|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This spring, I will be taking apart a 1975 trailer that the frame is rotten and may not even survive the winter.

Once it is here, no propane will be hooked up, the batteries will be removed, and the shore power will not be connected. As well, no water will be connected.

Are there any potential energy sources I might be not thinking of?

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/21 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope, shouldn't be any surprises. RV's from that era were pretty simple. Sounds like you are good to go. Make sure your tetanus shot is current, as there will be 50,000 staples trying to get you.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nv Guy wrote:

Nope, shouldn't be any surprises. RV's from that era were pretty simple. Sounds like you are good to go. Make sure your tetanus shot is current, as there will be 50,000 staples trying to get you.

Tetanus shot is up to date.
I have already had to deal with many, many rusty staples.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the purpose of taking it apart?

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, definitely watch out for those staples! [emoticon]

My approach to scrapping travel trailers has typically been to strip out the interior cabinets, windows, and appliances, and then tear off the ends from the outside with the sides braced. Once that's done, I just pull out the brace(s) on one side and let the walls collapse to the side so the rest of the tear down can be done at ground level. My favorite tool for the job is a sawzall with a demolition or rescue blade that cuts both wood and metal with ease.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Yep, definitely watch out for those staples! [emoticon]

My approach to scrapping travel trailers has typically been to strip out the interior cabinets, windows, and appliances, and then tear off the ends from the outside with the sides braced. Once that's done, I just pull out the brace(s) on one side and let the walls collapse to the side so the rest of the tear down can be done at ground level. My favorite tool for the job is a sawzall with a demolition or rescue blade that cuts both wood and metal with ease.

That is basically my plan. Just want to make sure I have removed the energy sources.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The main energy source remaining is gravity. Pay attention to that and all should be well.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

The main energy source remaining is gravity. Pay attention to that and all should be well.

That is the biggest one that worries me. My hope is to be able to direct those forces in a controlled manner.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

DrewE wrote:

That is the biggest one that worries me. My hope is to be able to direct those forces in a controlled manner.

If you use my method, make sure the side braces are long enough to keep you clear of the falling walls when you pull them out. If the area you're working in will be hard to clean up, putting down a heavy duty tarp first will help.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If removing roof mounted items, lay a sheet of plywood down to spread your weight on the old trailer.

I remove everything held by screws first. I use a cordless drill and remove every screw I can find and throw those in a container. Then pull out those items held by the screws, using a flat pry bar or two, and cutting away any sealing putty. If you can pull or peel off aluminum sheeting before tearing apart the frame, do so. All the aluminum can be recycled. Also the copper tubing and wiring.

During any demo, I try hard not to swap out tools too much. Use the drill as much as I can, then prybars & hammer, last comes the sawing. Too easy to lose tools in the destruction.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.