|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> The weight issue again

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just spoke to a woman who was refused at permit at Mexicali because her GVWR door sticker was 7800 lbs. As we know, it's supposed to be cargo capacity, not GVWR, but some crossings are still doing this. I also had 2 reports of the same thing happening at La Paz. We have an Airstream caravan crossing next Jan in Baja then crossing on the ferry at La Paz. Having a bunch of them refused permits at La Paz would be a disaster. I know this can probably be resolved by doing them on line, but the last time we tried that we had 2 rigs that never got their permits.

So my idea is to take them to organ pipe, have them go down get permits and tourist cards south of Sonoyta then cross back into the US and drive to the Tecate crossing. They can probably do that leaving their trailers behind at Organ Pipe. So my question is, has anyone had issues getting permits on 3/4 or 1 ton pickups at km 21 south of Lukeville? I think some of the newer 1/2 tons may be over 7710 GVWR.

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That might work but January 2022 is a ways off.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your spelling Paul - something is off. GVWR includes passengers, payload, fuel, etc. - GVWR does is not the payload rating.
The GVWR on my F350 dually is 14,000 lbs.

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You misunderstood Paul. Itis the Mexican official that is m isinterpreting the door sticker. They are looking at gvwr and calling that the gross weight. This has been the problem for a few years.

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moishe & Rich, I know all of that, Its confusing and the SAT regs distinctly say cargo capacity, so does the Banjercito site. IN SPANISH. Unfortunately in their English version its says GVWR. (note misspelling as well of GVWR) Compare the 2 screenshots below.

Rich yes GVWR includes all those things and that is the maximum allowed by the manufacturer. GVW is the actual weight at any given time. Cargo capacity is GVWR - Curb weight.

[image]

[image]

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh wrote:

You misunderstood Paul. Itis the Mexican official that is m isinterpreting the door sticker. They are looking at gvwr and calling that the gross weight. This has been the problem for a few years.

What a mess.

rswzz

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In answer to your original question, I have always crossed at Lukeville/Sonoyta and get my permits at San Emeterio Aduana (20 km east of Sonoyta) en-route to San Carlos. Last trip down (Nov 2019), I was driving a 2009 Silverado 2500HD with a 9200 GVWR. I have never had a problem getting permits. I am always pulling my fifth wheel so I can't speak about any problems concerning getting the trailer permit without it being with you. I do recall that they were using a digital camera to take photo's of the window VIN tag and Door sticker on the tow vehicle and I do recall them photographing the VIN tag on my Trailer. Also note that as of Nov 2019 they did not issue Tourist Visa's at San Emeterio but you had to get it at the border crossing. I have always stopped at Why Az the day before and I would drive down to the border and walk across to pick up my Tourist visa ahead of time. There is virtually no parking on the Mexican side of the border crossing for a single rig, much less a group.

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rswzz wrote:

In answer to your original question, I have always crossed at Lukeville/Sonoyta and get my permits at San Emeterio Aduana (20 km east of Sonoyta) en-route to San Carlos. Last trip down (Nov 2019), I was driving a 2009 Silverado 2500HD with a 9200 GVWR. I have never had a problem getting permits. I am always pulling my fifth wheel so I can't speak about any problems concerning getting the trailer permit without it being with you. I do recall that they were using a digital camera to take photo's of the window VIN tag and Door sticker on the tow vehicle and I do recall them photographing the VIN tag on my Trailer. Also note that as of Nov 2019 they did not issue Tourist Visa's at San Emeterio but you had to get it at the border crossing. I have always stopped at Why Az the day before and I would drive down to the border and walk across to pick up my Tourist visa ahead of time. There is virtually no parking on the Mexican side of the border crossing for a single rig, much less a group.

Yes I remember that hassle, I thought they were maybe issuing them at the permit place further south by now.

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to go back and forth through the years.

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For several years we would spend the afternoon and night before crossing the border at Lukeville/ Sonoyta!
There is or was an old and quite run down but serviceable RV Park on the east side of the highway called Gringo Pass! Sometimes we were charged a small fee and other times not!
There was plenty of space for everyone in our group who stopped there, the park probably held 300 units in its headey!

It’s quite visible on Google Earth and Maps!

As stated it’s run down and May now be inaccessible Today!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> The weight issue again
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.