|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post some pictures as you proceed please.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

If removing roof mounted items, lay a sheet of plywood down to spread your weight on the old trailer.

I remove everything held by screws first. I use a cordless drill and remove every screw I can find and throw those in a container. Then pull out those items held by the screws, using a flat pry bar or two, and cutting away any sealing putty. If you can pull or peel off aluminum sheeting before tearing apart the frame, do so. All the aluminum can be recycled. Also the copper tubing and wiring.

During any demo, I try hard not to swap out tools too much. Use the drill as much as I can, then prybars & hammer, last comes the sawing. Too easy to lose tools in the destruction.

There is nothing on the roof that is worth salvaging. There isn't an a/c unit. the vents are ok, but are not in the greatest shape.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what is the purpose of taking it apart?

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just drag it to the dump and call it a day?

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I take it tot he dump, it'll cost me more than tearing it apart and taking the pieces to the dump. Also, if the frame is good, I'm making a flatbed out of it.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 03:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

If I take it tot he dump, it'll cost me more than tearing it apart and taking the pieces to the dump. Also, if the frame is good, I'm making a flatbed out of it.

Rent a small excavator for a weekend, dig a large hole, then use the machine to rip the structure from the frame. Bury the metal, burn the remainder.

Mostly a waste of time and money as the frame will probably need a lot of reinforcement added to be used as a cargo or utility trailer, and the axle capacity will most likely not cover its repurposed use after conversion. A deck substantial enough to use will weigh as much as the box you ripped off the top. It would be cheaper to buy one designed for the intended purpose.

Around here local auto salvage or scrap yards will take them free, some will even pay you for them.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put a carefully worded ad on Craigslist or Kijiji.

Put humour into it.

Any old roach of a piece of junk I always get rid of that way. I never have to haul anything to the dump. People will take anything.

FREE attracts all the vultures.... I mean thrifty shoppers who will take ANYTHING if it costs them nothing.

Something like this:

Free!

One well used travel trailer (describe make and model)
This beauty is but a shadow of its former glory!
Well past its days of providing relaxation and comfort, this less than gorgeous rotting hulk is sure to upset all your neighbors when you drag it home!
In fact, on a quiet night you can lay there and listen to it rot away....
But just think of the fun you will have calling for help when you fall through the floor, screaming for help!
OK, this old pig is less than cherry, but it is FREE!
Yes, you read correctly, free.
Bring your tow vehicle and I will even hook it up for you.
Heck, if you happen to be the lucky recipient and show up first, I will even throw in a well worn leaky old tarp so you can pretend to keep it from leaking and rotting any further!

Don't wait, don't hesitate, I can already hear the thunder of people rushing to my front door to take advantage of my incredible offer. But bring a mask and rubber gloves, it kinda smells and you don't want to catch anything by touching it.....

Yes, it's a fixer upper, more like a tearer downer, but it's free!
Pictures? Heck yeah, just email me and I'll send you all the pics you want of this poor lifeless old relic!

But seriously, I'm sure you can use this old heap for something.... Maybe a chicken coop?..
The possibilities are endless!
Your wife will love you more!
[emoticon][emoticon]

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

swimmer_spe wrote:

Rent a small excavator for a weekend, dig a large hole, then use the machine to rip the structure from the frame. Bury the metal, burn the remainder.

Mostly a waste of time and money as the frame will probably need a lot of reinforcement added to be used as a cargo or utility trailer, and the axle capacity will most likely not cover its repurposed use after conversion. A deck substantial enough to use will weigh as much as the box you ripped off the top. It would be cheaper to buy one designed for the intended purpose.

Around here local auto salvage or scrap yards will take them free, some will even pay you for them.

The trailer had a rated weight of about 2500 kgs.Once it is cleared off, if the frame is still good, I'll bring it to a friend who welds. They will reinforce the parts that need to be. The deck will be 3/4 plywood, which would be good for side by sides, quads, snow machines, or other lighter things. It would not be for hauling my truck or anything real heavy.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Put a carefully worded ad on Craigslist or Kijiji.

Put humour into it.

Any old roach of a piece of junk I always get rid of that way. I never have to haul anything to the dump. People will take anything.

FREE attracts all the vultures.... I mean thrifty shoppers who will take ANYTHING if it costs them nothing.

Something like this:

Free!

One well used travel trailer (describe make and model)
This beauty is but a shadow of its former glory!
Well past its days of providing relaxation and comfort, this less than gorgeous rotting hulk is sure to upset all your neighbors when you drag it home!
In fact, on a quiet night you can lay there and listen to it rot away....
But just think of the fun you will have calling for help when you fall through the floor, screaming for help!
OK, this old pig is less than cherry, but it is FREE!
Yes, you read correctly, free.
Bring your tow vehicle and I will even hook it up for you.
Heck, if you happen to be the lucky recipient and show up first, I will even throw in a well worn leaky old tarp so you can pretend to keep it from leaking and rotting any further!

Don't wait, don't hesitate, I can already hear the thunder of people rushing to my front door to take advantage of my incredible offer. But bring a mask and rubber gloves, it kinda smells and you don't want to catch anything by touching it.....

Yes, it's a fixer upper, more like a tearer downer, but it's free!
Pictures? Heck yeah, just email me and I'll send you all the pics you want of this poor lifeless old relic!

But seriously, I'm sure you can use this old heap for something.... Maybe a chicken coop?..
The possibilities are endless!
Your wife will love you more!
[emoticon][emoticon]

She loves it when I have projects that will keep me out of her hair.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

The trailer had a rated weight of about 2500 kgs.Once it is cleared off, if the frame is still good, I'll bring it to a friend who welds. They will reinforce the parts that need to be. The deck will be 3/4 plywood, which would be good for side by sides, quads, snow machines, or other lighter things. It would not be for hauling my truck or anything real heavy.

The ‘box’ of a TT is a huge part of the structural rigidity of the unit, take the box off the frame and it becomes a slinky on wheels.

Repurposing frames like that is huge in the aviation community, and if you never go very far or faster than 50km/h (35mph) they work just fine. Faster than that, or longer distances, the usual term used is “tail wagging the dog”.

Sell the trailer for $500 and use that money to buy a real trailer, not a component of a trailer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.