|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Max Payload Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 12:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You just asked the same question that gets asked here almost daily, so do some reading and some basic math and if you’re still concerned, weigh your setup because you don’t even know what it weighs.
Hint, camper is about 4000lbs.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Brochure weight for my camper is 2826 lbs.
Fully loaded for camping it weighs 3960 lbs.
It takes 100 lbs off my front axle.
Rear axle empty, 2900 lbs. With camper, 10540 lbs.

I think you meant your total weight is 10540 lbs ,not just the rear axle .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

specta wrote:

Brochure weight for my camper is 2826 lbs.
Fully loaded for camping it weighs 3960 lbs.
It takes 100 lbs off my front axle.
Rear axle empty, 2900 lbs. With camper, 10540 lbs.

I think you meant your total weight is 10540 lbs ,not just the rear axle .

Yep, not sure how I missed that. [emoticon]

Rear axle with camper 6960.

Thank you.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your best bet as mentioned is to hit the scales and see what the real weights are.

It's unclear, do you have a SRW or a SRW truck?

Either way, tires are only one aspect that can limit weight.

Also, check the Ford towing booklet for 2006. It also includes truck camper weight limits which are usually lower than the payload. I'm not positive but I suspect it's related to the high center of gravity.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This Forum could use a sticky on determining camper weight.
In any case using the manufacturer's specs can lead to grossly underestimating the actual weight. First manufacturer's specs often do not include typical accessories such as an A/C unit, microwave, awnings, etc. Next, many users also add their own mods and accessories. Those might include solar and/or generator, an upgraded and often very heavy foam mattress, steps, additional battery, etc. It is also easy to forget about mods needed to carry the camper. Tiedowns, fastguns, bed mat, SuperSprings/airbags/swaybar or other suspension mods can total a lot more than the weight that is saved by removing the tailgate. At this point it is necessary to add another 1000#, usually referred to as personal items. That seems high but often is an underestimation. This category includes food. A couple of weeks supply and a loaded refrigerator can add several hundred pounds. Also included are clothing, camera/computer/hobby gear, cleaning supplies, toiletries, bedding, cooking gear/plates/flatware/etc, tools, air compressor, lawn chairs, leveling blocks, BBQ grill, and a host of other items we often forget to include. The 1000# estimate needs to be increased due to any special, heavy items some campers bring such as zero gravity chairs, screen house, extra tools, firewood, bicycles and rack, etc.

Also be aware that almost every item listed will be carried by the rear axle, wheels, and tires. The weak links are the wheels and especially the tires. Depending on tire size the load capacity is likely to be 3200-3750 each for a total of 6400-7500. The truck itself is likely to have an axle weight of 3200-3500#, leaving a load capacity of 2900-4300. Again, those maximum weight estimates are based on tires alone. Personally I would like at least a little safety margin. Tires get old and abused with use and especially if take down gravel roads and similar, not to mention driving at highway speeds on a hot day.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moonlitsouls wrote:

thanks guys , i already got myself a firestone ride right air kit , i wonder if upgrading the real leaf springs would also be good?......

Adding the air kit doesn't change your load rating. It merely allows you to level out the truck when you're hauling. Closest thing I've got to you, and I don't think the specs changed in 2006, is my 2005 F350 SW, short bed. At the scale, with me (210lbs) and 10gal of diesel, was 8280lbs total, and rear axle 3440lbs. Tires are 3640lbs, limiting rear axle weight to 7280lbs, leaving 3840 for the trailer, minus whatever else I put in the truck, some of which goes slightly to the front axle.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

moonlitsouls

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image][image]

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is,my Lance weight sticker is almost exactly what my Lance weighs empty...Everthing I put in, changes the weight..2659# empty loaded varies to how much I take,usually around 3900 plus or minus.

moonlitsouls

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phillyg wrote:

moonlitsouls wrote:

thanks guys , i already got myself a firestone ride right air kit , i wonder if upgrading the real leaf springs would also be good?......

Adding the air kit doesn't change your load rating. It merely allows you to level out the truck when you're hauling. Closest thing I've got to you, and I don't think the specs changed in 2006, is my 2005 F350 SW, short bed. At the scale, with me (210lbs) and 10gal of diesel, was 8280lbs total, and rear axle 3440lbs. Tires are 3640lbs, limiting rear axle weight to 7280lbs, leaving 3840 for the trailer, minus whatever else I put in the truck, some of which goes slightly to the front axle.

Here’s what I’m taking from this thread, I just bought the wrong truck for my camper. I’m going to be way overweight on the rear axle. What can I do?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^My takeaway, from real world experience, is your truck is fine for that camper, with some minor upgrades to handle the weight better.
You may or may not believe that. Depends if you believe the folks who believe if you exceed the factory “ratings” in any way, that you are overloaded and consequently unsafe. Or if you believe the other side of the coin, folks who use these trucks in the exact same manner without issue year in, year out.

Like I said, do your research and you’ll realize the actual issue is in your current understanding of the capability of your truck, not the actual safe capability of your truck.

Caveat, you do have an older truck, so my statements are based on it being in good physical and mechanical condition.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Max Payload Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.