|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Registration Weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve never heard of anyone actually being hassled about weight ratings from the DOT while driving a pickup truck with a camper.
I do know all about the rules around here, I’ve run trucks of all sizes from 1-tons to 105,500 pound Peterbilts for a living for 30 years.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

I’ve never heard of anyone actually being hassled about weight ratings from the DOT while driving a pickup truck with a camper.
I do know all about the rules around here, I’ve run trucks of all sizes from 1-tons to 105,500 pound Peterbilts for a living for 30 years.

I recall 1 of our British Columbia member reporting such incident.
When execution of the law for TC still is not existent, the cash-hungry jurisdictions are finding new ways to increase revenue.
With high fuel prices - speeders are rare, so that revenue took nose dive.
I've been driving trucks in California for 30 years and in the past trucks were registered at curb weight, so registration fees were low and nobody enforced driving via scales.
Than about 10 years ago, CA changed the laws requiring truck owner declaration on GCVW, what in case of dually registering at 25,000lb add about $500 annual "weigh fee"
Than all those gooseneck trailers who were bypassing weight stations become Police target. I personally witnesses how many of them were harassed, becouse of brake-away battery was not fully charged and such.
Legally each commercially registered truck (above 13,xxx LB GVWR) in CA has obligation to drive via all scales, when some scales require pickups as well. CA registered truck has weight stickers on cabin sides, so if you pay 10,000 lb registration and they check you for 11,000lb, you are in troubles.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

burningman wrote:

I recall 1 of our British Columbia member reporting such incident.
When execution of the law for TC still is not existent,

ya I have only heard of the one and it was a truck camper on I believe a 1/2 tone towing a trailer with two quads and canoes and such. so the front tires were almost in the air. point being is you took one look at it and said oh, thats just a little overloaded... [emoticon]

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Registration Weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.