|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 10" hitch riser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Class B+ and have recently purchased 2 ebikes along with a Kuat bike carrier. The carrier is made for ebikes & RVs. I think I need a 10" hitch riser to give visibility to my taillights & licenses plate. Is that an excessive rise for stability sake? I do plan on using a hitch stabilizer on the riser.
The carrier is rated for quite a bit more weight than the 2 bikes weigh, so I'm OK from that stand point.
If a riser of that height won't work, I'll have to devise something for the taillights & plate to be visible.
thanks

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 10" riser might work. but I would worry about it amplifying the vibrations.

I went with a 1-Up-USA rack for my ebike which works great. One of the reasons I went with it over the Kuat (other than I thought it was far superior) was the ability to add a lighted license plate holder. Look under accessories to see what it looks like. Perhaps you can engineer something similar for your rack.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stability should not be a problem given the limited weight. See if you can borrow a riser and try it. It will move the carrier and bikes back about 6-8". Will there be any issue with license plate visibility?

I'd probably add LED lights to the carrier.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

years back I bought a riser of about that height to use on a roof top boat carrier and there was a warning that as I remember could only be used to lower, not raise, something that much. just add tail lights to the carrier you have.

bumpy

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi garmp,

I would try the 10" riser and see how it goes. It seems like you'd be okay since you are not using the riser to tow a trailer.

You mentioned using one hitch stabilizer. I would use one on each of the two connections to minimize or eliminate the thrashing of your E-bikes.

Ron

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

You mentioned using one hitch stabilizer. I would use one on each of the two connections to minimize or eliminate the thrashing of your E-bikes. Ron
X2 I use 2.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

You mentioned using one hitch stabilizer. I would use one on each of the two connections to minimize or eliminate the thrashing of your E-bikes. Ron

As for the bouncing that others have talked about to make it less pronounced You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver,thus magnifying the movement and doing any damage to the bike rack and Bikes

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type, or blue ox totally useless.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I have done to stabilize the bikes is just adding a couple of ratchet tie down straps. On my Carrier, the bike wheels sat in a carrier and I put the straps around the wheel and mounting cradle, the other end to the bumper bracket on the MH. On on each end of the bike and snugged down. Three point tie down made the bikes quite stable.
You don't need premium quality tie downs, think Harbor Freight (Princess Auto in Canada) or Walmart etc.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you try the bikes on the rack of the rv yet ? Are you sure the taillights are blocked ? They usually shine thru the spokes.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

As for the bouncing that others have talked about to make it less pronounced You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver,thus magnifying the movement and doing any damage to the bike rack and Bikes

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type, or blue ox totally useless.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.
That surely looks to be very easy to install. I like that!

I was surprised to read that you felt the Roadmaster Quiet Hitch was not effective. I use a riser with a Quiet Hitch at each connection as shown below. Once they are on, there is "zero play" in the system.

I like your recommendation specifically for the quick on/off feature. I leave mine attached all trip long which helps make the Quiet Hitch work.
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 10" hitch riser
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.