|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Registration Weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deserteagle56 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Register it for 14K then go camping and enjoy the new truck

In Nevada at least, that would cost a bundle. If I remember correctly my 17 year old Dodge is registered @ somewhere around 12,000 lbs and I'm still paying ~ $300 a year for registration. Price goes way up for every 1000 lb! A new truck registered for 14k would no doubt cost $1000 a year or more...my 5 year old F150 is $500 a year!

One of the very few things reasonably priced in New York State. A 13,500# 2 year registration for my $70,000 Ram would be $280.

Scott

2020 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srschang wrote:

The only reason I'm interested in increasing the weight on the reg is chatter recently on this board that California and BC are requiring non commercial trucks into the weigh stations. Will probably never go to California again, but will pass through BC on the way up and back to Alaska the latter half of this year.

Presuming your truck is fine as is registered in NY, you don't have to worry about other states' or countries registration laws. That would be like saying you cant drive your truck with camper with no license plate in a state that requires one.
Stop over-thinking it from that respect. This forum, while providing good info alot of the time, incites more false theories and worries and just generally paranoid views on some of the strangest things.

Heck, I drove through BC twice the same spring a few years ago, moving to AK. Once with a brand new F250, not in my name, paper tag stuck in the back window, loaded to the gills, rear suspension sagging pulling a trailer with a permanent license plate off of a different trailer I'd owned in the past in a different state. Even chatted with RCMP in the middle of nowhere. Pulled over to take a leak and he stopped to see if I was "ok." The following month, I had a 4500lb camper on the back of a 2500 with expired tags (just expired and didn't renew as I was moving to AK and not about to buy new tags just to buy new tags 2 weeks later) pulling a heavy trailer which I'd just bought and not yet registered, sporting the plate off my boat trailer that was left in the shop in WA.
Neither the CDN or US border cared.
Don't worry about what someone says about a place 3000miles from your home.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I reg. a past truck @ my GCVWR thinking I was doing the right thing, turned out all I was doing was giving my hard earned $$$ to NY DMV for free. Register your truck @ what reg. says it weighs. You can also reg. your 250-2500, 350-3500's as a passenger vehicle because you put a T.C. in it, insurance, reg.,tolls.... are all alot cheaper. Tolls alone will fill your tank 4-5 times a year. Inquire @ N.Y. DMV for the proper form. They'll tell you, you can't do it because of the weight, have a pic. of truck w/ T.C. loaded when you go there. DO NOT take "no you can't do it" for an answer it is 100% legal. No offense to anyone out there but DMV does not have all the brightest stars.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deserteagle56 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Register it for 14K then go camping and enjoy the new truck

In Nevada at least, that would cost a bundle. If I remember correctly my 17 year old Dodge is registered @ somewhere around 12,000 lbs and I'm still paying ~ $300 a year for registration. Price goes way up for every 1000 lb! A new truck registered for 14k would no doubt cost $1000 a year or more...my 5 year old F150 is $500 a year!

What County?
I am in Clark county and dmv doesn't ask about truck weight (they probably take whatever manufacturer list)
There is no commercial registration on trucks and I can't register truck as RV. Truck in CC is truck - end of the story.
Back in 2017 I paid about $800 for new F350 registration.
About $200 more than I would pay for truck alone in California, but again, in CA you also have to declare trailer weight
And again, other people experience, when they live in different state, or even different county has no bearing on what OP will face.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I've been reading I'm glad that I live in Utah.
Registered weight on my registration on my 2500 is blank.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srschang wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

srschang wrote:

So - I have a 2020 Ram 3500 that the dealer registered for 8900# when I bought it in March. I'm in NY state. No idea where they came up with that weight.

That's the unladen or curb weight, which means you have commercial plates. The reg form also asks for a "max weight", so that number should also be on the reg. It's really academic because if you're not for hire then you are not required to stop at weight stations, and the state guys won't be looking to pull you over for a safety check unless you look obviously unsafe on the road. The only "gotcha" is you need a CDL for anything over 26k lbs.

I would just leave it alone, why are you thinking you need to re-register the truck?

The current registration runs out end of February, and I need to reregister it for another two years. The only weight number on the reg is WT/Seats that says 008900.

The only reason I'm interested in increasing the weight on the reg is chatter recently on this board that California and BC are requiring non commercial trucks into the weigh stations. Will probably never go to California again, but will pass through BC on the way up and back to Alaska the latter half of this year.

ALL Weigh Stations in California have prominent signage that say NO PICKUPS

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This forum, while providing good info alot of the time, incites more false theories and worries and just generally paranoid views on some of the strangest things.
Grit dog wrote:

srschang wrote:

Presuming your truck is fine as is registered in NY, you don't have to worry about other states' or countries registration laws. That would be like saying you cant drive your truck with camper with no license plate in a state that requires one.
Stop over-thinking it from that respect. This forum, while providing good info alot of the time, incites more false theories and worries and just generally paranoid views on some of the strangest things. This forum, while providing good info alot of the time, incites more false theories and worries and just generally paranoid views on some of the strangest things.

Heck, I drove through BC twice the same spring a few years ago, moving to AK. Once with a brand new F250, not in my name, paper tag stuck in the back window, loaded to the gills, rear suspension sagging pulling a trailer with a permanent license plate off of a different trailer I'd owned in the past in a different state. Even chatted with RCMP in the middle of nowhere. Pulled over to take a leak and he stopped to see if I was "ok." The following month, I had a 4500lb camper on the back of a 2500 with expired tags (just expired and didn't renew as I was moving to AK and not about to buy new tags just to buy new tags 2 weeks later) pulling a heavy trailer which I'd just bought and not yet registered, sporting the plate off my boat trailer that was left in the shop in WA.
Best answer of the entire thread

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deserteagle56 wrote:

My 20 year old F150 in CA is $240 + smog every other year for another $60.
This includes a weight fee of $80

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 12:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience when crossing the border from US to Canada is they really care about banned produce and meats. However they do look at your license plates. I had temp tags once since the camper was brand new. They did ask to look at the registration and checked to make sure I really owned it. Luckily I had brought with me, all the paperwork from the sale and registration.

Driving throughout Alberta and BC however, we hardly ever saw RCMP and certainly were never bothered by law enforcement in the thousands of miles I've driven over the years.

I should mention however, that if they do happen to check your weights, unlike here in America, they look at the yellow payload sticker as a reference. And if you're overweight they can impound your rig. I was advised of this by a Canadian, but I have nothing other hearsay.

In the US, what I've heard from forum members, is that if there's a checkpoint they weigh your rear axle and compare that to the load ratings of your rear tires.

That's why you can register a class III 14k lb GVWR truck as a 15k or 16k truck in California.

Grit dog wrote:

2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 12:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Can't help you there. In California all pickups are treated as Commercial Vehicles. But only a Class C is needed to operate unless you are towing over 10,001 with a bumper pull or 15,0001 pounds with a gooseneck or 5th wheel then you need a class A. I have my F350 dually registered at 15,000 which is over Truck + TC + plus tongue wt when towing. It is not cheap

Any idea how much more the registration would be for 15k lbs GVWR vs 14k? Mine's at 14k right now, but if I get a truck camper, I'm going to need close to 16k.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Registration Weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.