RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ford super duty 3.31 rear end. Will it be a big mistake. ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ford super duty 3.31 rear end. Will it be a big mistake. ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I don't understand why buy a truck and have it downshift with 3.31 gears when it would hold the gear its in with 3.55 gears? What's the logic in buying a truck for TOWING that will do more down shifting vs. one that would perform better while towing?
What am I missing?

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fowlthing

Roger, AR

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thought is that while in tow haul mode..it won't downshift excessively ... and provide better fuel mileage... most of my miles are not loaded...

But you make a good point if you buy it to tow...then get something to tow with... if a person wanted to save money.. don't buy a camper to begin with..lol.

So far most of the people have been happy with the 3.31

2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fowlthing wrote:

My thought is that while in tow haul mode..it won't downshift excessively ... and provide better fuel mileage... most of my miles are not loaded...

But you make a good point if you buy it to tow...then get something to tow with... if a person wanted to save money.. don't buy a camper to begin with..lol.

Ok the idea is better MPG's. Maybe if I never towed 3.31 would be preferred. However given a choice for someone who TOWS 3.55 will always provide more towing performance.
MPG difference between 3.31 and 3.55 can't be much?[emoticon]
I guess you could make the same argument that towing performance improvement between 3.55 vs. 3.31 can't be much!....[emoticon]
Either way I'll go with towing performance. A diesel pick up will never deliver great MPG's. However I want all the performance I can get when pulling a long steep grade.

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is all about torque. The torque multiplier is accomplished by the differential and transmission. The higher gear ratio of the differential buts more demand on the transmission to produce the torque for high loads. That means the transmission works harder to make up the torque. So in a practical sense, it boils down to how often the truck is required to pull heavy loads vs no loads. A good indication is how often the truck shifts gears to maintain the speed limit with normal driving. Diesel trucks are not as sensitive to torque demands as a gas truck.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

fowlthing wrote:

Ok the idea is better MPG's. Maybe if I never towed 3.31 would be preferred. However given a choice for someone who TOWS 3.55 will always provide more towing performance.
I guess you could make the same argument that towing performance improvement between 3.55 vs. 3.31 can't be much!....[emoticon]
Either way I'll go with towing performance. A diesel pick up will never deliver great MPG's. However I want all the performance I can get when pulling a long steep grade.

How will 3.55 gears perform better than 3.31 gears on a 7% grade towing a 17k fiver? (A 7% grade should be steep enough to slow the Powerstroke down to about 58 mph towing at 25000 lbs combined weight.)

* This post was edited 01/23/21 06:52pm by 4x4ord *

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Lantley wrote:

fowlthing wrote:

How will 3.55 gears perform better than 3.31 gears on a 7% grade towing a 17k fiver?

Believe me I'm no expert. But the higher ratio always provide more torque to the wheels. Granted it will also use more fuel.
In the old days before multi speed transmissions one would use 4.10, 4.3 4.56 gears to improve towing performance. Now with multi 10 speed transmissions. The ratio is less critical become the tranny has more gear to adjust to nevertheless it is still my understanding that higher ratio will provide more power at the wheels all other factors being equal.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^At 25000 lbs and on 7% grade a 475 hp truck will pull down to about 58 mph. The difference in 3.31 gears vs 3.55 gears is this:
If the truck with 3.55 gears and 34” tires will be running at 2600 rpm in 6th gear it can put out 475 hp.
The truck with 3.31 gears and 34” tires will be running at 2800 rpm in 5th gear at about 56.4 mph and it will be putting out about 462 hp.

But if the hill gets a little steeper the 3.31 ratio equipped truck gains hp as it slows down where as the 3.55 equipped truck will loose power as it slows. So really both gear ratios will perform extremely well with loads under about 18000 lbs. once you get into dually territory 3.31s are no longer as desirable nor are they available.

hondapro

Central Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^^At 25000 lbs and on 7% grade a 475 hp truck will pull down to about 58 mph. The difference in 3.31 gears vs 3.55 gears is this:
If the truck with 3.55 gears and 34” tires will be running at 2600 rpm in 6th gear it can put out 475 hp.
The truck with 3.31 gears and 34” tires will be running at 2800 rpm in 5th gear at about 56.4 mph and it will be putting out about 462 hp.

But if the hill gets a little steeper the 3.31 ratio equipped truck gains hp as it slows down where as the 3.55 equipped truck will loose power as it slows. So really both gear ratios will perform extremely well with loads under about 18000 lbs. once you get into dually territory 3.31s are no longer as desirable nor are they available.

4X4ord nailed it either ratio will work great.I doubt you would notice much difference between the two when driving.

Steve
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel
2015 Springdale 311RE

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 3.55 is better for the transmission, it ain't about the drivers comfort or convenience. I wouldn't want to pay for repairs on a 10 speed transmission.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

The 3.55 is better for the transmission, it ain't about the drivers comfort or convenience. I wouldn't want to pay for repairs on a 10 speed transmission.

Why is 3.55 better for the transmission?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ford super duty 3.31 rear end. Will it be a big mistake. ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.