|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide topper noise dampening

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

And IME, many of the posters who comment on the flapping issue of slide toppers, don't even have them, they just have read or heard about it.

I wouldn't be without them, and I've never noticed the wind being an issue.

12 years with them ,1 year without. But yes most naysayers have never had them, I get the same noise about the Andersen hitch ,its what they have read or heard ,never towed an inch with one [emoticon]

Back to the subject, not sure I have any desire to get the slide toppers put on the present fifth wheel we have now, haven't seen any need so far. As far as the noise of the rain ,as said can't see a difference ,but they are two different fifth wheels . My long term stay in Montana ,there is trees, so I got up on top to check them. Nothing there to worry about, so that in itself is something I didn't have to do before, but not that big of deal. Time will tell .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I have yet to see the need.
If I will need beach balls and rope to tame the toppers why bother?
Never seen the need, nor the need to clean the tops of the slides when camping in the trees, or clean up the water that came in with a wet slide, or turn the fan on high because the heat generated by the sunshine on the slide is pretty darned warm, or cleaned up the water when the ice on the slide melted when the slide was brought in.

But did do all those things on the first trailer we had without slide toppers. Oops, forgot to list the problems with them...hmm, can't think of any. [emoticon]

FWIW, my dad used to say the same thing about indoor plumbing, but after he had it you couldn't have pried him out of it. He admitted it was the best thing since sliced bread, and he couldn't believe he waited so long.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first fiver did not have a topper, our motor home did and now our present fiver does. We stay on Hatteras Island about three months a year where the wind is almost constantly blowing. They are not an issue and yes, compared to our previous fiver they do keep the rain from pounding right over your head when you sleep. I would not want a slide without them. If your spring is tight flapping is a non issue.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Cherokee 274vfk has a superslide with a slide topper. We've never had any wind noise from the topper.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

frankwp

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are a classic example of someone coming up with a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. They are just one more thing that costs money & need maintaining & repairing.

2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Never seen the need, nor the need to clean the tops of the slides when camping in the trees, or clean up the water that came in with a wet slide, or turn the fan on high because the heat generated by the sunshine on the slide is pretty darned warm, or cleaned up the water when the ice on the slide melted when the slide was brought in.

But did do all those things on the first trailer we had without slide toppers. Oops, forgot to list the problems with them...hmm, can't think of any. [emoticon]

FWIW, my dad used to say the same thing about indoor plumbing, but after he had it you couldn't have pried him out of it. He admitted it was the best thing since sliced bread, and he couldn't believe he waited so long.

There are plenty of people who use beach balls and
/or rope with their toppers. I did not just make that up.
As far as leaves and debris. if there bad bad which it seldom is I'll blow them off with a leaf blower. I may have lots of leaves on top once or twice a year, certainly not every trip.

Some people took their indoor plumbing a step further and added a bidet. We are fine with a regular old toilet.[emoticon]

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Lantley wrote:

There are plenty of people who use beach balls and
/or rope with their toppers. I did not just make that up.
As far as leaves and debris. if there bad bad which it seldom is I'll blow them off with a leaf blower. I may have lots of leaves on top once or twice a year, certainly not every trip.

Some people took their indoor plumbing a step further and added a bidet. We are fine with a regular old toilet.[emoticon]

I have never seen anyone using flappers or deviced on there slide toppers in 30 years of RVing. but I have been camping in the same sites as people who dont have them and in the morning when it was time to leave all I had to do it bring in the slides then have a coffee while they pulled out ladders and cleaned all the tree droppings off there slides....

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On rare occasions when we're expecting prolonged high winds I toss a small poly rope over the length of our super slide topper and secure it underneath with a bungee cord. As far as leaves, twigs, snow, etc., accumulating on the topper, I've never had a problem with it dropping off as the topper rolls up. No rooftop trips to clean the topper needed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide topper noise dampening
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.