|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Spare on Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
vjswhippet

Cleveland, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new Class C does not have a spare tire. When I asked the dealership about it, they told me I wouldn't be able to change it anyway. Yes, I know that but it doesn't make sense to me NOT to have one for Roadside Assistance to change it for me. Or do they have tires in stock to bring with them ?

Vickie Smith
Kansas City area
2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're lucky in that our RV has a spare. Several friends of ours have no spares and have had to get the tire that roadside had available. Some times you must wait longer for them to get a tire or pay much more for the tire they bring. One of them had to settle for a cheap tire of another size since the roadside company didn't have one of their size. Now they carry a spare tire (just the tire) in the bottom of one of their storage bins.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harley-dave explained it very well. The RA company may or may not have the correct size tire or they may or may not be able to get what you want.
And, you are at their mercy for the cost of the tire.
Find somewhere you can store/carry an unmounted tire. This will give you the correct tire and size at the best price.
Or, do you feel lucky?

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on my C there was a rail around the roof in the rear ,bought just the tire ,had a water proof cover made with tie down straps. worked great,never had to use it. I will never travel without one.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a good welder to fabricate a rack/tire holder at the rear of your rv.
You can buy the hand-crank tire assembly but a welder may have to add a support bracket.

Check the Lippert crank down rack from etrailer.com
There are others less expensive if you do a search but be careful attaching a spare tire to your square tube bumper.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your dealer is making excuses. While it's not exactly something one would do for fun and relaxation, changing out a wheel for a spare on a typical class C is very much doable by ordinary persons. The lug nuts on mine are tightened to 140 ft-lbs, which is well within what one can muscle with something like a two foot breaker bar. The wheels are heavy and unwieldy, but not impossible to move around (and they can be rolled).

I have the spare mounted on a cable lift mechanism underneath the motorhome, and that works out nicely if you have a spot where it can go. Some pickup trucks use a similar sort of a mechanism. (If such a lift were too close to the back of the motorhome, you'd run the risk of it being the first thing to scrape when you encounter a steep transition in the pavement such as at some gas stations.)

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the "I don't care about the spare" category. The last flat I had was as a teenager in 1972 on a motorcycle I bought from a friend for $100. But I do always replace my tires early and check the pressure and tire wear regularly.

If you're talking about the motorhome in your signature, the F-450 is very common and, should you need a replacement tire, will be easy to find. If you buy and carry a spare you have to remember to replace it every 7 years. If you're constantly replacing unused tires because of their age, that's wasted money. If I happen to need a tire on the road, even if they charge me double the going rate, I'm still way ahead on money.

So, no spare (or roadside assistance plan, or extended warranty) for me. I self-insure on everything, and over the years I am way ahead financially. On the rare occasion I need something, I rely on a credit card and the promise of a really good tip to the person taking care of me.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Older RV's tended to come with spares - some of the newer ones don't. The dealer is correct that carrying a spare doesn't guarantee that your capable of changing the tire -- but it does guarantee that you have tire/rim when the mobile tire repair outfit shows up to do change the tire.

Kevin

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I am boondocking in the middle of nowhere and I have a flat. I don't want to gamble that I will have cell service and that the repair shop will have the correct tire. I personally will always carry a spare mounted on a good rim.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Spare on Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.