18-watt SPOT light would be perfect. So I had a weld shop place the lamp under my bumper. Oncoming, the lamp resembles a clearance light in intensity. But for me, the lamp is switched on with high beams. Read again the almost no difference between high and low beams.
My opinion of Chinese LED replacement bulbs is next to zero.

The little integral fan is a failure disaster ready to quit and allow the lamp to overheat and fail. The bulb build is an utter failure for aim and function.

But by using my head, and verifying appropriateness for my own use and suitability for use with other drivers I made it work.

fx2tom

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I changed the entire assembly on my 2002 F250. Same bulbs, different housings = HUGE difference. Took me about an hour to change them out, another 30 minutes to adjust the aim. I think I spent $110 on the new housings and it was worth every penny.

2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

dfm

B.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when I had a 2007 Chev 2500 I changed the headlight bulbs to LED. It was an amazing improvement. I googled a company called Headlight Revolution and watched their Youtube video's. Then went to their website and ordered their recommendation at that time.
When I bought the 2012 Ram 3500 I immediately knew why Owner's were so upset with the OEM headlight's. I went back to Headlight Revolution's site and ordered their recommendation for led's for my RAM truck. A world of difference!!! A little pricy but the replacement was a straight drop in plug and play led. When the new led is installed correctly and adjusted they will not blind oncoming traffic. I am well satisfied with the replacements

2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mex,

I don't think most folks who install the "blue tinted" halogen bulbs and the LED aftermarket retrofit in halogen housings care one bit about how their actions will affect oncoming traffic or even traffic in front of them..

They only care about themselves and the fact that they now have to "cool" blue tinted lights on their "ride".

The blue tinted halogen bulbs for some reason seem to have much more scatter and not a tight controlled pattern, I suspect in order to make the bulb brighter they had to change the position of the filament which affects the focusing..

The LED aftermarket bulbs, they are a hit or miss thing with mostly miss.. The problem with LEDs in a halogen fixture is the LEDs cannot and will not sit in the perfect spot for the reflector to focus correctly. Typically one or two sided LED and they MUST be "clocked" correctly in the fixture to get anywhere near some sort of focus.. Tend to get OK focus on high or low beam but not both.

To clock the LED you need a LED that is adjustable, some are and some aren't.. The adjustable will have a lockable ring that uses a hex key. LEDs must be at 3 oclock and 9 oclock.. Any other position will result in poor or no focus.

An example of the issue with retrofiting a LED into a halogen housing is really telling..

Found a pix on line ..

[image]

Left is halogen bulb and right is a LED bulb..

Notice how focused the Halogen is when compared to the LED..

The LED is not focused well and has a lot of scatter, that scatter is the problem with using LEDS, might be "good" for the driver of the car with the LED but not so much for the poor sap that has to drive past or even be in front of that car..

Here is a pix from the same site that shows both LEDs..

[image]

Notice how much more light is scattered on the drivers side into the oncoming traffic..

Found those pix HERE Which they are using non clockable LEDS..

Tried to fix the pix sizes, for some reason sizing isn't working on those online photos.. Sorry for the need to scroll [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Crummy headlights - Can't see, need upgrade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.