|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So once you get to Key West then what? So much more to do traveling west, touring the west. Not sure how much time you have, but we took a month to go see Grand Canyon, monument valley, Rushmore just to mention a few. I’d say we need 2-3 months at least to see it all. Of course we only travelled 200-250 miles a day to prevent burn out.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just FYI, many places out West will still have snow in May -- it depends on the year and how much snow we get. June is great -- all of the waterfalls are running.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try to make reservation at National Parks or at BLM/NFS campground 6 months out. I need reservation for my large 5er. That is July 26 now. Otherwise I dry camp without reservations.

Not much to do in Key West except get drunk and see the sunset. Try the 5 NP in south Utah for something to really do.

I am leaving from TN mid-May for YS, Canada Rockies (????) and WA/OR. Return mid-August. 10,000 miles and 14 weeks round trip.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditch Key West and Go West Young Man!!!

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to CO last year at the last minute. Granby CO. 20 minutes south of RMNP. Nothing was closed, but we needed to get passes for RMNP for a certain time to get in. IDE say you'll be better off with a western trip, lots of options to do at the last second.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodtrucker wrote:

So do I need to pre book the trip? That’s really only thing west worries me about.
Other than that, I think we can burn 3 weeks but that’s about all the time we’ve got.

The answer to the need to "pre booking" will largely depend of where you want to RV and the time of the year. Areas that are popular will need reservations i.e. Calif. and Oregon ocean parks, summer and spring months. Make your reservations and cancel if you need to, be on the safe side.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make your reservations and cancel if you need to, be on the safe side. wrote:

And that is a major problem for RVer's. People with that attitude and the lack of financial pain for cancellations. Parks need to start charging people for cancelling at least within a couple of weeks of the date. Otherwise park spaces are denied to people who would really use them.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out west is SO FAR for three teens when there is so much to see on the east coast. For ideas I'd do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the state or city or area in the blank space for ideas from the experts. I assume you have been to Colonial Williamsburg and Norfolk shipyard, Washington DC where you could spend a week easily.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

woodtrucker wrote:

So do I need to pre book the trip? That’s really only thing west worries me about.
Other than that, I think we can burn 3 weeks but that’s about all the time we’ve got.

The answer to the need to "pre booking" will largely depend of where you want to RV and the time of the year. Areas that are popular will need reservations i.e. Calif. and Oregon ocean parks, summer and spring months. Make your reservations and cancel if you need to, be on the safe side.

I think this year is going to have challenges with getting reservations due to the huge increase in RV'ers. I made reservations for our July & August stay in Maine last year. I was looking at other places on the way up and then heading out west in late August and found many of the places we've stayed at in the past are already booked.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

woodtrucker

riner, va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeH,
That's exactly my concern with not prebooking. I feel like an extended stay at the outer banks might be a little more fun and less hectic. I can also book that right now for a late april/early may voyage as well.

2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner
2003 keystone cougar 281 EFS-31ft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.