|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> winegard automatic swm3 antenna

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"No LNB Voltage". Does anybody know where the problem may be? It worked fine last trip but now the dish turns completely upside down with the LNB arm vertical. Makes one revolution and back, then stows.

Had a guy washed my roof and I got back from an errand to find him using a pressure washer, which is a no_no, but I was too late. This is the first trip since, so I guess that must be related to the pressure washer. I unplugged the 6 way on the back of the controller and replaced but to no avail. When the rain stops I hope to look for a damaged wire.

* This post was edited 01/24/21 03:06pm by mikestock *

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two possible issues

1: he pulled slightly on the coax and it came, Slightly out of the connector. Story follows.

2: he soaked something not to be soaked (low odds if it's on the roof because GOD soaks most of what's up there from time to time)

Story:
After I moped my roof the OTA antenna did not work.

Dug into the roof (There was a clamshell I had to dig out and unscrew) and just there was a set of 3 connectors. Two Male F-Connectors on on the cable from the box inside and one to the antenna. and a barrel connector.. Rusted to beat the band..

I re-dressed both cables (Cut off a small bit and put on new connectors. WEATHER PROOF connectors) and a new double female (barrel) and ... TA-DA. it worked. 100 percent. Continued to work up to mid-october when .... Well I stopped using it. (Far as I know it still works)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. It's been raining since we're been here. I hope I can get up there tomorrow and see what I can see.

dapperdan

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, the fact you just had your roof washed my be coincidental. We had the same "no voltage at the LNB" message and after calling Winegard for tech support it turned out to be a faulty cable from the LNB to the turrent. I ordered a replacement, while waiting for the replacement I made one up from a piece of coax I had laying around. Sure enough, it was indeed that short cable!

I used my "homemade"cable for a few weeks but eventually that one went bad (I expected that to happen though) and installed the factory replacement and NO troubles since! [emoticon]

Good luck with your situation.

Dan

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dapperdan wrote:

Hi, the fact you just had your roof washed my be coincidental. We had the same "no voltage at the LNB" message and after calling Winegard for tech support it turned out to be a faulty cable from the LNB to the turrent. I ordered a replacement, while waiting for the replacement I made one up from a piece of coax I had laying around. Sure enough, it was indeed that short cable!

I used my "homemade"cable for a few weeks but eventually that one went bad (I expected that to happen though) and installed the factory replacement and NO troubles since! [emoticon]

Good luck with your situation.

Dan

I haven't had a chance to look. Did this cable have regular RG6 connectors on both ends?

My dish would turn completely over lake a saucer, make a complete 360 search with the lnb arm pointed straight up and then return to the stow position. Was your experience similar?

Did you get CS help from Winegard?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is most likely the cable between the LNB and the base. It might just be the connector at the base if it got hit with a pressure washer. Remove the LNB cable and ensure it's clean and dry. If not, clean, use some dielectric grease and reinstall. If that does not fix it remove the LNB and detach the coax and run a new one. Standard coax can be used to replace the skinny coax to test the unit.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

It is most likely the cable between the LNB and the base. It might just be the connector at the base if it got hit with a pressure washer. Remove the LNB cable and ensure it's clean and dry. If not, clean, use some dielectric grease and reinstall. If that does not fix it remove the LNB and detach the coax and run a new one. Standard coax can be used to replace the skinny coax to test the unit.

Thanks. That sounds a lot like what Dapperdan was describing. The Biblical rain has stopped so maybe my wife will let me go back up there. I have some Deoxit and a kit to make coax to size. Maybe this will work.

Rocky2

Ventura, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 Dapper Dan. Winegard explained the problem and sent me the cable no cost. I wasn't in a hurry so that worked out just fine.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The connector at the LNB was clean as a whistle . The one at the box was a little corroded. I scrapped the center wire with a knife and Deoxed all of it. Didn't work. There are 3 coax connections in the base. Is it possible they are interchangeable? Thanks.

dapperdan

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't had a chance to look. Did this cable have regular RG6 connectors on both ends?

My dish would turn completely over lake a saucer, make a complete 360 search with the lnb arm pointed straight up and then return to the stow position. Was your experience similar?

Did you get CS help from Winegard? "

Our dish operates the same as yours. I didn't notice any corrosion on either end of that short cable I replaced. To be honest the faulty cable didn't "look" bad but obviously was. I managed to be able to use my "homemade" cable for a little while but I made it a bit too short and eventually that one failed. The replacement has been working great ever since. [emoticon]

As to those other connections on the base you'd have to call Winegard and ask them, I have NO idea if they'd work or not. I reconnected the replacement cable to the same terminal on the base.

Dan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> winegard automatic swm3 antenna
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.